Leading Arm or Trailing Arm - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-19-2016, 04:03 PM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13', want another small trailer.
Oklahoma
Registry
Leading Arm or Trailing Arm

I know this has been discussed before, but I have been unable to find the information I seek.

Mu 1978 Scamp 13 has the original leading arm axle. I had planned to take the trailer and have the axle replaced this week, but the company is overloaded with work at this time.

I understand that some owners of old Scamps, etc, have had their leading arm axle's replaced with trailing arm axles, with the axle moved forward and attached under the "dance floor" area.

I also understand that owners have also just had the trailing arm axles turned around so they became leading arm axles, and attached in the original mounting position at the rear of the "dance floor".

My question(s) is what problems, if any, resulted in attaching the axle tube to the frame under the 'dance floor", and what problems resulted in turning a trailing arm axle around and attaching it the orignal leading arm position?

Whew! That's quite a mouthful!

All information and comments will be appreciated!

Bill

Old 01-19-2016, 05:33 PM   #2

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
Besides the welding issues The foreward facing replacement axles are 22.5 deg down. I think the rear facing axle on the new Scamps are 22.5 deg up. But I have replaced the rear facing with 0 deg. axles and recommend people do this with trailers that have grey water tanks. You end up raising the hitch and door threshold about 2".
Eddie

Old 01-19-2016, 06:20 PM   #3

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Besides the welding issues The foreward facing replacement axles are 22.5 deg down. I think the rear facing axle on the new Scamps are 22.5 deg up. But I have replaced the rear facing with 0 deg. axles and recommend people do this with trailers that have grey water tanks. You end up raising the hitch and door threshold about 2".
Eddie
Thanks Eddie for the information. I have been told that all Dexter torsion axles are now made as rear facing arm axles. but can be turned around. My old Scamp trailer doesn't have any gray water or any water tanks installed. Do you think a 22.5 deg down axle would be the right one for my trailer if the axle is installed in the original position?

Thanks again,

Bill
Old 01-19-2016, 06:24 PM   #4

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Another point...
your original axle was 1200# capacity late models are 2200# capacity.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:38 PM   #5

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Another point...
your original axle was 1200# capacity late models are 2200# capacity.
And here I've been doing all I can to make the trailer lighter!

Am i right to assume the 2200 # axle would be somewhat larger in cross section?

Thanks Floyd,

Bill
Old 01-19-2016, 06:55 PM   #6

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post
And here I've been doing all I can to make the trailer lighter!

Am i right to assume the 2200 # axle would be somewhat larger in cross section?

Thanks Floyd,

Bill
I don't know for sure but I doubt it would be much different since the rubber length is the main determiner for capacity, with ranges for each size axle beam. I do think that your original axle spindle was a straight 1" and the newer ones are 1-1/16".
Most new axles are 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern too, instead of the 4 lug which you are likely to have now.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:02 PM   #7

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I don't know for sure but I doubt it would be much different the rubber length is the main determiner for capacity, with ranges for each size axle beam. I do know that your original axle spindle was a straight 1" and the newer ones are 1-1/16".
Thanks again Floyd!

Bill
Old 01-19-2016, 08:07 PM   #8

Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13 Deluxe Birch w/front dinette
Wisconsin
Registry
I want to know if the new Lippert axles can be adjusted to a "0" degree. If not has anyone put a lift on a 13ft?

(2) Big Green Eggs for cooking..(1) Egg for camping
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:11 PM   #9

Virginia
The #9 Dexter Torflex can be ordered a 1.1K-2.2K lbs. rating but the default weight is usually 2K. I'm pretty sure Scamp installed a 2K #9 on my 82 S-13. Around 2014 Scamp started installing Lippert axles on S-16's & S-19's. I don't know what they are installing on the S-13's now. I can't find much info on Lippert axles, I think they (Lippert) wants to mostly deal with OEM's. I have found Redneck and Dexter to be very helpful with technical info. and advice on all their products.
Eddie
Old 01-19-2016, 08:17 PM   #10

Virginia
BillE
If you have a side bolted on Dexter #9, Dexter sells lift blocks for that axle but it does not give you any extra beam ground clearance. I only lifts the trailer.
Eddie
http://www.dexteraxle.com/inc/sdetail/45177/50968
Old 01-19-2016, 08:29 PM   #11

Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13 Deluxe Birch w/front dinette
Wisconsin
Registry
Eddie

Now you have me wondering...I need to go check the paperwork that came with the trailer.

(2) Big Green Eggs for cooking..(1) Egg for camping
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:30 PM   #12

Virginia
Scamp started using the bolt on axle brackets on the S-16&19 in 2010. I don't know if they started or used the bolt on brackets on S-13's.

There was a post about a year ago where someone wanted to use Orbital Machine's lift blocks made for Dexter #10 axles on a Scamp that had a Lippert axle and there were issues. This brought to light that Scamp was no longer using ALKO or Dexter axles. At this point I don't know if a Lippert Axle will bolt up to the Alko/Dexter brackets.
Eddie
Found the post and it was for a S-13.
Scamp 13 axle type
Old 01-19-2016, 08:43 PM   #13

Virginia
BillE
Looks like Orbital may be able to provide you with a Lippert 2.2K lift bracket. All the Orbital Machine products I have seen have been first class.
Eddie
Old 01-20-2016, 02:00 AM   #14

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
I had a trailer builder change out our worn out 13' Scamp's leading arm axle to a trailing arm Flexiride adjustable (splined axle with removable splined arms) axle. With this set up I was able to keep the trailer low to get it through the 7' garage door (combined with golf cart wheels) by having an upward deflection, and at zero degrees for road use, and downward deflection for off road use. The arms are shorter than the original arms Scamp used, so this has to be figured into the equation when getting the wheels centered in the wheel well openings.
Best of luck with your project.
Dave & Paula
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01344.jpg   DSC01345.jpg