Latest model of Andersen hitch? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2019, 10:05 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Latest model of Andersen hitch?

Took my 5 year old Andersen ball holder, ball, and the replacement cone material to a machine shop to press together. The Andersen website video showed the factory pressing the parts together until the cone material was even with the top of the holder. The new cone material (being longer) broke out the machined internal aluminum retaining ledge of the ball holder. Think this 2014 version was a poor design as it would have been simple to include a depth marking on the ball stud to show when to stop pressing!

Hope the new design is better......going to try for a warranty claim due to a design defect.
Attached Thumbnails

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 05:16 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Took my 5 year old Andersen ball holder, ball, and the replacement cone material to a machine shop to press together. The Andersen website video showed the factory pressing the parts together until the cone material was even with the top of the holder. The new cone material (being longer) broke out the machined internal aluminum retaining ledge of the ball holder. Think this 2014 version was a poor design as it would have been simple to include a depth marking on the ball stud to show when to stop pressing!

Hope the new design is better......going to try for a warranty claim due to a design defect.
Attached Thumbnails
I thought I saw in an Anderson video that when you put the new cone in the ball mount and then install the hitch ball it will automatically press the two together when the trailer is hitched. What they said is that, the tongue weight will press fit it together and no need to have it pressed elsewhere.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 06:05 AM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
You should contact Andersen directly, they should send you the new version of the hitch for $100. I’ve seen pictures and it looks much improved. I’m thinking I will upgrade my 4 year old Andersen even though it is working well. Or they should swap out your old with the same version for free. I’ve done that.
2016 Oliver Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Carol and Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 06:21 PM   #4

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
+1 what Trainman said. I would not have used a press at all.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 07:07 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
+1 what Trainman said. I would not have used a press at all.
Well, since I have access to one it was simpler than driving a half-hooked up trailer 2 miles down a bumpy gravel road to drive 8 miles to the nearest town to drive "around the block" per the video.

Poor design without the depth marking needed on the stem. The machine shop watched the video and did as indicated during their production process shown. I spent 40 years as a licensed engineer so I think my opinion counts somewhat.

The good news is Andersen agreed and will replace everything involved with the latest design at no cost to me - including shipping.

THAT'S customer service.

Old 08-03-2019, 01:56 PM   #6

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol and Mike View Post
You should contact Andersen directly, they should send you the new version of the hitch for $100. I’ve seen pictures and it looks much improved. I’m thinking I will upgrade my 4 year old Andersen even though it is working well. Or they should swap out your old with the same version for free. I’ve done that.
What are the big improvements? Very interested to know what the changes are.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 02:22 PM   #7

Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
Main improvements are redesigned triangle plate and a seal over the brake lining insert. Here’s a picture of one from an Oliver owner from the Oliver forum.
Attached Thumbnails
6D3CB53B-C3CC-4A08-B0B9-73F6D40A3A66.jpg  
2016 Oliver Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Carol and Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 03:10 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol and Mike View Post
Main improvements are redesigned triangle plate and a seal over the brake lining insert. Here’s a picture of one from an Oliver owner from the Oliver forum.
I heard through another forum that the internal cone angle was changed and that the unit is a bit shorter height.

Old 08-07-2019, 09:57 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Oregon
August 1st 2019 model of Andersen hitch

Got my parts replaced under warranty today.

The new ball holder version has a retainer cap over the cone, and a much wider cone angle, judging by the smaller bottom protruding stub while the top diameter is the same.

The new triangle plate also has a wider spread for the chain holes. Not sure why the boomerang design unless they got a new CNC version.It's painted steel and looks like aluminum, but it's not.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1971.jpg   IMG_1972.jpg  

IMG_1973.jpg  

Old 08-10-2019, 12:33 PM   #10

Name: Nick
Trailer: Escape 17B
Vermont
We got the third generation Anderson and it seems they have finally got it right. The triangle plate angle resulted in the chains being a little too long so I had to take one link off. Now it's just a tad too short requiring that you have everything well lined up. Oh well.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 02:06 PM   #11

Name: Mark
Trailer: ESCAPE
British Columbia
Is it easy to get a newer one? Mine must be at least 2014.
Pace is offline   Reply With Quote