Is wheel center bore critical? - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-08-2016, 09:29 AM   #1

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 13
None
Is wheel center bore critical?

I'm having a new axle installed on my Scamp 13 in a few weeks. The axle was purchased from Scamp directly. As a result, I need to replace my 4 lug wheels with 5 lug wheels.

In researching, I find that the standard lug pattern seems to be 5 on 4 1/2, but that the wheels have differing center bore dimensions.

I also find that on some axles, the center bore only needs to be large enough to fit over the hub (lug centric) on other axles the center bore must be an exact fit (hub centric).

My question, does anyone know, off hand, which Scamp uses? Is the center bore critical when replacing Scamp wheels?

Old 03-08-2016, 11:10 AM   #2

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
There are basically two kinds of wheels. Hub centric and lug centric.
My VW has hub centric wheels and that means that the wheel is kept centered by the fit to the hub.
My Scamp and all of the trailers I know about are lug centric which means that they are centered by the cones in the lug holes and the cones on the inside of the lugnuts.
The center has to have enough clearance time fit over the hub in this case.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

Old 03-08-2016, 01:00 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
Obviously it's critical that the center bore is greater than the hub diameter. Other than that it makes matching up the wheel holes to the studs easier when mounting the wheel to the drum, (if you just hang the wheel on the pilot then rotate the wheel only until the stud and hole line up) but once you snug up the first conical lug nut it's pretty much served its purpose.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:15 PM   #4

Name: Duane
Trailer: trillium
New Brunswick
Wheel center hole that just fits the hub is stronger, and should the nuts loosen, it may help the wheel stay on until you can stop safely.
If the wheel is held only by the lug nuts they can pull through the holes in the rim very quickly if there is much of a load involved. Measure the hub diameter with a caliper or dividers and shop around for rims that fit your new axle properly. I lost a wheel one time and never want to relive that experience. A trailer wheel that loosens may not be heard or felt in the tow vehicle at all !
Old 03-09-2016, 02:36 PM   #5

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
If you want hub centric wheels, I think you are limited to steel very plain wheels only. Every "fancy" steel or alloy wheel I've seen has been lug centric so the decorative cap can be used.

There are thousands of lug centric wheels in use. I've used lug centric wheels on many vehicles without a problem.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:32 AM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
The studs/nuts are got going to pull through the wheel holes. The studs will break first. I have nothing against hub centric or bolt centric wheels but that's not one of the issues to concern yourself with.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:45 AM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L. View Post
The studs/nuts are got going to pull through the wheel holes. The studs will break first. I have nothing against hub centric or bolt centric wheels but that's not one of the issues to concern yourself with.
There is a photo that was recently posted on a Casita group of a wheel that did exactly that, but the stud holes cracked out to the spoke holes in the rim. This was caused by a sway condition. Must have been a real serious sway, as it tore one wheel right off and cracked the other at the stud holes. An unusual extreme case for sure, and amazingly the trailer stayed upright.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:23 AM   #8

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
There is a photo that was recently posted on a Casita group of a wheel that did exactly that, but the stud holes cracked out to the spoke holes in the rim. This was caused by a sway condition. Must have been a real serious sway, as it tore one wheel right off and cracked the other at the stud holes. An unusual extreme case for sure, and amazingly the trailer stayed upright.
This is most likely a problem with loose lug nuts causing localized stress at the lug holes.
There may have been incorrect nuts or wheels, but the lug nuts will not pull out under anything resembling normal operations.
I noticed that my Flexiride axle calls for 90 ft.lbs on the lug nuts and cautions that these need to be retorqued regularly especially with new rims that have not had the paint worn off where the lug nuts seat and the back of the rim where it mates to the hub.
Cracking is normally an indication of repetitive stress and not a single event.
I have not found the picture, but I have a lot of industrial experience at looking at all modes of failures.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:47 AM   #9

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I scooped those pictures from Facebook
Attached Thumbnails
CrackedWheel.jpg   Trailer.jpg  

CrackedWheel2.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:16 AM   #10

Florida
Loose lugnuts are to blame here. You can see where the holes were wallowed out.
The repetitive stress caused the cracking before the wheel came off.
Looking at the surviving one is a better indication.
These are safety wheels that have the compression ridge around the inner and outer part of the clamping zone and if they are not torqued properly this can happen.
This is why you are cautioned to torque the wheels!
The inner part of the wheel is made to deform slightly to allow for the proper stress to be built up between the lug nuts and the wheel and not get loose, but it depends on the nuts being tight enough in the first place.
This is actually safer and more reliable than a flat surface in this area.

Check the torque on the lug nuts like the manufacturer says!

Sway did not cause this, but I guarantee that the trailer swayed a lot when it lost a wheel.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:18 AM   #11

Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Thanks Donna, kinda looks like loose nuts on the wheel that is still on the trailer. May have contributed to the uncontrollable sway. I'll let the other analysts decide. Certainly an extreme condition whatever happened.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:20 AM   #12

New York
Owner stated sway occurred when they were passed by a big truck. No report of speed
Old 03-10-2016, 09:31 AM   #13

Florida
The passing truck could have been what put the side load on the trailer to precipitate the sway, but those wheels were ready to come off anyway.
I have seen a lot of race car wheels that had lugnuts not tightened properly and in the car the vibration is very noticeable. but on the trailer not so much. Which is why many do not bother to balance their trailer tires.
No passing truck caused the sway that damaged these wheels!
This was an accident looking for a place to happen
Old 03-10-2016, 09:51 AM   #14

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
Lug nuts can also be over torqued putting excess stress on a small area of the wheel. I have seen steel wheels with spider web like cracks around all the lug holes and there was rust in between some of the cracks indicating they were old. This could have been caused by over torqueing. An air impact wrench, used improperly can easily overtighten something. The purpose of using a torque wrench is to get it right. Not too loose but not too tight.