Learning to Back up FRV - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2015, 10:50 AM   #21

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
When backing up , put your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel move your hand in the direction you wish the trailer to go.
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:00 AM   #22

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
My other observation is that backing up a trailer must be like steering a lake freighter; you need lead time. When starting the backing turn, usually the time of tightest radius, if you wait for the trailer end to start turning you're probably going to go past where you want to stop the rotation. I sometimes think of it as taking up the slack. So I stop a little past were you might think, start backing up with a moderate turn where smaller steering changes have an immediate effect (got the slack out) then fine tune things into the site/drive.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:26 AM   #23

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallon View Post
Really? Nobody is in a church parking lot Sunday morning?

But ya, spend some time practicing in an empty parking lot. Bring some cones or boxes to seup a fake driveway to back into.

Sent from my K00C using Fiberglass RV mobile app
LOL I think Glenn was suggesting that practising when there are actually cars in the lot is better than practising in an empty lot - more real life..... but then again maybe not...

The hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and moving the hand in the direction you want the trailer to go is the one thing that helped me a lot when starting out.

The other thing I like, is not having anyone standing outside the trailer yelling at me to turn the wheel this way or that way! If I have someone traveling with me and they get out of the vehicle when I am backing up the trailer the only thing I want them to do is stand at the rear where I can see them in a side mirror - right or left it does not matter to me and only wave or move their arms around if I am about to hit an immovable object - even then I don't want to know about it when I am 6' from the object (as I can probable see it myself in a side mirror at that point) only want a warning when I get within 6" from it & I can not see it in a side mirror. mg

Most common errors people make when back up small trailers is going back to fast and over correcting the steering wheel. The smaller the trailer the faster it will respond to a steering wheel change.

Have found that when backing into a tight spot the works best for me - even if its just a little scoop in a very tight situation.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:33 AM   #24

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Here you all go. Have fun practising.

https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/games/reverse.asp
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 12:37 PM   #25

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
When you take the trailer out to practice find a place with lines. Put your trailer tire next to the line. Adjust the trailer mirror so you can see the line next to the tire. Now looking at the mirror back up watching the relation ship of your movements to what the trailer tire is doing. Don't wait until the trailer is over the line or a foot off the side to pull forward and correct your line. Usually you can correct by moving forward a couple of feet and adjust your steering and starting back again. After a while you will get the hang of small movements keeping you on your correct path. Aim small, miss small. Do this awhile and then go find some sweeping arc lines in the parking lot. After you've done this you will want to paint a line in your driveway to follow for your return trip home from your camping trip. You won't do that but you can still picture that line in your head. Or you can always glue down some reflective Potts dots so you can back in at night. Either way you can do it.

I have allot of trouble backing up small trailers, sometimes I look like a pro and sometimes it takes me 20 minutes to back up 20 feet if I get flustered.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 12:39 PM   #26

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Mount a hitch and ball on the front of your tow and drive that puppy into position. No mirrors, no neck twisting, etc.

Typing that made me think of something. Visualize a “crazy wheel” dolly under the front of the trailer, and a removable auxiliary hitch IN THE REAR. Hook the trailer up to the tow from behind and drag it back close to the final position. Unhook and squirm the tow back out, turn around, rehook up front and back (or just push) the trailer the rest of the way in.

Before you laugh or discount this I have a reason myself for something like this arrangement. I am moving to town and will not have nearly as much room to maneuver the Scamp into the new back yard as I have out on my big lot in the country. Nor do I have room to just pull the trailer into the backyard and turn around with the trailer connected as usual. I would have plenty of room to do as I have described above though. Would sure save a lot of backing………. Gonna build it, yes I am.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 01:41 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Mount a hitch and ball on the front of your tow and drive that puppy into position. No mirrors, no neck twisting, etc.
OK, so now I'm staring at the white expanse that is the front of my trailer. Haven't a clue what's behind it. Might be able to see somewhat around the left side..
Old 09-23-2015, 03:21 PM   #28

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Just to clarify, if you place the palm of your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel, facing up, when you move your hand to the left, the rear of the trailer will move to the left.
You also need to be aware of where the front fenders of your tow vehicle are as you turn. Go slow.

I think if your hand is on the bottom of the steering wheel, when you move your hand to the left the trailer will go left, palm up or palm down.

..................and SLOW is good.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:23 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minimalist View Post
I think if your hand is on the bottom of the steering wheel, when you move your hand to the left the trailer will go left, palm up or palm down.

