Learning to Back up FRV - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2015, 04:16 PM   #1

Name: Jeff
Trailer: in the market
New York
Learning to Back up FRV

I am on the fence about buying a fiberglass RV...I am most interested in a Scamp 13, probably buying new...what has me on the fence is whether I will be able to learn to back it up into my driveway....the driveway is wide enough for the Scamp, but we have on street parking on both sides most of the years, except for the winter months...the only time I ever backed any kind of trailer into a driveway was a Uhaul trailer, about 40 years ago....I've watched several YT videos and backing up a RV trailer, and they haven't improved my confidence....and I more often than not will not have someone who can guide me...

any suggestions or encouragement is welcome...
RV Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 04:54 PM   #2

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
I suggest you back in from the left while looking in your driver's side mirror so you can see if the trailer is going where you want. And hardly doing any backing before getting out and seeing where the trailer is going, and keep getting out to have a look. Might try a U-haul to get the idea.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 04:59 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
If you really have trouble backing up get it close and drop the trailer run and extension cord and use one of these.

Power Caster,electric trailer mover dolly, boat dolly, toy hauler

You can make one using 12 volt dc and plug it into your trailer battery.

The beauty of the 13 foot is it is easy to maneuver. its a little squirrley backing up but with practice you will get the hang of it.

For me it takes a bit to get it in place and sometimes it gets frustrating but its better than not going on a trip.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 05:54 PM   #4

Name: Handley
Trailer: Scamp
New York
There are two kinds of people. Those that
think they can, and those who think they
can't. Both are right.

Backing just takes a bit of practice. The
trailer goes the way the bottom of the steering
wheel goes, if that helps.
Handley Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 06:01 PM   #5

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Casita
Connecticut
Hey Jeff,
I would say go for it, we all do it a little differently, I use the mirrors as little as possible. I shift my butt in the seat, stick my left arm and head out the window and watch what the back end of the trailer is doing. GO SLOW and make SMALL corrections. Our Casita is just over a year old and our last campsite required a fairly long back-in, I was able to put the trailer where I wanted it on the first shot, that's probably the exception and not the rule but like anything else the more you do it the easier it gets. Don't let the fear of backing up keep you from a world of possibilities.
wwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 06:57 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Practice at a vacant parking lot that has lines marking the spaces. Like a school on a weekend, church lot during the week, whatever you can find. Short trailers turn quick so make small steering adjustments. Take your time, get out and look (GOAL) when necessary.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 06:58 PM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
You could avoid backing up by staying at campgrounds with pull thru sites.
This may sound ridiculous but I have aquaintenses who have gotten by this way for years,
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:16 PM   #8

Name: Jeff
Trailer: in the market
New York
Backing up RV

but....I have to back it up into my very tight driveway when I get home...someone suggested one of those devices that you hook to the hitch and it will move the trailer...at some point I may have to go with that...thanks
RV Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:31 PM   #9

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Rabbit View Post
....I've watched several YT videos and backing up a RV trailer, and they haven't improved my confidence....

You are watching the wrong youtube videos! Watch instead. Its all a matter of practice.

With hands on the bottom on the steering wheel, the trailer will go in the direction you turn. With a lower profile trailer, its easier to look out your back window, but a pro will use his side view mirrors. It takes practice, but once you have it down using the side mirrors the height of the trailer is a non-issue. Being so short, the effect of turning will be exaggerated but you will get the feel of it with practice. Try not to get in tight spots until you have enough practice and confidence, and it will be fine.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:55 PM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
What Bob said. Practice in a empty parking lot. Then practice some more. It's not that hard after you have spent a little time doing it.

I also second the trailer dolly if the space is really tight. It doesn't need to be a powered one for a 16-foot Scamp, especially if the surface is all paved. I used a manual one for my 17-foot Bigfoot because the driveway I used to park it in was over 100 feet long and only about 10-inches wider than the trailer, giving me only 5-in on each side. The dolly gave me very precise control backing it into that tight space.
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:57 PM   #11

Trailer: 82 Burro
Jeff,
I can't blame you for the lack of confidence. None of us was born knowing how to back up a trailer. Take your new trailer to the local church parking lot and have at it. Again and again.

If I can do it so can you.

Happy Trails,
Shirley
Shirley LaMoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:34 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirley LaMoine View Post
Take your new trailer to the local church parking lot and have at it. Again and again.
Sunday morning is a good time. Nobody is there on the weekend.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:55 PM   #13

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Jeff,

I think that you've gotten all the best advice .....

Backing just takes a bit of practice. The back of the trailer goes
the way the bottom of the steering wheel goes, if that helps.

It is easier to back from the left (where you can see the side of
the trailer from the driver's window and/or mirror) than it is to
back in from the right.

For short trailers, go slow make small steering wheel movements
to get started ..... and start reversing your turn early in order to
prevent the angle from getting too sharp.

If the angle does start to get too sharp, stop and pull forward until
things straighten out a bit. Then ease it backward again with smaller
corrections.

Definitely get a wheel that actually pins onto the nose jack. One of
the beauties of smaller/lighter FGRVs is that it is usually easy (if the
site is at all level) to disconnect from the tow vehicle and simply push
the little trailer into whatever position you want.

And ..... practice in a great big empty parking lot with striped parking spaces.

