Jeep Cherokee as tow vehicle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2012, 08:28 AM   #1

Name: Michael
Trailer: Looking
Florida
Question Jeep Cherokee as tow vehicle

-Hi. I'm new to the site and new to trailering. My wife and I are looking for something about the size/weight of a Casita 17 ft Deluxe. I'm concerned about the tow vehicle. I want a decent car/truck that won't break the bank on fuel mileage with or without the trailer. But, then, don't we all???

-Is anyone using a 4.0 liter automatic tranny Cherokee as a tow car? Does it have to be a 4x4? What differential ratio do you have? (Jeeps range from 3.08:1 to 4.56:1)

-I have the opportunity to rebuild a Cherokee into just about whatever I want and am eagerly soliciting suggestions.

-Thanks!!!
NVSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:23 AM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
I have pulled my 13'er with my wife's Grand Cherokee, 4.0, auto, 4X4. She gets about 22 mpg and I get about 20 when I drive it that's without the trailer.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:40 AM   #3

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
i don;t know the two rating of that car, though my son has one. we tow a 13 foot scamp with our liberty, and other then thinking brakes would be nice on a 17 footer, i would not hesitate to hook up to one.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #4

Florida
Smile Thanks for the information

John & Greg,

-Thanks for the information. The Grand Cherokees are significantly larger than the "regular" Cherokees even though they have the same engine and transmission. Do you know what differential ratio you have?

-I'm not sure about the tow rating for the Cherokees either. Different sites have posted different loads.

-You both mention the Scamp 13; I suspect that these are quite a bit lighter than the Casita 17. I'll have to do more research.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #5

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I tow my 2001 13 Scamp which is slightly over 2,500 lbs(which includes the tongue weight) with a regular 1993 Jeep Cherokee automatic, 4x4, inlne 6, 4.0 litre, rated at 5,000 lbs for towing. No clue what the differential rate is. My Jeep came with the tow package so it has a beefed up radiator & oil cooler and whatever else comes with the package.

My Cherokee tows the Scamp just fine. It does want to go down into 3rd gear on inclines. I live in the foothills of the Sierra's and always leave the Jeep in 3rd gear while towing. I don't think there is a road nearby where I could leave the Jeep in drive. About the only time I put it back in drive is when I'm out on a freeway. Of course not while on I-5 going over the Siskiyou's on the way to Oregon. But then it's not in drive on I-5 going south over the Grapevine towards LA either.

I always think about the 5,000 lbs tow rating. I can't imagine towing anywhere near 5,000 lbs. My Jeep lugs down to 40/45 mph on lots of roads I travel but then we are talking up elevation. If you live in the flat lands of these United States it is another story. From Nebraska through the Great Lakes and back, I marveled at being able to drive in the Drive gear. I even got 19/20 mpg back there. My normal mileage here in the West while towing is 15/17mpg.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:43 AM   #6

Indiana
The Cherokee's are all the same size, just different shapes, the Sport is kinda sorta square and the Grand's are a little rounder or pointed at the nose. I have owned both shapes and I prefer the sqaure ones but my wife likes the rounder ones.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #7

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
My GC is a little wimpy up hills too, But I'll get there--kind of like the tortise and the hare.
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:25 PM   #8

Florida
Exclamation Thanks for the information

Regarding the Cherokee as a tow vehicle: thanks to everyone who has commented on my question. I’ve learned quite a bit so far. It appears that a properly equipped Cherokee will tow 5,000#, in fact, I came across Cherokee ads stating that. Unfortunately the ads also refer to an undefined “tow package” which I have to assume is more than a Class III frame hitch and wiring for lights. I can’t see what they (Jeep) did to the rear suspension: stiffer springs maybe? Different rear end? According to the Allpar site (www.allpar.com) discussing the Cherokee Police package:

“Front and rear springs and shock absorbers were from the Up-Country package; the front and rear sway bars were heavy duty items from the towing package. The cooling system and power steering pump were from the Laredo towing package with air conditioning, and a transmission cooler was standard. The MJ metric-ton Dana 44 rear axle was retained for years, providing the Cherokees with heavier-duty axles than civilian models…” (http://www.allpar.com/squads/police-cars/cherokee.html).

So here we have references to the towing package in general, the Up-Country package, the Laredo towing package and a Dana 44 rear end. It sounds as if virtually everything related to running gear would have to be changed; mucho dinero. Then I also wanted to do “stuff” to the 4.0 to get more power out of it; there are lots of options there.

Oh, well. There’s always that Ford F-150 for sale down the street.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:24 PM   #9

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Joy, how is it that your Scamp 13 weights over 2500 lbs? I think Floyd has posted his Deluxe with every option weighing in around #1750 or so.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:49 PM   #10

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
Joy, how is it that your Scamp 13 weights over 2500 lbs? I think Floyd has posted his Deluxe with every option weighing in around #1750 or so.
I weighed mine just off the delivery truck at a local grainery and it weighed 1700lbs. Mine is a standard 13 with no bath or water heater but has all the other options, including air & furnace.

