Jeep Gladiator pickup experience??? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2019, 09:13 AM   #21

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
The longer wheel base of the Gladiator will definitely be a benefit for towing. And I agree on the Firestone air bags. Without them, my trucks rear suspension would be bottomed out. The new HD leaf springs I put on my truck make a huge difference, but I still wouldn't want to run without the air bags for towing. As of now I've got about a 1" lift in the rear with those new leaf springs and the Bilstein 5100s I put on. I don't like the lift, but it really does help for towing so I put up with it.

"Mall Terrain". I hadn't heard that one! I like it. Play on all terrain. I've heard the term mall crawler and some others, but never that one. It might be my new favorite.

There's a lot of marketing going on, as always, to convince us of what we "need".

I can't debate whether the FJ was modeled after Land Rovers or Jeeps. Could be. The fact that both Jeep and the FJ40 were used by the US military is probably the reason I have that in my head.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 11:11 AM   #22

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
It wasn't as much you as Steve's comment that compelled my post. Just wanted to point out that a Subaru, or even Honda can do anything 80% of the people out there want to do, as far as "offroading".
A fair point, "off roading" means different things to different people. I would want the Rubicon because I do stuff like this (yes this is me in my FJ Cruiser on the Steelbender trail in Moab).
Attached Thumbnails
48276768686_2c1de3e53d_b.jpg  
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 11:16 AM   #23

Name: Kenny
Trailer: 16' Standard
Ohio
Registry
John,
I can't believe you need air bags in an F250, that's a 3/4 ton truck! How heavy is the tongue on that Escape?
Kenny in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 12:11 PM   #24

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny in Ohio View Post
John,
I can't believe you need air bags in an F250, that's a 3/4 ton truck! How heavy is the tongue on that Escape?
I think he was talking about his old Tacoma/Casita 16 rig.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 04:25 PM   #25

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Carlson View Post
A fair point, "off roading" means different things to different people. I would want the Rubicon because I do stuff like this (yes this is me in my FJ Cruiser on the Steelbender trail in Moab).
Yep Steve, I'd say you qualify for legitimately making full use of a Rubicon. I used to seek out those kind of roads, but now I mostly avoid them. IF there's just a short section of road like that with an epic campsite on the other side I'll drive them, but that's about it. Not with the trailer of course, which is why I stopped bringing it down to the desert with me.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 05:55 PM   #26

Ohio
Registry
Thanks Jon I see it now. I got lost between threads.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:02 PM   #27

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Motor Trend did a comparison of all the pick-up trucks in that size class....the Jeep truck
finished at the bottom of the group....no surprise to me....Jeep products are junk.

The Honda Ridgeline finished at the top of the group and has a tow rating of 5,000 Lbs.
Overall all the trucks in this size group were disappointing (Toyota was not included in this
Test.)....why ?...no reason given.....the test was televised on Tuesday October 8th.

IMHO the only truck I would buy would be a Toyota Tacoma with a very impressive tow rating ( check with a Toyota dealer for actual rating ).

I have been the happy owner of a 2007 Toyota
FJ Land Cruiser for the past 12 trouble free years.
Buy the best and you will not be disappointed.

Happy Camping.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 02:28 PM   #28

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Thanks for the feedback Patrick. Oddly enough, when I did a search for MotorTrend articles on compact pickups, I didn't find the one you referenced but did come across two other write-ups by MT on mid-size trucks.

8/23/29 - Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro, Jeep Rubicon Gladiator and Chevy Colorado AEV ZR2. Final ranking: 1) Colorado, 2) Rubicon and 3) Tacoma https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chev...mparison-test/

2/05/19 - Chevy Colorado, Ford Ranger, Honda Ridgline and Toyota Tacoma. Final ranking - 1) Chevy, 2) Honda, 3) Ranger and 4) Tacoma.
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chev...ma-comparison/

I'm on my second Tacoma but the other manufacturers have caught and, in my opinion, surpassed Toyota in many areas.

The Honda is unibody and all wheel drive (not same as 4WD); Either of which would disqualify it as a tow rig and/or play truck for me.

I still haven't made a decision but right now its Jeep, Chevy/GMC and then Toyota.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:27 PM   #29

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Almost totally off topic, but you don't need anything like a Rubicon for an offroading hobby, unless by hobby you actually mean being pretty serious about offroading. There is of course nothing wrong with buying what you want, and nothing wrong with overkill.

But I always have to smile when I see a certain type of jeeper pull onto dirt roads here and in southern Utah, all impressed with themselves driving down rutted, rocky roads. Then they get to the trailhead at the end of this "4x4" road and see multiple Honda Accords parked in parking lot This isn't meant to say you're one of those people; just pointing those people out.

The actual Rubicon trail? Yeah, you need something hardcore. 99% of the rest of the roads out there? You just need to know how to drive whatever you happen to be driving.

I saw one of those Gladiators in someone's driveway earlier this summer. I hadn't realized they were coming out with a Jeep pickup until then. I'm sure they'll be popular.
Have to jump in on this side note - we took a trip through Montana and decided to check out a "ghost town." We went up a road that said "No RVs" but we figured our 16' Scamp wasn't really an RV. A lot of rally racer wannabes were surprised to share the "trail" with our '92 Buick Roadmaster (woodgrain, of course), complete with the wife, three kids and the Scamp....
Mike McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:10 PM   #30

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McGuire View Post
Have to jump in on this side note - we took a trip through Montana and decided to check out a "ghost town." We went up a road that said "No RVs" but we figured our 16' Scamp wasn't really an RV. A lot of rally racer wannabes were surprised to share the "trail" with our '92 Buick Roadmaster (woodgrain, of course), complete with the wife, three kids and the Scamp....
That is hilarious. Good for you to challenge the status quo. What is life, or a camping trip, without a little "out of the box" thinking? (and the wood grain adds a special bit of flavor). Good job.

