Is this safe to use ?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2013, 06:06 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: 17 foot boler
Alberta
Is this safe to use ??

hi folks ,

got this with my trailer :

i know it's a sway bar or hitch equalizer but is something this old safe to use ? and if i do decide to use it how does it attach ?

thanks Dave
vette_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:11 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Looks like a mechanical anti-sway device. These are sworn by and sworn at by many on this site.

Get Ye to a RV shop to check out what you have and if it is appropriate for your application. Most opinions here will only be guesses at best without knowing a lot about your tow rig etc.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:32 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I don't think they ever wear out, just rust up or get bent. You need all the parts if you wish to use it, obviously.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:32 PM   #4

Alberta
thanks bob ,

i'm towing with a 2008 toyota highlander , the equalizer ball is attached to the right side of the trailer tongue and the tow vehicle ball attaches to the hitch , not sure if that helps my description any .
Old 09-29-2013, 07:04 PM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
You might want to check your vehicles owners manual and see what their take is on Weight Dist, Hitches as well as anti sway gadgets. Some makers have a thumbs down on one or both. It also appears that some 2008 Highlanders have a tow rating as low as 2000 lbs. Again, check your owners manual.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:26 PM   #6

Alberta
thanks bob
Old 09-29-2013, 08:57 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
It's not safe if it jams when you need to turn. It's not safe if you are counting on it for sway control and it doesn't produce enough frictional drag.

On the other hand, it's very simple, so as long as it is intact and still functional, it's about as safe to use as a new one.

For the price of these things, if there's any doubt I would just toss in a metal recycling bin...
Ultra-Fab Friction Sway Control for Weight Distribution Systems Ultra-Fab Products Weight Distribution UF35-946204
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:42 PM   #8

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
David,
I received one of those with my scamp when I purchased it used. I had the same questions. I took it to Camping World and discovered they sold new units just like it. They said they were effective at slowing the effects of sway. I decided to try it out just to see if it had any benefit. The install was a little involved, as only the trailer end was there from the previous owner. I looked up online to get the locating info for the tow vehicle end ball attachment. The small ball was available at Camping world. I welded a mount to my existing draw bar which basically sticks out perpendicular to the draw bar on the passenger side. I believe I used 5/8" x 1 1/2" steel roughly 5" long. It must be stout to handle the forces applied while turning. I first tuned the handling by balancing the load without using the anti sway device, then experimented with the device and different amounts of friction. (tightness with the handle) I found the device to further reduce sway from a properly balanced trailer. The benefits are noticeable and worth the slight inconvenience of hook up. The one peeve I still have is the retainment system of hitch pins slipped through the elongated slots on the couplers. In my experience, the hitch pins are subjected to some force by the balls moving inside the couplers. This tends to straighten out the bend in the pins. This causes the pins to fall out of the couplers. Not good.... I have used nylon tie wraps to secure the pins, but that is not a permanent solution. Possibly something like one of those giant safety pins would work better as it couldn't open up. I think the instructions recommend that the user loosen the tension screw before backing up the trailer, but I have not had any problems from not loosening it, so I don't know what the thinking is on that. Sometimes you will hear creaking or clunks emanating from the bar while maneuvering.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:56 PM   #9

Alberta
thanks brian , thanks for the info russ you answered most of my questions , do you leave the handle loose or do you tighten it so the bar can't move freely ?
Old 09-29-2013, 11:11 PM   #10

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Here's a little info that might help explain, Just click on sway bar and it will scroll down to the info for

Common Weight Distribution and Sway Control Questions | etrailer.com
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:20 AM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by vette_boy View Post
hi folks ,

i know it's a sway bar or hitch equalizer but is something this old safe to use ? and if i do decide to use it how does it attach ?

thanks Dave
I'm glad you sought advice of others about your purchase, as I'm sure that the following pictures show us what's out there from previous owners.
Attached Thumbnails
image0011.jpg   image0033.jpg  

image0022.jpg  
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:24 AM   #12

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscal View Post
David,
. The one peeve I still have is the retainment system of hitch pins slipped through the elongated slots on the couplers. In my experience, the hitch pins are subjected to some force by the balls moving inside the couplers. This tends to straighten out the bend in the pins. This causes the pins to fall out of the couplers. Not good.... Russ
The straight side of the pin goes through the coupler of the sway device and the slots are positioned "below" the ball.
If I understood you correctly, that should solve the problem which you described above.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:34 AM   #13

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
hi folks ,

thanks Dave
Age of the device is is pretty much irrelevant....condition and application are what matters. Properly used and in good condition, these things are a nice addition.
Like any device, it is pretty much of no value to those who don't understand it's use and application.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:30 PM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
You can buy a new one for about $30 at Harbor Freight. On the linked page, there is a product manual that you can download to understand how it is mounted.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:40 AM   #15

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
The straight side of the pin goes through the coupler of the sway device and the slots are positioned "below" the ball.
If I understood you correctly, that should solve the problem which you described above.
Floyd,
Yes, that is the way I assumed the pins to be inserted. I have also explored all other ways they could be inserted. None seem to allow them to remain un-distorted. I will replace the hitch pins with a closed end type.
Russ
Old 10-01-2013, 12:45 AM   #16

California
Quote:
thanks brian , thanks for the info russ you answered most of my questions , do you leave the handle loose or do you tighten it so the bar can't move freely ?
I believe the device is intended to be run with the levered bolt tightened down all the way. The friction is dialed in with the other bolt that has no lever by using a wrench. That way you have a reference of optimum adjustment each time you hook up, and you wouldn't need a wrench each time to set friction. You will have to experiment to determine how much tightness works on your rig.
Russ
Old 10-01-2013, 09:21 PM   #17

Alberta
thanks Russ