Jetta towing issues.... caution - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2011, 02:46 PM   #21

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Totally agree Floyd! You can add the Ford Explorer to the unibody list and it has a tow cap of up to 5000lbs.
I would have but that just happened last year and I didn't want to obfuscate the issue!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:52 PM   #22

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I would have but that just happened last year and I didn't want to obfuscate the issue!
Yeah, I was going to say that I used to haul the frames to the Louisville assembly plant, but that was several years ago.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:00 PM   #23

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Bochoff View Post
Thanks Carol...
By the way, I had brakes added to the trailer, as well as beefed up rear shocks on the Jetta.. I found the Jetta had plenty of power and, with the trailer brakes, stopped very well.
Your welcome. I'm just happy to hear you discovered the reason for the Jetta's tow rating or lack of before any harm was done to yourself, family or some unlucky person who happened to be following behind you.

I don't doudt that it felt fine towing but as you discovered one can never be to sure as to what is going on over time inside or under in regards to wear and tear. As has been rightly pointed out here a number of times the tow ratings set by manufacture are what they believe the car can safely tow. Lots of folks like to point at what the ratings are elsewhere in the world but the truth is the cars may not be built the same all over the world. In the case of your Jetta perhaps the attachment points are beefed up elsewhere. I know that in the case of my Subaru which is rated higher outside of NA - its been suggested its the rear suspension that is different. Who knows if thats true or not but I would rather play it safe and take the manufactures word for what it can safely tow than take advise on what it can tow from someone who didnt actually manufacture it.

Enjoy your new legal tow.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:04 PM   #24

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008
Like I said, most cars were not made for towing and 3500# is low tow capacity for trailers other than 16-17' fiberglass. The older cars that towed big trailers had a body on frame construction that the hitch was secured to. Today, pickup trucks have the same set up and that is why they can tow 7500-12000 lbs. The unibody is not as strong and that is the reason for the low tow rating. Therefore attaching a hitch to a unibody is not as strong as to a vehicle with a frame. Again that would be the weak point over time and over rough roads compared to using a framed vehicle.
The Jetta IS made for towing. The problem is that most people are not using the correct mounting points. The German hitches bolt to the bumper mounting points and are rated to tow around 3,500 pounds, depending on then year, engine, and transmission. US hitches for Jettas/Golfs mount to the thin sheet metal of the spare tire well on the left and the tow hook on the right.

The problem isn't the car... The problem is the way that the US hitch manufacturers design their hitches to work with it. I owned a turbo diesel Golf, and was never happy with the way the hitch installed.

My Toyota used existing mounting points for the hitch, which was a LOT more secure. My Subaru uses holes in the "frame" to mount the hitch. Very secure. In fact, very similar to the way the hitch mounts to my Sprinter Van.

I put this in the same category as many bumper hitches on trucks. The truck may be able to tow, but if the bumper isn't secure, then that becomes the weak point.

If you want to tow with a VW, you should look at Bosal or Westfalia hitches. Yes, they cost more... But they a FAR superior due to the mounting points.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:07 PM   #25

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
Yeah, I was going to say that I used to haul the frames to the Louisville assembly plant, but that was several years ago.
The list of vehicles that are not unibodies has been shrinking every year. Mostly pick up trucks left on the list now along with a few very big SUV's.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:16 PM   #26

Name: Paul
Trailer: 13' Boler 1977
Ontario
correct.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
The Jetta IS made for towing. The problem is that most people are not using the correct mounting points. The German hitches bolt to the bumper mounting points and are rated to tow around 3,500 pounds, depending on then year, engine, and transmission. US hitches for Jettas/Golfs mount to the thin sheet metal of the spare tire well on the left and the tow hook on the right.

The problem isn't the car... The problem is the way that the US hitch manufacturers design their hitches to work with it. I owned a turbo diesel Golf, and was never happy with the way the hitch installed.

My Toyota used existing mounting points for the hitch, which was a LOT more secure. My Subaru uses holes in the "frame" to mount the hitch. Very secure. In fact, very similar to the way the hitch mounts to my Sprinter Van.

I put this in the same category as many bumper hitches on trucks. The truck may be able to tow, but if the bumper isn't secure, then that becomes the weak point.

