Registry
Can not advise as to how you go, it is up to you just read and be informed

Old 09-15-2011, 03:05 PM   #30

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
Your car may not have a GCWR rating but you need to consider the GVWR rating as it is law. Stronger rear springs will not fix the tongue problems as you still have a lever lifting the front end. Only a wd can help and our class III hitch is not just bolted to the back; see hitch picture in show us your hitch. Show us your hitch
Have fun.
The max weight of just under 3000lbs I mentioned before is the GVWR (from the door sticker), No, I won't be exceeding that all loaded up with the trailer weight on the hitch.

WD? Not clued in on all the lingo yet. Not sure if/how it's going to fit on my hitch, but I do plan on installing one of those sway dampeners like you posted.

And yes, indeed there is almost no distance between the rear wheels and the hitch, like 2 feet. Still going to be shifting the weight bias to the rear quite a bit under braking. Most Miatas are very close to 50/50, but I do have a nose heavy Miata, so that may help keep weight on the front wheels while braking to some degree. I think I had 200 or so more lbs on the front wheels at the last alignment (they weighed each corner while adjusting the height to even it out with slight height adjustments, "corner weighting".)

Old 09-15-2011, 03:11 PM   #31

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Please let us know here on the forum when and where you are towing so as we can avoid the area, it is a disaster waiting to happen. And when you get done, let us know so we can all breath easier. Rent a truck and be safe.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:32 PM   #32

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008
Please let us know here on the forum when and where you are towing so as we can avoid the area, it is a disaster waiting to happen. And when you get done, let us know so we can all breath easier. Rent a truck and be safe.
It is more than a small amount of overkill to say that a truck is needed to tow a 13 foot FGRV. The original ones were designed to be towed by air-cooled VWs. Why is it that Europeans have this figured out, and Americans seem to be so ignorant of the capabilities of smaller cars? In the UK, a Honda Fit (aka Jazz) is rated to tow 2,200 pounds, and people do it without killing other folks left and right.

Last time I was in Prague, I estimated that one out of four cars had a trailer hitch. That's a tow ball, not a receiver that might only be used for a bike rack. Very few of these cars are larger than what we call "compact", and most of them have 1.5 liter or smaller engines.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:48 PM   #33

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
It is more than a small amount of overkill to say that a truck is needed to tow a 13 foot FGRV. The original ones were designed to be towed by air-cooled VWs. Why is it that Europeans have this figured out, and Americans seem to be so ignorant of the capabilities of smaller cars? In the UK, a Honda Fit (aka Jazz) is rated to tow 2,200 pounds, and people do it without killing other folks left and right.

Last time I was in Prague, I estimated that one out of four cars had a trailer hitch. That's a tow ball, not a receiver that might only be used for a bike rack. Very few of these cars are larger than what we call "compact", and most of them have 1.5 liter or smaller engines.
Forgive me for finding this debate very, very entertaining.

It's true, Americans have a warped sense of the size of vehicles in general compared to the rest of the world. The average tow vehicle here is a massive 6000lb truck. In New Zealand and Australia the average tow vehicle was a Subaru or the ubiquitous "ute" (truck bed on a mid size car chassis, like the old Chevy El Camino, but more mid sized). Granted the average trailer is a lot smaller in down under. Very few giant, slide out monsters behind giant dually trucks.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:57 PM   #34

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Keep off the 5 southbound south of San Fran and the 40 eastbound outa' So Cal the first week of October! It's going to be like Mad Max! Explosions! Vehicles careening out of control in all directions! Chaos! Anarchy!

I value my life and this car dearly. If I'm not in very good control of a trailer, I'm not going to tow it. But I'm not going to take the advice of people who have never tried towing with this type setup as gospel without further investigation. I'm not ignoring those voices, but rather listening to all opinions and trying to form my own. Extra credence to voices who have towed 13' eggs with small cars.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:59 PM   #35

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I suspect a 13 foot appropriately loaded trailer with brakes could be towed by almost anything, particularly if one is sensible. We have at least one person towing a 17 foot trailer with a 2800 pound car and only 130 HP.

At the PEI rally a 13 foot Boler was being towed by a 1951 Mercury with 112 HP that weighed 3200 pounds. The person has been towing the Boler for decades.

I think we sometimes forget how little horsepower cars of other generations had, forget how bad brakes used to be and how poor suspensions were.

Of course one can overload a 13, but again trailer sanity must prevail.

No matter how big your tow vehicle, the sanity of the driver is critical. On the Jersey Turnpike we had a huge Ford truck towing a dual axle horse trailer pass us on the right in the break down lane swerving in front of us while entering the highway.

It sounds like you're going to do a trial run. Please let us know the outcome.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 04:14 PM   #36

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
This thread is a reason why it would be valuable to list tow vehicle with trailer weights, in our trailer weight section. It would provide more perspective.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:33 PM   #37

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
This thread is a reason why it would be valuable to list tow vehicle with trailer weights, in our trailer weight section. It would provide more perspective.
That would be useful!