Jacks for rear? On 13 scamp.? Needed or optional? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2013, 06:52 AM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: 13ft Scamp
Wisconsin
Jacks for rear? On 13 scamp.? Needed or optional?

Do you need to have the rear of the scamp on jacks when camping. I am seeing pics of people using them. If so is there a simple way to attach some to the rear permently like the front so you can just release and set parked.?
Mcmarkrazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:54 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
There will be rear stabilizers on you New Scamp.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:10 AM   #3

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
There will be rear stabilizers on you New Scamp.
NoI bought an old used one without any ..lol
Old 08-28-2013, 07:21 AM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
You definitely need rear stabilizers. With out them you could end up with the tongue coming off the ground when you go to the back of the trailer. Think teeter-totter. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:23 AM   #5

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
You definitely need rear stabilizers. With out them you could end up with the tongue coming off the ground when you go to the back of the trailer. Think teeter-totter. Raz
Ya now to think about it we always put a firelog under or popup too just to make sure.. The ones I found at the scamp website best price option?
Old 08-28-2013, 07:27 AM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcmarkrazz View Post
Ya now to think about it we always put a firelog under or popup too just to make sure.. The ones I found at the scamp website best price option?
Don't know about the scamp prices put some folks just carry a couple of scissor jacks. Walmart $20. Junk yard??
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:28 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
This is like what Scamp uses (Atwood). Bolts to the back bumper inside the frame rails. Not a bad price for two but you also need the steel adjusting bar. Search for RV stabilizers for other choices.
2 Trailer Stabilizer Jacks Swing Down Levelers RV Camper Cargo Utility | eBay
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:30 AM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcmarkrazz View Post
NoI bought an old used one without any ..lol
Honestly, I ran across a newby last year who did not know about the rear stabilizers which are "hidden" up under the bumper on each side.
Sorry to ask ...but did you look behind the bumper face?
If they are gone, there should be two bolt holes on each side of the bumper, outboard on the top surface.

We did remove our stock stabilizers and replaced them with BAL crankdowns, they are very strong and stable, in fact they can even be used to change a tire or service the bearings /brakes.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0004.JPG   DSCF0012.JPG  

DSCF0013.jpg  
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:12 AM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
This is like what Scamp uses (Atwood). Bolts to the back bumper inside the frame rails. Not a bad price for two but you also need the steel adjusting bar. Search for RV stabilizers for other choices.
I have these on my UHaul and think that they work great.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:32 AM   #10

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
As Raz mentioned; I was with a friend at a campground. He invited my wife and I to join he and his wife for breakfast We came over and three of us were seated at the table, all set up, and the pancakes were put on the plates, coffee set out. His wife came back and sat down, there was some movement by one or all of us. The next thing we knew were were sliding to the rear of the seating. water, coffee, plates, etc. following. When we came to rest, we had been scrambling to keep hot things from making contact with us. Hot pans came to the rear as well. Rick my friend didn't put the stabilizers down! Now yes or no to the stabilizers? Good luck!

Later Kenny
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:20 AM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
LOL have a friend who went for a ride in her Scamp without the tug when she went to the rear of the trailer to put groceries away but didnt realize her husband had disconnected the trailer from the tug and had not yet put the rear stabilizers down or blocks under the wheels.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:31 PM   #12

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I have these on my UHaul and think that they work great.
We have the same thing but bought them from etrailer, the steel bar to adjust them was only a couple dollars extra but I have an old heavy screwdriver with a round shank that I ground down the tip and I use that to set the jacks. With that I have a nice handle. It's one of those old screwdrivers that the metal shank goes all the way to the top.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:18 PM   #13

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
And then there are these little buggers that came with our camper. But I am really thinking that me like those ones on Floyds rig.....

And yes wife did ask what that thing was doing in the house when I took the picture, in case you wondered.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:58 PM   #14

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
And then there are these little buggers...
I had to shorten a set of those and make a "U" shape top piece to use on the front corners of our Uhaul.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:55 PM   #15

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
I never use the adjusting bar anymore. I find that if I level it on "Legos" side to side, lower the front a bit below level, lower the rear stabilizers to the ground, and raise the front to level it puts just the right amount of tension on the stabilizers.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:16 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
LOL have a friend who went for a ride in her Scamp without the tug when she went to the rear of the trailer to put groceries away but didnt realize her husband had disconnected the trailer from the tug and had not yet put the rear stabilizers down or blocks under the wheels.
Way too much weight in the back of the Scamp. I can jump up and down in the back of mine and no tippy.. Groceries (canned foods) go in the front of my Scamp. Bedding (sleeping bags) in the rear compartment. The trouble with so much weight in the back is you're much close to sway when towing.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:19 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
I never use the adjusting bar anymore. I find that if I level it on "Legos" side to side, lower the front a bit below level, lower the rear stabilizers to the ground, and raise the front to level it puts just the right amount of tension on the stabilizers.
I have used the adjusting bar, but very little. What you're doing is almost same as me, except I use a BAL wheel leveler instead of legos.

Tags
scamp