You will get the hang of it in no time ......

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:04 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Just to clarify, if you place the palm of your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel, facing up, when you move your hand to the left, the rear of the trailer will move to the left.
You also need to be aware of where the front fenders of your tow vehicle are as you turn. Go slow.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:28 PM   #15

Name: Fallon
Trailer: Shopping
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Sunday morning is a good time. Nobody is there on the weekend.
Really? Nobody is in a church parking lot Sunday morning?

But ya, spend some time practicing in an empty parking lot. Bring some cones or boxes to seup a fake driveway to back into.

Sent from my K00C using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Fallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:22 AM   #16

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
The power dollies are nice but are pretty pricey. Making one is an option (still not inexpensive) if you're handy. I don't see that anyone has suggested the push type trailer dollies yet. There are different quality levels for them out there. My concrete driveway is pretty flat and I've gotten away with the Harbor Fright model for more than 10 years. Although the tires leak air pressure like HF thought leaking was a feature!?

If you have someone to help push on the trailer it's not so bad.

I have pretty wide access to my driveway by the road. As suggested, when possible I like to back up with the trailer curving toward the driver's side. Back by the gate that cuts across my driveway I switch to the hand dolly (I have to turn the trailer somewhat where the one car driveway expands to a two car driveway in front of the garage.)
Attached Images

I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:41 AM   #17

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
If all of the above fail. They are great at U turns and K turns, then start over. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:02 AM   #18

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
I'm pretty good a backing up trailers, but on an early trip I was having trouble backing the Little Joe, (13 ft) into a particular campsite. The roadway had a pretty steep lean to the left and the site was to the right, down hill at a fairly steep angle, so the geometry was way off from what you usually find. To top it off, there was about a 1 foot drop on the right side where the driveway met the road. Two guys came over to offer help, as with the angles there were times I couldn't see in the mirrors or out the back. We got it in OK, but one of them says to the other, "I'd rather back my 30 footer than a short trailer any day. Both of these guys had large 5th wheels.

The suggestion to make small corrections is particularly true with a short trailer, as a small movement of the tongue makes a big change in the angle of the trailer wheels.

I used to work with a guy who previously had been an over the road trucker making runs from Wyoming into NYC. He told me about driving a big rig in the city.

He told me the best backing he had ever seen was a lady driver who pulled into the dock at a warehouse. He said she came winging in with a tandem, swung it around to line up and backed straight to the dock. Bumpers on both side touched simultaneously. He asked her where she learned to back a tandem so handily. She said she had taken a wrong road one day, had gone about two miles and found no where to turn around. She had to back up two miles with that rig. She said, "This one was no sweat".
Old 09-23-2015, 09:43 AM   #19

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwig View Post
....we all do it a little differently, I use the mirrors as little as possible.
Having had a Class 1 license for 35 years, and having pulled and reversed many different types of trailers countless times, my opinion is that this is very bad advice. You have a much better rear peripheral view using your mirrors, and can see alongside the trailer, and where it is going.

If it does work for you, by all means do it, it just is not the best way though. Just watch any professional driver, they only use mirrors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Practice at a vacant parking lot that has lines marking the spaces. Like a school on a weekend, church lot during the week, whatever you can find. Short trailers turn quick so make small steering adjustments. Take your time, get out and look (GOAL) when necessary.
This is what I always advise too. You can use the stalls to try to reverse in to, as though it was the campsite.

I am a firm believer in not using tricks, though I know they seem to work for some. Instead, I think it is best to practise and understand what it is that is happening, then it will just become second nature, no thinking required.

The way I have taught others to successfully reverse with a trailer, is to actually pretend you are moving it by hand (or even with a powered/non-powered dolly. If you move the hitch left as you go backwards (looking rearward), the trailer goes right. Now take this same theory to reversing with a tow vehicle attached, and if you move the rear end of the vehicle left, moving the hitch left, the trailer will go to the right. Basically, pretend you are pushing it into where you are headed with it. I know my wording may be a bit confusing, but the theory is very simple.

As well, the first thing I would practise in a parking lot, is to first reverse maintaining a straight line, before ever practising turning while reversing. Remember to make adjustments as soon as you realize that you need to, and make only small ones. Often beginners overcompensate with things. And go slow, really slow, so that you have more time to react to corrections.

Another option is to take a trailering course at a driving school, where professionals can give you one-n-one instruction.

And mostly, have fun with it, make it a personal challenge. YOU CAN DO IT, it just takes a bit of time to learn. And once you have it down, it will seem very simple.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:44 AM   #20

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
I drove semi trucks for a couple of years which gave me some invaluable experience backing up trailers so I have to agree with Jim Bennett. You definitely want to not only use your mirrors but trust your mirrors. Yes it's a little intimidating when you start out but eventually you will get the hang of it. If you can get a hold of some of those orange traffic cones you can set them up in an empty parking lot for awhile to get some practice. Something else you want to be aware of is off tracking which is when you go around a corner you have to swing wider than normal so the trailer tire doesn't go off the road. There again you keep an eye on the trailer tire with your mirror as you go around the corner. I'm sure you have noticed semi trucks going around corners in town where they have to swing very wide to make the turn. You won't need to swing that wide but you get the idea. You can practice that with the traffic cones too. Good luck.