I had it weighed a couple of years ago at the Oregon gathering by Frederick and it just over 2500 lbs, with the fresh water tank full. I've added the generator and a box to the tongue. I carry my 55watt solar panel inside. I have a microwave, they are mighty heavy. I have my mountain bike on the back plus it's rack. Then I just have all the other stuff people carry. Other than that I don't know!!!!!

You'd be surprised how much all your stuff weighs if you were to take it all out and weigh it.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:38 AM   #11

Indiana
If you look at the Jeep Forums they will tell you that the 4.0 engine has just about been as tweaked as it can go over all of it's years of service by the factory. The Jeep people say that if you want a performance Jeep get the V8 Jeep. The add on gadgets and parts for the 4.0 offer such small advantages that it's not really worth it. If you add a bigger throttle body to get more air into the engine then you have to change the exhaust to get it out of the engine. You can chip the computer and get a practically unnoticeable difference. Just get a V8 Cherokee if you want the power.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:12 AM   #12

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVSmith View Post
-Hi. I'm new to the site and new to trailering. My wife and I are looking for something about the size/weight of a Casita 17 ft Deluxe. I'm concerned about the tow vehicle. I want a decent car/truck that won't break the bank on fuel mileage with or without the trailer. But, then, don't we all???

-Is anyone using a 4.0 liter automatic tranny Cherokee as a tow car? Does it have to be a 4x4? What differential ratio do you have? (Jeeps range from 3.08:1 to 4.56:1)

-I have the opportunity to rebuild a Cherokee into just about whatever I want and am eagerly soliciting suggestions.

-Thanks!!!
I say 4.0L, 6CYL, 2WD, 3:55 gear with limited slip.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:23 AM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
That's 1950# stocked and ready to role.

Joy;
Good thing you have over 300# tongue weight, since your axle is rated no more than 2200#.
Melissa may not realize that you pack to go and stay gone!
Old 04-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #14

Indiana
Floyd, why would you want a two wheel drive Jeep? That's like having a boat with no motor.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:42 AM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
Floyd, why would you want a two wheel drive Jeep? That's like having a boat with no motor.
I wondered the same about an automatic transmission.
But we're talking Tugboat not riverraft.(I know...No motor on a riverraft)
Offroading and towing really need different tools.
On pavement and anywhere you can sanely take a Casita, there is no advantage to 4WD. The limited slip does what is needed without the need to lug around an extra drive train, leaving more for tow capacity. If you want 4WD, then a 3:73 gear might be a better choice. But there goes your best fuel economy.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:05 PM   #16

Indiana
True, if you use the Jeep as a dedicated tow vehicle but I use my vehicles for everything.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:56 PM   #17

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
I have an 2001 Cherokee, 4.0, 2 wd, manual transmission, specs that I searched the country for specifically to have as a tug. I found our low mileage, rust free, Cherokee in Clabourne, Texas. I have gotten as high as 25+ mpg on the highway and 17 mpg around town when not towing. Though my usual mileage on the highway not towing is about 23 mpg. On a recent trip towing my Lil Snoozy from SC to Pa with as much as 60% of the distance very mountainous, I got 17+ mpg, traveling at a usual 62 mph.
I believe 2 wd is the ideal for a tug. I also like a manual transmission, though I may be in the minority on this one. Admittedly, backing up with a manual can sometimes be a nuisance. For me, automatics take all the romance out of driving.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:10 PM   #18

Indiana
Ah, but if it was 4X4 you could use 4low and get out and watch it back itself in.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:36 PM   #19

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Thanks for the correction, Floyd. I knew it wasnt over 2000 lbs but couldnt remember if it was 1750 or 1950.

LOL, no, I didnt know Joy stayed gone. Now that I see what she carries I can imagine the weight being up there. In our T@b we only carry sleeping bags/pillows, 1 towel per person, smallest toaster oven, paper eating/drinking items with plastic utensils, 1 small skillet and 1 small sauce pan, a plastic spatula/spoon, ziplock baggies, trashbags, paper towels, all purpose spray cleaner, whisk broom, clothes/food/toiletries for the trip. If it's cold we bring an electric ceramic heater to save propane and if warm a small fan. We all bring our Nooks too and a small portable DVD player.

Most of my cabinets are empty as is all the space under the large bed. Well, I also carry 2 choks, a rubber mallet, screw driver, knife (multi tool), zip ties, duct tape, small WD-40, caulk, rope, plastic folding stool, toilet chemical, tiny weather radio, lantern and flashlight.

I'm guessing a couple hundred pounds at most. I bet as we travel we will add things but this is the stuff that came out of our popup.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:12 PM   #20

Name: Al
Trailer: 1982 13 foot Scamp
Wisconsin
If you want the info about your Jeep...gear ratios,Dana axles,etc,go to your Jeep dealer with your VIN and they can look it up...even the date it rolled of the assembly line.
ScampBum is offline   Reply With Quote