Jeep Renagade Towing? - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-16-2018, 09:31 AM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: Scotsman
Washington
Jeep Renagade Towing?

Hey folks! Just bought a 2015 Jeep Renegade Latitude, rated for approx 2000 lb towing capacity by the dealer. Anybody out there towing anything with a Jeep Renegade, and if so what? We are looking to possibly roll into the fiberglass RV world! Thanks! ....BillEllin

BillEllin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:12 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
From what I've read, you need the 2.4L engine, 4x4 drivetrain, and a factory tow package to get that 2000 pound rating. Assuming all that...

A tow rating of 2000 pounds allows you to tow most 13' molded trailers, but no larger. A fully loaded Scamp deluxe front bath model with all the bells and whistles will push your limit. You will want a unit with brakes (not all have them) and 7-pin wiring with a brake controller on your vehicle.

If it were me, I'd stick with a more basic 13'er and keep the loaded weight well under 2000 pounds. The frontal area of a Scamp or similar, while fairly aerodynamic, is a lot more than the 20 sq. ft. used for tow testing in this weight class. If you can find a Hunter Compact Jr. or Trailswest Campster, which are both narrower and lower than a Scamp thanks to a pop-top design, even better.

Best wishes!

Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 02:42 PM   #3

Name: Jack
Trailer: Snoozy on Order
Virginia
Tow in a jeep

Sorry you would be pressing your luck. Add you people and equipment you would take, I am pretty sure you would be at your limit or over. You needed to first decide what you wanted as a camper than get a tow vehicle. Since Jeeps are usually rated at the bottom for quality, I would be careful towing.
If I won the award for laziness, I would send somebody to pick it up for me.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:49 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Jeep Renagade Towing?

Late thought... Make sure you look up towing in your owner's manual and read everything it says. It often contains specific requirements and limitations beyond the simple weight rating. Don't rely on a dealer to know every detail for every vehicle. Things like frontal area, trailer brakes, required equipment, tongue weight- it's all in the fine print.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote