Its Back - J2807 New Common towing Standard - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-20-2014, 12:48 PM   #15

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
For must of us on this forum who are towing very light to medium sized loads we need accurate specs and testing which would make up good numbers. The folks at SAE have not addressed this level of TV which is unfortunate.

According to the Standards SAE International website the SAE J2807 it was in fact written for all vehicles up to 13,000 GVWR not just trucks

" This document establishes minimum performance criteria at GCWR and calculation methodology to determine tow-vehicle TWR for passenger cars, multipurpose passenger vehicles and trucks. This includes all vehicles up to 13 000 lb GVWR."

So it seems they did take into consideration the lighter passenger cars/SUV's and vans that many here tow are light fiberglass trailers with and explains why Toyota used it on all the vehicles in their 2014 model year line up that they have put a tow rating on.

As Floyd says there is a lot of factors that go into making a good tow vehicle and one needs to educate themselves in order to make a decision as to what works for you.

This is simple just one more tool that a consumer can use to help them decide if they need a Dual axle Hemi truck or a Toyota Corolla in order to get a safe/comfortable tow with a 17' Boler or if perhaps the answer is neither.

The consumer now knows that as far as the testing goes they are comparing apples to apples not Corporate lawyer to lawyer as some here have suggested in the past as to how/who sets tow ratings.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 03:27 PM   #16
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
As Floyd says there is a lot of factors that go into making a good tow vehicle and one needs to educate themselves in order to make a decision as to what works for you.
No doubt Floyd and I are on the same page when it comes to his statement above.

Old 12-20-2014, 03:53 PM   #17
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
" This document establishes minimum performance criteria at GCWR and calculation methodology to determine tow-vehicle TWR for passenger cars, multipurpose passenger vehicles and trucks. This includes all vehicles up to 13 000 lb GVWR."

So it seems they did take into consideration the lighter passenger cars/SUV's and vans that many here tow are light fiberglass trailers with and explains why Toyota used it on all the vehicles in their 2014 model year line up that they have put a tow rating on.

The consumer now knows that as far as the testing goes they are comparing apples to apples not Corporate lawyer to lawyer as some here have suggested in the past as to how/who sets tow ratings.
This is news to many of us as you have shown. They will be testing all vehicles. All I can say is Wow. That will be a lot of man hours of work for the auto companies.

It really makes one wonder how this will all come about. The variables involved with the whole towing deal. Hummmmm.

I'm thinking the tow ratings on many smaller vehicle, mini vans, etc are dramaticly going to go up now that the lawyers and marketers are being squeezed out of the process. These vehicles will be more in line with the off shore ratings or may be even higher with the use of the WDH.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:04 PM   #18

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:

The question is... what sort of apples are they selling?... I like to make my own choices for my own "applecations".

This could be the first time we would be required to be "PC" when choosing "Apples"!

Old 12-20-2014, 05:19 PM   #19

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
This is news to many of us as you have shown. They will be testing all vehicles. All I can say is Wow. That will be a lot of man hours of work for the auto companies.

It really makes one wonder how this will all come about. The variables involved with the whole towing deal. Hummmmm.

I'm thinking the tow ratings on many smaller vehicle, mini vans, etc are dramaticly going to go up now that the lawyers and marketers are being squeezed out of the process. These vehicles will be more in line with the off shore ratings or may be even higher with the use of the WDH.
Actually some of them went down & some up on the 2013 model year (as well as the years prior) from various manufactures - cars and trucks - and lots of people yelled here about the ones that went down as it was not fully understanding the probable reasons behind it. Ford has acknowledged that the tow ratings on the all newly redesigned 2013 Ford Escape for example were in fact established using the SE J2807.