If you want to tow with a VW, you should look at Bosal or Westfalia hitches. Yes, they cost more... But they a FAR superior due to the mounting points.
Just to add to this though, the Bosal or Westfalia hitches you talk about are illegal in NA, the reason being is because of mandatory 10 MPH bumpers (or whatever you want to call them), the bumpers are designed to be hit at a certain speed and not cause any "unibody" damage, it has shocks that absorb the impact from slower hits.....

however if you instal a Bosal or westfalia hitch those small shocks are replaced with straight steel members, which do go into the "frame" (in order to be more robust for the trailer), ........which will damage the car when hit at the prescribed rating for the actual bumper.......

and Barrie, I also tow my Boler with a 2003 Jetta, with the receiver attached to the spare tire well, however i used a large backer plate on the inside to help beef it up some, ......not saying it will not fail like yours, but i am sure it is slightly stronger that what your was, ..........

I also tighten/check the bolts twice a year, ............but will do it more now that you have had this issue, .......thanks for posting
pbraunton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:35 PM   #27

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
That was very interesting info, Paul, thanks for posting it.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 03:47 AM   #28

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbraunton View Post
and Barrie, I also tow my Boler with a 2003 Jetta, with the receiver attached to the spare tire well, however i used a large backer plate on the inside to help beef it up some, ......not saying it will not fail like yours, but i am sure it is slightly stronger that what your was, ..........

I also tighten/check the bolts twice a year, ............but will do it more now that you have had this issue, .......thanks for posting
I had the hitch professionally installed and backer plates were used. The install is only a year old but has endured 10,000 miles of towing my Trillium. The metal failure occurred outside the backing plate at the driver side forward attachment point. It appears to be metal fatigue. When the pressure on the ball changes, up or down, the rear most mounting points nearest the ball act as pivot points and magnify the pressure on the forward mounting points and the surrounding area. The spare tire wheel well metal is not thick enough to prevent the metal from flexing. After 10,000 miles it appears this flex took it tole.
As you mentioned, checking the hitch connection regularly should help you find a failure, should one occur, before it gets too bad.
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:59 AM   #29

Name: Paul
Trailer: 13' Boler 1977
Ontario
I also had mine professionally installed, ......from Uhaul and they only used washers on the inside of the sheet metal, ....I replaced that with 1/8" 6"X6" square plate drilled holes in it for the bolts and then put it all back together, ........

but yes, the metal there is not very strong at all, ............

maybe i should upgrade to a westfalia or Bosal???, .HMMMMM, i do plan on keeping both trailer and car for a long time, .......so might be worth the investment, ..........not sure if it is worth $900 though, .....
pbraunton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:28 PM   #30

Trailer:
It is interesting that this problem seems to justify European law - which says that you can only fix a towbar to mounting points that the vehicle manufacturer has specified. It would appear in this case that the North American practice of allowing the towbar manufacturer to do what they like may be the cause of the problem. So this might be a justified extra bit of regulation - and it doesn't seem that often one can say that!
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:42 PM   #31

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Gibbens View Post
It is interesting that this problem seems to justify European law - which says that you can only fix a towbar to mounting points that the vehicle manufacturer has specified. It would appear in this case that the North American practice of allowing the towbar manufacturer to do what they like may be the cause of the problem. So this might be a justified extra bit of regulation - and it doesn't seem that often one can say that!
I think you hit the nail on the head so to speak. If the vehicle manufacturer did not install the hitch, nor has it available there maybe a reason for that. Then comes along aftermarket companies which fabricate hitches for the vehicle, like Curt,Drawtite,UHaul and create their own market for their product. But is the combo desirable? In this instance it was not.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:53 PM   #32

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Gibbens View Post
Apples and oranges, towbars are not hitches and the front of cars tend to have fewer hard points than the rears. Also the reputable hitch manufacturers have proven that they can make hitches which meet or exceed both the capacities and the safety records of the OEMs.
This kind of thing can be warned against but not prevented by more bureaucracy.......
Attached Thumbnails
Lumber-Car-A.jpg  
Old 09-27-2011, 02:06 PM   #33

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves99 View Post
Hi,
I read in Trailer Life (at least that's where I think I read it) that you should follow the 70% rule. If your TV is rate at 3,000 lbs don't tow more than 2,100 (loaded trailer and vehicle cargo weight). I'm a bit horrified at people who push beyond their TV ratings--especially with smaller cars. The tail wagging the dog, so to speak. Stay safe folks!
Phil
We all agree we need to be safe, first and foremost. However, lets be practical too.

A tractor trailer pulling the limit, 40,000 lbs does not need to weigh 57,142 lbs. Have you ever seen a tandem trailer? That demonstrates that while it is smart to have a heavy tow rig, it is not exactly practical. Lighter tow vehicles make a lot of sense for maneuvering big tows. I wish I had a Jeep sometimes backing my boat up to the hoist. It is never easy with my long wheelbase dually. I put a tow hitch on the front, just for maneuvering in tight spaces.

Practically speaking many people have tows bigger than their TV. Typical TV's have body on frame instead of unibody, feature larger engines, better brakes, and wiring to support trailer brakes--just like the tow vehicle in a Tractor/Trailer.

For egg type campers we can be careful, and inspect our hitches, brakes, lights, frames, wiring, etc, and make sure we safe.

Barry could probably have beefed up his Jetta to hold that hitch. I know of people who have welded in frames and support metal to Unibody cars. However, one would never be faulted for going to a beefier safer tow vehicle--that is why there are so many dually's on the road.

Have you seen Suburbans with dual rear wheels? It is not a factory option. It was a common mod some years ago--people would add dually fenders and two more wheels to 3/4 ton Suburbans, and solve trailer sway problems with heavy horse and stock trailers. This is a good example of someone taking extra time and money to ensure a safe tow with a TV lighter than the tow. I don't know what a three or four horse trailer with a living compartment weighs, but I assure you it is more than the tow vehicle. People understand the issue, and that is the reason so many purchase lighter aluminum trailers.

My dually is rated to two 15,200 lbs on a gooseneck or 5th wheel, and 12,000 on a tag along trailer. My truck only weighs 6500 or so. The 70% rule makes no sense except perhaps for small grossly underpowered cars, as Phil stated.

It think it is best to look at the Manufacturers rating, and consider any modifications that can be made for safer towing--for example, bigger springs, air springs, adjustable shocks, load leveling hitches, bigger brakes, and trailer brakes. All it takes is one good scare and you will believe in going overboard on products that improve trailer safety.

Can you tow with more than the rated capacity? I think you can, to a very small degree, but only if you make serious modifications, include trailer brakes, and test and validate your rig. I know people who a very fussy about brake pads, trying 3-4 brands for cold and hot performance. Some people update to larger rotors, calipers and pads. It all comes down to a person decision, and no one chooses the unsafe option. In any case modifications are a wise choice even if you are under your limit. No one will ever fault you for being extra safe. On the contrary, people will be impressed.

I think it is great that Barry has documented this issue. I would still consider a Jetta. I like the idea of a diesel Sportwagon as a TV for a small light trailer, but after reading his post, it would not be without some body modifications to enure the hitch stays attached. I think improved fuel economy in campers is an area that will be explored and tested in the future as fuel prices continue to rise.

If you can post some pictures of this issue, Barry, that would be a big help for anyone towing with a Unibody TV. Thanks for coming forward. You set a good example for others.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 02:08 PM   #34

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Apples and oranges, towbars are not hitches and the front of cars tend to have fewer hard points than the rears. Also the reputable hitch manufacturers have proven that they can make hitches which meet or exceed both the capacities and the safety records of the OEMs.
This kind of thing can be warned against but not prevented by more bureaucracy.......
Floyd,
I think "towbar" as mentioned here by Andrew, the member from England is referring to a hitch, the issue at discussion here.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:53 PM   #35

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
...slight misunderstanding Night Sailor, it's 70% of the vehicles tow rating that's referred to in the Trailer Life article, not the weight of the tow vehicle
phil
Old 09-27-2011, 06:35 PM   #36

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 4500 1977
Quebec
Registry
Tow rating

Tow rating calculation is not as simple as it appears in the manuals: Once you are finished calculating the recommended max capacity of a tow vehicle, you must remember that...

Safe towing capacity is also conditionnal to:

Maximum Tongue Weight, closely related to the hitch type, state regulations, and quality of installation. This is also limited by the frame type and suspension capacity that may or may not be adapted to keep the hitch safe and the vehicle level. This is critical for safety and control. In rough terrain or under sudden braking, a flimsy hitch and car combination will fail.

Maximum towing vehicle tire load capacity: often overlooked. It is usually calculated for a fully loaded trunk with passengers: extra weight applied on hitch by tongue weight can exceed tires and wheel bearing capacity. Usually, rear tires pressure must be increased to the pressure recommended for load limit. If this limit is too low, the tires may fail, period.

Brake capacity of tow vehicle alone is usually not sufficient for towing an RV. In most cases, you must have functionnal brakes to be within the safety guidelines. It is one thing to be able to tow, it is even more important to stop !!! Light RV with short wheel base will benefit of the best brake controllers (proportionnal to inertia, not time controlled or dumb). Better be safe than sorry, especially under hot climate or in mountanous terrain. Overheated brakes are not efficient. Maintenance of trailer brakes is usually a fraction of the cost of replacing the brakes prematurely on the tow vehicle anyway.

Automatic transmission capacity is often sufficient, but most tow vehicle need an extra transmission radiator to prevent oil and internal components to degrade prematurely. The Automatic transmission oil must also be changed more often because it will work at much higher temperatures than normal. One thing to remember: never use the overdrive when towing.

Such basic guidelines are essential for safety, no matter what tow vehicle you consider.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:34 PM   #37

Registry
You can make lots of laws to prevent things from happening but if people choose to ignore them there isnt a whole lot you can do about it.

There are already laws that should have prevented this situation from happening. The car in question is not rated to tow anything legally here in North Amercia. If the driver was ever stopped in a tow weight spot check (which they do here in BC from time to time) they would have had the trailer impounded and had to pay to have it towed and the impound fee along with a *big* fine. Not only that but you can be sure their insurance company would do everthing it could to walk away from the situation should they have an accident with a tow that was not legal.

What I find more suprising is that that there are companies out there who are willing to risk installing a hitch on a car that is not legally to tow with. I have no doubt that if someone was to report them for doing so they at the very least would loose their rights to being the local dealer or installer for the hitch manufacture in question.

In this case its clear it is not the same car design as what is sold in Europe - case in point is the bumper style/design that comes with it in NA which is different from the car sold in Europe - which prevents & makes it against the law to install a european style hitch to the car.

To those who suggest more could have been done to beef up the car and make it safer to tow with. Really and why risk it? Backer plates where added, rear shocks beefed up and brakes added to the trailer. Yet it still failed after less than a year. What more do you need to confirm the car is not designed or safe to tow with in North Amercia?

Bottom line for me is that it makes me scratch my head. Why put your family or friends at risk by towing with a car that the people who built it dont think it is safe to tow with and doing it with the knowledge that if something happens they probable will not have an insurance to cover them for what ever happens.

IMHO it just doesnt make a great deal of sense!
Old 09-27-2011, 07:38 PM   #38

Pennsylvania
Registry
Well said Carol and that's it in a nutshell, it should not have existed in the first place.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:04 PM   #39

Registry
Quote:
There are already laws that should have prevented this situation from happening. The car in question is not rated to tow anything legally here in North Amercia. If the driver was ever stopped in a tow weight spot check (which they do here in BC from time to time) they would have had the trailer impounded and had to pay to have it towed and the impound fee along with a *big* fine. Not only that but you can be sure their insurance company would do everthing it could to walk away from the situation should they have an accident with a tow that was not legal.

You make the eronious assumption that manufacturers ratings are codified throughout North America. While that may be true of Canada (I can't say)... it certainly is not the case in the U.S. for light trucks or cars.
Are you refering to national Canadian law, or just BC?
Would one pound over be enough for a draconian reaction ?
Do they go by actual weight, license plate, or the trailer's axle capacity?
I have met several Canadians who were towing fiberglass trailers with Streetrods, Hotrods, and custom built vehicles. How would they get a tow rating?
Old 09-27-2011, 08:57 PM   #40

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Quote:

What I find more surprising is that that there are companies out there who are willing to risk installing a hitch on a car that is not legal to tow with.

There are more ways to get around things than you would beleive. A guy I used to work with had a humongous hitch with 2 inch receiver installed on his teeny-tiny Yaris, by telling the installer that he was going to use it for carrying a bike rack

The other thing that cracks me up is that my son's "Disease-el" Jetta is not rated to tow ANYTHING, but the owner's manual allows for up to 3,500 lb (if trailer has brakes) if it has the gas engine. (and 1,000# if no trailer brakes) Now THAT has to be related to the drivetrain, not the car itself. Yet when he was looking to buy one, every single one that we saw had a hitch on it already!
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote