Jeep Wrangler, Short Wheelbase, for Towing - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-24-2008, 10:16 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Florida
I have a 2002 Jeep Wrangler, Sahara, with their famous in-line 6 cylinder engine and 5-speed transmission and I do not wish to part with it. It lists tow capacity of 2,ooo lbs.

My quandary is, I wish to buy a scamp or Casita travel trailer and would much prefer a 16' but somehow feel that a 13' would be safer.

So, is anyone out there with experience towing with a Wrangler. Scamp says (by telephone) that I can, Casita says it is iffy so I am looking for first-hand advice...or second-hand even.

Thanks for considering it.

Old 08-24-2008, 01:38 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita
New River AZ
John....
There is someone out here in just the last two weeks bought a brand new 16'casita and tows it with a 6cyl jeep wrangler and even posted pictures and they said it drove real good...... even in the rain. If I can find the post i will put it here.
Joe

Update; found the link and it was from fakehipbob and you could probably pm him and get all the info you need..... It was post #21: http://www.casitaclub.com/forums/index.php...ost&p=98458

Joe

Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:32 PM   #3

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
My son went to rent a trailer at UHaul with his Wrangler and they would not rent him one because they said the vehicle did not meet their requirements to pull a trailer.

He went to a different UHaul place and rented a trailer.

A trailer can really whip a short wheelbase around so I recommend that you do not exceed the manufactures recommendations. Trailer weight and Total weight when towing. I for one would certainly want electric brakes on the trailer because they can be most helpful when you see the trailer trying to pass the tow vehicle and to help control sway.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:42 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
Here's a post about Jeeps from May
Old 08-24-2008, 04:21 PM   #5

Florida
Quote:
John....
There is someone out here in just the last two weeks bought a brand new 16'casita and tows it with a 6cyl jeep wrangler and even posted pictures and they said it drove real good...... even in the rain. If I can find the post i will put it here.
Joe
Joe...
If you find it, please post it please.

From all the info offered it confirms that a 13' is very doable, but since I would be in it a long time, I thought a 16' model with toilet & shower would be more comfortable. Otherwise, I'll forgo comfort for safety. My jeep is not the best option but I just like it...plus it is PAID FOR!
Old 08-24-2008, 04:31 PM   #6

Trailer: Eggless at the moment
I tow a 13" Play Pac with my 94 Wrangler. I have brakes. They did make a difference. I don't go fast. I don't take chances and I love the combo. My Jeep's paid for, too.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:48 PM   #7

Trailer: Casita
New River AZ
Quote:
Joe...
If you find it, please post it please.

From all the info offered it confirms that a 13' is very doable, but since I would be in it a long time, I thought a 16' model with toilet & shower would be more comfortable. Otherwise, I'll forgo comfort for safety. My jeep is not the best option but I just like it...plus it is PAID FOR!
John.... I found it and posted it above in my original post to you and then again here. He should be able to answer some of your questions.
Joe

http://www.casitaclub.com/forums/index.php...amp;#entry98458
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 06:04 PM   #8

Trailer: Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
I have a 2002 Jeep Wrangler, Sahara, with their famous in-line 6 cylinder engine and 5-speed transmission and I do not wish to part with it. It lists tow capacity of 2,ooo lbs.

My quandary is, I wish to buy a scamp or Casita travel trailer and would much prefer a 16' but somehow feel that a 13' would be safer.

So, is anyone out there with experience towing with a Wrangler. Scamp says (by telephone) that I can, Casita says it is iffy so I am looking for first-hand advice...or second-hand even.

I tow a 2001 16' Casita Spirit Deluxe with a 2007 Jeep Liberty (2wd). I don't know if the Wrangler is a shorter wheel base than the Liberty. I use an anti-sway bar and drive between 55 and 60 max. I know some people drive faster but that is my comfort zone. I have had no problem but felt with the length of vehicle that the 16' was the maximum that would be comfortable. I know others will have differing opinions and this is just my opinion. A 13' might have been "safer" but I saw so many people on the Casita forums with Libertys and 16' Casitas that I felt that would be okay for me. Of course if Casita says that it is iffy, I would much more respect their opinion than mine.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:48 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
If Jeep says 2000 lbs, then you are really sticking your neck out to exceed that -- The short WB gives the trailer a lot of sway leverage over the jeep to move the front end when you don't want it to be moved. I believe the Jeep Liberty has a longer WB, though I am not sure of that.

Even within the 2000 lb limit (which pretty much limits the choice to 13' eggs) I would be scrupulous about getting the weight balances right and keeping them right, including the weights in the Jeep.

I would also use as short a ball mount bar as possible to keep the overhang (ball to rear axle) as short as possible (long overhang gives sway advantage to trailer). I would also get trailer brakes because, aside from the usual reasons to have brakes, you may find yourself NEEDING to apply them to get your rig out of a moving mess...

Short WB, esp ones with high COG, have a bad enough reputation all on their own without sticking a trailer on the back, esp one that exceeds jeep's recommendations.

Also, I would take jeep owners' recommendations with a grain of salt as owners seem to be very proud of what their buggies can do -- The problem is we don't hear from the folks who did have major problems.

I recall talking to a camp host who wanted to get a Boler 13 to pull with his Samurai -- I tried to explain tow geometry to him but all he could do was repeat how the Samurai did such a good job of pulling stumps from the beach -- Stump power isn't going to help much when a fundamental sway imbalance rears it's ugly head (I'm NOT talking about the momentary sway one gets from a passing truck, but REAL sway).

I had an experience with a Dodge half-ton pickup (tow rating 2,000 lbs) being yanked all over a gravel road by my Scamp 13 -- Had to go to the opposing lane to recover -- No doubt whatsoever in my mind that if it had been a shorter WB, like a Wrangler, the whole rig would have been in the ditch.

It is my experience that when someone whose job it is to sell something to you recommends that you not buy it, that recommendation is worthy of serious consideration.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:45 PM   #10

Trailer: Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
I use the anti-sway bar and electric brakes. The towing capacity for the Liberty is within the range for my 16' Casita. I don't off road or pull stumps but do like the fact that my car is paid for and did take into consideration the safety of pulling 16' as opposed to 17'

As originally stated, I think if Casita does not recommend that you pull at 16 footer with that vehicle you should strongly consider their recommendation.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:52 AM   #11

Florida
Quote:

I am sorry but I erred. Casita DID NOT say it was iffy to pull a 16' trailer with my wrangler. I just called them back and the salesman with whom I spoke, most definitely said I could, even though it was on the top side of my tow capacity.

I have spoken with so many of late about this topic that my mind must have wandered a little, gotten a little confused, perhaps because of this darn grey hair I now have...well, at least I still have it, grey as it is
Old 08-26-2008, 10:49 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
I am sorry but I erred. Casita DID NOT say it was iffy to pull a 16' trailer with my wrangler. I just called them back and the salesman with whom I spoke, most definitely said I could, even though it was on the top side of my tow capacity.
Ahh, now we are back to REAL salesmen -- The DRY weight of a 16' whatever might be barely below the top side of your tow capacity (Casita 16' deluxe is already exceeding your capacity) but when you get some propane in the tanks and some water in the tank and some food in the fridge and some bedding and clothing, etc., you will be OVER the top side of the tow capacity... Will the salesman be there to help tow you out of the ditch?
Old 08-27-2008, 02:34 PM   #13

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Quote:

I use to tow a 21' Mastercraft X-star boat with a Dual Axle Trailer - with a 97 Wrangler - the boat/Trailer was over 3,250 lbs with full gear and fuel. I didn't go very fast, max speed being 55mph - but it did the job.

Being a fan of Wranglers, and owning 3 of them, I don't think it would be a problem towing a 16' Scamp...
Old 08-27-2008, 04:28 PM   #14

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
The rule of thumb is to not exceed 75% of the vehicle towing capacity.

People exceed posted limits on a daily basis and some even live to tell about it.