The reason why they have all been testing for a number of years now is very simple. The auto makers had all agreed the new towing standard would be in place for their 2013 model year offerings. So no surprise they all started running those tests in the years prior thus the down grading of some tow ratings and the up grading of others that took place in 2013 & in some cases the years prior. It was also no surprise that a number of the auto makers also introduced redesigned vehicles in 2013 (the Ford Escape being one) - some suggest that was to avoid having to down grade their tow ratings if they had stuck to their old vehicle design as some suggest Subaru had to do on their 2013 Forester based on the SE testing - the 2013 model year was based on the same design they had been using since 2009.

It was only when one of the BIG 3 decided at the last minute that they where going to pull out of the deal that the other 2 big 3 members decided to pull out as well, so the other manufactures who had signed onto the deal also bailed out .... all except Toyota. Toyota on the other hand decided to carry on as planned and actually advertised on their 2013 and 2014 models they were using the new towing standards. Funny enough the popular RAV4 got a big new redesign in 2013 as well ;-)

Here is an interesting article from earlier last year that more or less explains the mess that took place in regards to why those who had agreed to implement in 2013 pulled out of the deal:
Automotive News - Pickup truck towing Standard isn't standard.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:55 PM   #20

Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
Florida
Registry
Actually, Toyota started using the J2807 standard back in 2011 for their Trucks.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:32 PM   #21

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
. Ford has acknowledged that the tow ratings on the all newly redesigned 2013 Ford Escape for example were in fact established using the SE J2807.

It was also no surprise that a number of the auto makers also introduced redesigned vehicles in 2013 (the Ford Escape being one) - some suggest that was to avoid having to down grade their tow ratings if they had stuck to their old vehicle design as some suggest Subaru had to do on their 2013 Forester based on the SE testing - the 2013 model year was based on the same design they had been using since 2009.

. Funny enough the popular RAV4 got a big new redesign in 2013 as well
Who are these "some" who have suggested that the tow ratings on the previous generation Escape were not legitimate while it was only "funny enough" that Toyota did the same with out such disparaging implications?

It would , I suppose, be a simple enough matter to subject the 2012 Escape and 2012 RAV4 to the test to determine whether they met the new standard with the old models. This could then send thousands of Toyota and Ford owners, impelled by this latest Zeitgeist, scrambling to their dealers to trade in their proven TVs to avoid certain and imminent death due perhaps to the fact that they may have taken an extra half second to reach 60MPH!
BTW, in my state, contests of acceleration on public roads are illegal.

Who initially asked SAE to come up with a universal standard, and how did they determine that SAE was more qualified than the manufacturers to set standards for their respective products?
How much bullying has been done to get the manufacturers to comply?

This whole thing brings to mind the one important bit of truth imparted to me by my high school algebra teacher. He said....
" You know son...liars may figure, but figures don't lie!"
Old 12-21-2014, 06:14 PM   #22

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
The 0-60 and other acceleration standards have nothing to do with "Speed Contests". They have to do with safe driving, i.e. can the vehicle safely accelerate when entering traffic etc.

I think that we have all had a vehicle pulling a trailer pull out in front of us at one time or another that made us wonder if it was every going to get moving at the speed of traffic.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:34 PM   #23

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I don't think Ford or Toyota give a hoot about the small trailer market. It's too small.
I have read that Toyota dropped the V6 ( and thus the tow rating ) in the RAV4 in order to fulfill CAFE requirements ( Corporate Average Fuel Economy ). The 4-cylinder was selling well. A friend who has managed Ford, Toyota and Honda dealerships ( sometimes two at a time ) told me, when I was buying my RAV4 V6 that they had many potential customers opt for the four because the V6 was too quick and scared them.
We, the small, lightweight trailer market are insignificant.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:49 PM   #24

British Columbia
Registry
Floyd can't say for sure who as you suggest bullied the manufactures into complying. It may have been members of the auto manufacturing groups themselves who got tired of one or the other making towing claims they did not agree with or a consumer group or it could simple have been the membership of the SAE themselves.

Why not have an SAE standard for establishing towing ratings? They have them for thousands of other items in the automotive industry - ranging from the measuring of engine power right down to headlamps.