..................and SLOW is good.
That is true, but somehow, palm up gets your brain in synch.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:07 PM   #30

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
OK, so now I'm staring at the white expanse that is the front of my trailer. Haven't a clue what's behind it. Might be able to see somewhat around the left side..
Take down the front and back window curtains, you can see right through. Seriously though, this is standard stuff moving equipment. We usually had a hole in a front loader bucket or fork lift fork for bolting in a ball or clevis or something to spot trailers, some really big and hard to see around. You might need a buddy.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:26 PM   #31

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Really enjoy all the responses and instructions given for backing up a trailer. All good but it is a learning process. You can read 50 books on how to pour and finish concrete but you'll only get the feel for it with time and practice.
The joke saying around the shops yard was "stop when you hear glass"
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:42 PM   #32

Name: Fallon
Trailer: Shopping
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
The other thing I like, is not having anyone standing outside the trailer yelling at me to turn the wheel this way or that way! If I have someone traveling with me and they get out of the vehicle when I am backing up the trailer the only thing I want them to do is stand at the rear where I can see them in a side mirror - right or left it does not matter to me and only wave or move their arms around if I am about to hit an immovable object - even then I don't want to know about it when I am 6' from the object (as I can probable see it myself in a side mirror at that point) only want a warning when I get within 6" from it & I can not see it in a side mirror. mg
So so true. The spotter needs to know they are observing what needs to happen to the trailer & its position relative to the target or obstacles then only relay that info. They are not driving or telling you how to drive. Also, if they can't see your eyeballs (preferably not in a mirror) they are worse than useless, they are actively an obstacle that you have to assume is jumping in the way.

My wife can't get the hang of keeping eye contact & always runs behind the trailer. Drives me nuts. Another friend who use to do ground crew stuff at an airport does a better job with is <1yr old son in his hands than 90% of the people out there.

See if you have a friend with a riding lawnmower & a little trailer. That's a great way to get the basics of control down. It's still a huge jump to a trailer that blocks your view & handles differently, but much less of a jump. Bumper pull trailers all behave in the same manner, however depending on the number of axles, hitch length & many other factors respond at different rates and different speeds. Practicing with something easy (small & no sight lines blocking) will give you a good start.
Fallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:13 PM   #33

Ah. So true.
I waited several minutes for my wife to look at me in the mirror. Finally in frustration I got out and asked her what she was looking at since she didn't appear to be doing the job. She was watching some birds.

Our discussion of the subject has not resulted in an improvement.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:15 PM   #34

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
I was just getting ready to make a post about learning how to back up my trailer, but obviously this is the place to do it.

I had just hauled my Lil'Bigfoot to the DMV to get the VIN certified (I had tried asking local law enforcement to do that, and they informed me I could have that done at the CHP office with an appointment [thanks a lot]) so went through the misery of hauling and appointment and in line and stuff.

Anyway. After that, I had the LilB in town, so drove her through some neighborhoods and then over to the Civic Auditorium, where there is a big, open parking lot.

I didn't have any cones, but picked individual stalls to back into. The hand on the bottom of the wheel turning the way you want the trailer to go works, but it was almost more helpful for me to watch the mirrors, even the rear view mirror.

This 13.5 trailer does react quickly. I had to learn to straighten out the steering wheel quickly once she was pointed in the right direction, and then crank it the other way to get the car to follow.

Don't try to correct if you get too sharp a turn. Just pull forward and try again.

We probably did 20 backups, and each one became a bit easier. I tried these backing up both to the left and to the right.

When it finally seemed we had *been there, done that,* I drove all the way to the end of one aisle, and tried to learn how to back up in a wavy line, all the way to the end. The goal of that was to develop an instinct of how to steer without trying to stop and figure it out. I never could back down the entire aisle without pulling forward and straightening, but the automatic reactions got better.

This was enough to give me confidence to back the trailer in at home. We have a narrow side driveway and the trailer goes through a gate and behind a fence. I did the recommended "scoop/swoop" in to get the angle started, and then had to work at getting her over the rolled curb.

We live on a corner, so it's a bit spooky pulling out into the middle of the street to back up again while worrying about someone barreling around the corner. (I've had guys honk angrily when I'm just trying to just back the car in with a load of groceries -- it's a very busy corner.)

I had several encounters this time, but mysteriously, no one seemed annoyed. Everyone who drove by either smiled or waved, or both. I don't know if it was "hey look at that poor lady trying to back that trailer," or "wow, she's really good at that," or "isn't that a CUTE trailer?" but whatever it worked and wasn't stressful.

The DH, who is a trailer backing maniac, was totally impressed when he got home. I think he was even a bit twitterpated.

I say practice and practice, and don't get frustrated, don't have people telling you what to do (and I did get out and look many times), and if you get into a fix just pull forward and try again. If *I* can do it, anyone can!
Old 09-23-2015, 07:34 PM   #35

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Yo Jeff, Glad to meet you!

First let me tell you... no one is born with the back up gene. Honest.

It amazes me where some folks are able to jam in a trailer into a site.. or along the side of the house!

It starts with going slow, really small steering wheel movements. If things start heading SOUTH... OMG STOP. It won't get better if you keep going. Pull forward a little bit and start again. Eventually you'll get it, I promise.

And if you're sweating bullets that first (or a dozen) time because folks are watching... step outside, bend at the waist and raise your ARMS. You DID IT! Really... people will applaude your stick-to-it attitude!

Backing up is kinda like giving a speech to 5,000 people sitting in the audience. They all remember what it felt like that first time... and they left all their clothes at home.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:11 PM   #36

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Just to clarify, if you place the palm of your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel, facing up, when you move your hand to the left, the rear of the trailer will move to the left.
You also need to be aware of where the front fenders of your tow vehicle are as you turn. Go slow.
Placement of the hands can sure help.
I taught my wife to back up the trailer by using a parking lot when there wasn't cars around. I had her pull into a double parking spot so the trailer and the truck were parked. Then pull straight out and back straight in. Once she got the hang backing straight it was a lot easier to make the turn.

Also I recommend that you use the mirrors, don't try to turn around to see what's going on. I usually find a line or mark I can line up on, the side of a driveway, a white stripe, etc. and follow that in. I still like somebody to watch the back, but I can do it without an observer is needed.

As has been said practice makes perfect or this case acceptable.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:47 PM   #37

Name: Linda
Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Ontario
Wow!

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I can hitch it usually on the first attempt, tow it and unhitch it. But backing up? Not so hot :-( . It is especially difficult if Steve is getting impatient with me in front of others.

It is good to know that I am not the only one somewhat challenged in backing up my Boler.

Thank you Glenn for clearing up the mystery, at least to me, about my hand on the
bottom of my steering wheel. It has been told to me before but I honestly didn't understand it until your explanation.

Being a bad "backer upper" hasn't slowed my enjoyment of my trailer whatsoever but I really want to appear "cool" when I back it up. I have an extremely tight entrance to my driveway and of course all the immediate neighbors seem to be outside when I am trying to back it up. The men gather around all offering backing up advice. Very nerve wracking.

I am going to go to the Walmart parking lot after closing and practice until I get it right.
At that point I will really feel empowered!

Linda
Linda Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:56 PM   #38

Name: Linda
Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Ontario
Donna,

That is an awesome idea! I will take a bow next time and you are quite right. When people are watching I do sweat bullets and my face is flushed beet red. I share a driveway with another family. We both have two parking spots and the Boler has to go into a precise spot to make the parking work.

I darn well will keep practicing until I get it perfect.

Linda

Linda
Linda Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:59 PM   #39

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Byron's correct!!!
Learn to use your mirrors.
Set the drivers mirror so you can see the side of your vehicle and the trailer.
By seeing the straight line of your vehicle and trailer you will see the change of direction of your trailer instantly.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:05 PM   #40

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
[QUOTE=Ellpea in CA;550051]I didn't have any cones, but picked individual stalls to back into. The hand on the bottom of the wheel turning the way you want the trailer to go works, but it was almost more helpful for me to watch the mirrors, even the rear view mirror.

LP, always use the side mirrors, forget the rear view is there, it's no help in backing up.

This 13.5 trailer does react quickly. I had to learn to straighten out the steering wheel quickly once she was pointed in the right direction, and then crank it the other way to get the car to follow.

Finding the sweet spot so all you're doing is chasing it back is nice. Actually breaking the tug/trailer to the angle you need to just chase it back is the first rule of backing. Have seen many stop at a 90* angle to where they want to park....got ugly pretty fast. The funniest parking job I ever saw was a guy with a 5th wheel trying to get it in a marked stall at our local stadium parking lot for an event the next day. Many acres and there were only two others there at the time and no one with in an acre of him. Finally got it after 20 minutes of zig zags. After he got set up I just had to "force" myself to say Hi. After he told me of how hard it was to get the rig in the space I asked him why he didn't just drive around in a loop and pull straight in? Needless to say the look on his face after the light bulb went off was priceless.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote