Least expensive new tug w/ 3000 lb towing capacity? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2009, 12:35 AM   #1

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Escape
Registry
I am hoping to scrape together the funds to buy a 17 foot Escape. The TV must be rated for 3000 pounds although I would prefer 3500. I would prefer to buy a new vehicle. I think that here in Western Canada, the V6 Ford Escape and Mazda Tribute are the least expensive options, especially given 0% financing right now. Next seems to be the Suzuki Grand Vitara, but that is a 4-cylinder model, and 4 or 6 cylinders, the limit is 3000 lb. The Hyundai Santa Fe and Toyota Rav 4 are in the mix. So are the Toyota Sienna and Honda Odyssey.

List prices for all of the above are around $30,000 CDN. $25,000 seems to be unobtainable.

Anything else I should be looking at?

Ron
Ron Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:32 AM   #2

Trailer: 94 Casita 16 ft
I'd say a lease return. I know you want new, but after 2 years, most of the depreciation hit has been absorbed, and the vehicles tend to be in very good condition. Most leases are subject to a fairly close inspection on their return.
Paul from NWOnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:08 AM   #3

Trailer: Former 1978 Trillium 4500 owner (now 2010 R-pod)
Ontario
The Sante Fe V6 was recently advertised in Ontario for $19,995.

Or how about a rear wheel drive Monte Carlo with only 4000 original miles - practically new!

http://cgi.ebay.com:80/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI...ARL:MOTORS:1123
Old 02-16-2009, 02:18 PM   #4

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Escape B
In October we bought a lease return 2006 Ford Escape.
We will be using it to tow a 17" Escape...

We were told by the salesman that we needed to get the one with the factory installed towing package otherwise we would only be able to tow 1,500 lbs. Something about the oil cooler and tranny cooler (even though we were going to get them added on after--they "said" it would be cheaper in the long run and more "legal")

Of course that came with the "factory" class 2 hitch and Reace recommended that we get the "equalizer" hitch. So, of course that meant a class 3 hitch.
When I took it to Carline here in Poco to get the class 3 hitch installed---they ended up installing it under the original class 2 because the hitch is basically built into the bumper and it would have been a major deal to take the bumper off etc etc. SO it is VERY solidly installed and uses the same bolt as the other..... It doesn't look bad having the two hitches--I have seen other Escapes like this and now I know why....

With the GVCW and all I think it will be a good fit. We added up the weight of all the stuff we think we will be taking--including our folding bikes etc etc... Also with thinking of travelling up higher elevations we made sure for that calculation too..... Have some room to spare which is a good thing....

Good luck with what decision you make..
Doug & Anna-Marie P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:14 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
My '98 Ranger tow package has aux transmission cooler and power steering cooler, plus it also has a separate relay for the trailer lights to keep the load off the truck light wires (also keeps a fuse-blowing short in the trailer wiring from affecting the truck lights or wires). There may be other hidden things in the package of which I am unaware.

The rear differential (3.73) has a much larger pumpkin -- I don't know if that is from the tow package or from having the large V6 (which also comes with the beefier version of the 5-speed auto transmission).
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote