Jeep GC V8 vs. V6 - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-02-2014, 04:03 PM   #71
Name: Tim
Trailer: Casita
My door sticker says 34 pounds (I think). But I see 44 on the Michelin tires. So I filled them -10% than the tire sidewall number says because I have seen posts saying both use the number from the sticker and number from the tire. The tires were at 40 from the dealer. They do vary with temp and altitude on the EVIC display. I understand more tires are blown under inflated than over.

Burtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:15 PM   #72
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Originally Posted by Burtim View Post

Yes. I watched the transmission temperature. It never went much above 204 or so degrees so I got tired of looking at it and assumed it wasn't a problem. It was always well below the engine temp. It does rise as the engine temp goes up, but never reaches anywhere near the same number unless, I suppose, you are keeping the engine hot for hours on end.

I am an instrument rated pilot, so I started the trip out including everything in my "scan" just as in an aircraft. When things stay the same or don't change much, I scan them less often.
All right!! When you can have 204* or less on a long climb at 50 mph, you have nothing to worry about. That is good to know!

I agree with you that having some extra tire pressure is best when towing.

Your addendum about eco mode is very interesting. I was guessing that it would shift too much or something (and get too hot) if not in sport mode. But it doesn't! The electronic controls just make things easy. It didn't seem to make any difference in fuel economy whether you made the shifting decisions or the Jeep made them, either.

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... --Ecclesiastes 3
Mike Magee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:48 AM   #73
Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Glad you think as much of your JGC as I do of mine. I did the same experimenting with manual shifting vs auto and came to the same conclusion, the automatic programming is just fine. This trans is much smarter than anything else I have ever driven. It knows not to up shift when you take your foot off the gas going downhill.

Denny Wolfe
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:19 AM   #74
Name: Tim
Trailer: Casita
That transmission is smart. It wouldn't let me shift down while descending sometimes either, without applying brakes and slowing down first. It knew shifting down would cause the engine to rev too high and would not allow it. It knew I was using the engine as the brakes at those times.

Burtim is offline   Reply With Quote