My Dad and I followed an old Oldsmobile through a "4wd only" trail in Death Valley some years ago. They scraped off a few parts we used to follow their trail. The whole idea of having to have the latest and greatest equipment to even think of venturing off road, is so ridiculous.

One of my favorite National Park road signs was one that warned "to steep for Jeeps". Someone had taken the time to write on the sign, "but not for VWs"
Old 10-09-2019, 11:57 PM   #31

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I followed a trail along a river toward the ocean and white sand beach on Haida Gwaii. On a fence post, alongside, was a cutout of a goose and below it said "Silly Goose". A little further along was another cut-out of a farm tractor.

No more than a few yards along the river bank, it got steeper and the rental VW bug began to slide toward the river. Did I mention the river was rising on the incoming tide?
Reversing, which was the only option, the VW continued to slide toward the river. I took the wheel and my companion pressed her 110 lb. body against the river side of the bug trying to prevent the inevitable.

We made it out without the assistance of the farmer who obviously supplemented his income, pulling vehicles out of the river and beach front.
So, ignore the signs, if you must.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:41 AM   #32

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
One observation concerning “Motor Trend”.....because they are a commercial enterprise they seem IMHO to tread lightly on many manufacturers....they do sell ad space and seem to protect their advertisers.
I watch their weekly program and have detected this trend....ergo: I do not trust their reports.....I do however put more trust in Consumer Reports because they do not rely on commercial ads to fund their operation.

Take any Motor Trend Reports with a grain ( or two ) of salt.
Talk to owners of Jeep Wrangler vehicles and you might discover some very unsatisfied consumers.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:39 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McGuire View Post
Hi Mike - Welcome to the board and good story. I've done similar things - sometimes intentional and sometimes not so much.

We were taking the ferry to Portsmouth Island (part of Cape Lookout National Seashore) a few years and struck up a conversation with a young couple with a Volvo AWD wagon. It was their first visit and the wife was a little concerned since the only access to the island was by boat. The private ferry that takes you over is really more of a barge with a motor and can carry only 6-7 vehicles.

For those not familiar with CALO, its a set of barrier islands off the NC coast just south of the more famous Cape Hatteras NS. The Park Service has an office that sells ice, a restroom with showers and 15 or so rental cabins but there is no other development. No roads, no permanent inhabitants - just twenty miles of unspoiled beach where you can set up your tent almost anywhere with no concern for neighbors.

The young folks had asked if we'd mind showing them around a bit and followed us off the ferry to the beach. When we reached the water, I pulled up beside a a chassis that had been uncovered by the wind and waves. When everyone got out, I commented to Cindy - "I'm pretty sure that's what left of the Volvo that was stuck when we were down here last month." The expressions on the couple were priceless.

Old 10-10-2019, 08:41 AM   #34

Ohio
Registry
I agree the Tacoma is a great tow vehicle after the springs are modified. I had three of them. The first was a 2005, the first year of the 2nd generation. It needed the frame replaced so I traded it in for a 2007. Used it to pull a Scamp 19 Deluxe. It had a call back to spray frame protection because of the surface rust. Then I got a 2015 Tacoma so as you can see I liked the performance and looks of the truck. So now I'm going to try the Jeep and next year I can give my opinion.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:11 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
One observation concerning “Motor Trend”.....because they are a commercial enterprise they seem IMHO to tread lightly on many manufacturers....they do sell ad space and seem to protect their advertisers.
I watch their weekly program and have detected this trend....ergo: I do not trust their reports.....I do however put more trust in Consumer Reports because they do not rely on commercial ads to fund their operation.

Take any Motor Trend Reports with a grain ( or two ) of salt.
Talk to owners of Jeep Wrangler vehicles and you might discover some very unsatisfied consumers.
Agree with you about MT but not all that impressed with Consumer Reports either since seeing two different evaluations on identical Chevy and GMC pickups several years ago. Maybe they've improved. As you suggested, talking with owners is good, trumped only by first hand experience. I'm a twenty year Wrangler owner Actually, I'm with you on this as well and I'd never have one as a primary vehicle but they sure are fun.

Al
Old 10-10-2019, 09:39 AM   #36

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
Consumer reports went out of their way to smear the Suzuki Samurai, and pretty much caused them to be taken off the market. They were sued and lost the case over it, as their claims were false.

The Wrangler is such an interesting vehicle. Consumer Reports didn't like them because they didn't compare well with the ride and handling of passenger cars. Well duh. Wranglers practically beg to be modified, but doing so brings other situations that need to be handled. I just laugh at the show Jeeps cruising the shopping malls. Ones that must never see a dirt road.

I agree they are not the best choice for a primary vehicle, just as they are not well suited to being modified primarily for looks. Huge tires, for instance, make them handle terribly, but look cool. Don't ever get behind one in the rain with the "flat fender" modification.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:50 AM   #37

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The question in my my mind is the extent to which the Gladiator shares the attributes of the Wranglers, good and bad. Assuming it does, that would make it a great vehicle for towing your trailer to a nearby 4x4 play area, but not so good for a transcontinental road trip, even if some 4x4 play on the side is anticipated.

Hard to say this on a trailer forum, but at some point a motorhome or truck camper pulling a Jeep (or a Samurai or a Baja VW) starts to make more sense. I see plenty out here.

My wife is one of those who, many years ago, just had to have a Jeep because it was cool. The two best days were the day she bought it and the day she traded it for a Civic. She still has a soft spot for Wranglers, but the ownership bug is cured.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote