larger tires on a Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2016, 12:21 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Name: jerry
Trailer: ESCAPE 21/ OXYGEN 21
Missouri
larger tires on a Scamp

Has any one tried putting 14 or 15" tires and wheels on a scamp? I think it would improve rolling and towing, and better tracking and control,
oldstation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:16 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I couldn't tell from your profile which Scamp model you own. If it's a 13'er, you can't fit larger wheels without raising the suspension, and that means a new axle. The clearance on the door side is really close.

With the 16'ers, which already have more clearance, I think it might be possible, but I'm not sure if any modifications are needed. It makes more sense with the 16'ers because I believe it allows you to move to a tire with a high load rating.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:22 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstation View Post
Has any one tried putting 14 or 15" tires and wheels on a scamp? I think it would improve rolling and towing, and better tracking and control,
The primary benefit of larger wheels would be the availability of tires with a greater weight capacity when needed.
The Scamp19 comes with 14" wheels and they are available on the Scamp16.(maybe standard now?)
They are certainly not needed on a Scamp13.

Choosing radials will improve roll resistance over bias tires.
Choosing wider tires will denigrate roll resistance but generally add nothing significant to trailer towing or handling.
Choosing larger wheels will reduce the number of REVs per mile when combined with the same profile, but the added tread life is not significant, especially since trailer tires are seldom worn to minimum tread depth before being replaced anyway.
Another point is that you should check to see if the larger tire and wheel combo will fit on the spare tire mount before deciding on which increased size.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 04:11 PM   #4

Name: Bob N Judy
Trailer: Escape 5.0TA
Texas
Probably a lot of $

New axle, welded on axle lifts, new wheels, tires, step up box to the entry, one of a kind look on a 13. Not sure about that.
If it's an old camper you don't have much $ in and has a bad axle, hubs, tires and you're bringing it into this era, you'll determine if it's worth another $500 materials and labor. Or, consider that expense a down payment on a new one with good stuff (like brakes and load C ST tires) from the factory and sell it as is. We've all chased a project with money and time.
If you're talking about a contemporary 16' then that's another story; you can actually load that baby up front and back and make use of that upgrade.
Have fun and safe travels!
bobnjudy78748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:26 AM   #5

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Our 16 required a slightly shorter axle for 14" wheel change. The body wheel opening was close on one side. I ordered a Flexiride axle the correct length to clear the fenders.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:18 PM   #6

Name: Rod
Trailer: Scamp 16 Std Layout 4
West Virginia
14" Tires for Scamp

Since I have a Scamp 16' on order and I saw the note here of possibly getting 14" wheels, I checked with the Scamp factory. They do not currently offer 14" wheels for the 16' because of "limited space" in the wheel well, and they don't see any future offering either. I guess we'll just have to keep fabricating our own mods!
Rod D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:35 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
My Scamp has ST205/75 R15 tires and appropriate wheels! I did that by getting a new axle with a 45 degree down angle. Tows just fine behind my Ford F-150.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:33 PM   #8

Name: Keith
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
My Scamp has ST205/75 R15 tires and appropriate wheels! I did that by getting a new axle with a 45 degree down angle. Tows just fine behind my Ford F-150.

That was something I noticed in researching a new axle for my 19: you could get a few inches lift just by going a bit more severe on the axle angle.

What are the tradeoffs for doing this versus a standard lift kit?

Assuming a whole new axle, of course.
Keith2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 08:56 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod D View Post
Since I have a Scamp 16' on order and I saw the note here of possibly getting 14" wheels, I checked with the Scamp factory. They do not currently offer 14" wheels for the 16' because of "limited space" in the wheel well, and they don't see any future offering either. I guess we'll just have to keep fabricating our own mods!
Incredible!
Old 06-20-2016, 09:03 PM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Typical Scamp- still behind times. Personally, I would not tow a 16' or larger with 13" wheels unless the camper weighed under 1800 lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod D View Post
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:01 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Typical Scamp- still behind times. Personally, I would not tow a 16' or larger with 13" wheels unless the camper weighed under 1800 lbs.
Darral;
So you need more than a 1200 pound margin on the load rating on an1801pound trailer?
BTW, Rod D;
I would ask again about the availability of 14" wheels on a 16Scamp, and make sure you ask someone different.

Comparing a 175/80R13 and a 205/75R14 ... there is only a one inch difference in radius and only a one inch difference in section width.
There is far more than that difference between a 13 Scamp and a 16Scamp.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:38 AM   #12

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
14" Tires

At the first Scamp Camp before we had ours, I questioned people about tire size. A number of people had installed 14 inch tires without any real modification to their Scamps. It was on my list to do but did not do. The 13s have worked fine.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 05:53 AM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith2000 View Post
That was something I noticed in researching a new axle for my 19: you could get a few inches lift just by going a bit more severe on the axle angle.

What are the tradeoffs for doing this versus a standard lift kit?

Assuming a whole new axle, of course.
Sorry Keith, I have nothing to compare it to other than the old axle (22 degree down) and 13" tires. All I can say, is I'm pleased.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:33 AM   #14

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
A standard lift kit only raises the body of the trailer. The axle tube remains exactly the same. For most purposes that is all you need, since tongue strikes and tail scrapes are the most common clearance-related issues. Older Scamps may have a welded-on axle, so adding a lift kit means you have to cut off the old axle. That typically destroys it, so you're looking at a new axle anyway.

Swapping for a new axle with greater drop angle and installing larger wheels and tires gets the axle tube higher off the ground. If you anticipate extensive backcountry travel, 2-tracks with a hump in the middle, that kind of thing, it makes sense.

Don't know what the maximum available load rating for a 13" tire is, but the ones on my Scamp 13 are only rated for 1360 pounds. Double that, 2720 pounds, doesn't leave much margin on a fully loaded Scamp 16, and some versions are known for left-right imbalance. I think upgrading the wheels to 14" or 15" and increasing the load rating of the tires makes sense in that situation. 14" and 15" tires are easier to find, too.

When the time comes, I will replace the stock 22.5 degree up-angle on my 13' Scamp with a 0 degree axle to get the tail and tongue a bit higher, but I'll likely stick with 13" wheels.

Raising the trailer carries some negatives- more wind resistance and higher step-up, as well as the cost of a new axle, wheels, and tires- that you have to weigh against the benefits.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:54 AM   #15

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I installed a flexiride axle so I could adjust the ride height for the hitch on my VW and tire clearance for the 14" tires.
When I rebuilt the front A frame I didn't add a step up or down.
The trailer rides level with plenty of clearance for the new tires now.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:55 AM   #16

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
My Scamp 16 came with Greenball Transmaster TT13175C tires rated at 1360 lbs.

I am currently at 1150 lbs on each side, plus 225 on tongue (total trailer weight 2525).

When I replace these tires in about two years, I would like a larger safety margin in tire weight rating. I don’t know if 14 inch wheels and tires would be ok or not. The clearance between the top of my current tires tire and wheel well (while the trailer is at rest) is:
Port = 4 1/4 inches; Starboard = 3 3/4 inches
As the axle ages and taking into account the up and down movement, how can one tell how big is too big (or how much clearance you need)? I expect I will stay with 13 inch wheel and just buy better tires. I will not be buying Greeball tires but taking their product specs as an example, I see the load ranges per tire size are:
13 inch: 1360 - 1480
14 inch: 1760 - 1870
15 inch: 1820 - 2830
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 09:18 AM   #17

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I believe my tires are rated for 1480. The trailer has about 2400 lb on the axle leaving about 280 lbs of margin/ tire Since the tire patches are equal on each side I've say at least in a static condition the load is equal side to side.

We minimize tire stress by avoiding high speeds, long drives and high temperatures.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 10:25 AM   #18

Texas
When I look at the spec sheet for the Dexter #10 torflex (http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/6149609/f/...nformation.pdf) it looks like there is a wide range of angle options. People have recommended the 10 degree down so that I can fit the Orbital Shock kit and a three inch lift kit. But, it looks like you can get 3" more clearance by going with the 45 degree down option with no lift kit.

I'm just wondering if it is worth while to get the less severe angle and the shock kit and the lift kit, or if I should just make it simpler and get the 45 degree down axle, which would also give me more center clearance. Does the shock kit make a huge difference?

Also, I will certainly not be welding the axle to the frame the way Scamp does. I will have the dexter brackets welded on so the axle is a bolt on job in the future.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:43 AM   #19

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith2000 View Post
Also, I will certainly not be welding the axle to the frame the way Scamp does.
You mean did. They now use brackets so that the axle bolts on.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 12:38 PM   #20

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
You mean did. They now use brackets so that the axle bolts on.
That is good to hear. I thought they were immune to improvements.

Tags
scamp, tires