Leaving the trailer hitched while parked? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2017, 09:20 AM   #21

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Any time you drop your stabilizers and hook to shore facilities for more than a night, it might prove wise to disconnect. In an emergency time is precious, so it is good to have the vehicle immediately available.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:44 AM   #22

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
Gordon 2- The link you posted for the manual doesn't work for me. Do you have another one I can try? Thanks
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:47 AM   #23

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Good point Floyd.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:59 AM   #24

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
When on the road we do not unhook or lower stabilizers for a one night stand. Tundra does not need to be unhooked from 7 pin.

However, on the side of caution, I am installing air suspension this week, just because I prefer to keep my TT as level as possible.

We have parked for a night in areas that may not have been a little iffy, for one reason or another, and I like the idea of being able to move out quickly.

For instance, one time in NM, paved mountain road, stream flowing beside it, a number of rather tight pull outs between stream and road. It was late, pulled off, did not unhook, storm in the mountains above us. Next morning, stream was raging river, water between us and the road. Jumped in, did not have any real problems pulling out, but did not piddle around either. A bit further down the road noticed signs stating pull outs subject to flooding. As it turns out we were darn lucky.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:36 AM   #25

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmad1 View Post
Gordon 2- The link you posted for the manual doesn't work for me. Do you have another one I can try? Thanks
My bad.. the ONE time I don't test a link after I post it..

Anyway there are a number of fridge manuals in the download section so perhaps there are even better ones than than I saw.

I have updated my post to point to the entire fridge download list...
Fiberglass RV - Document Center - Refrigerators
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:23 PM   #26

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I find folks worry way too much about getting level for the sake of your fridge. While it is important to be relatively level, there is no problem having some slope. I have read anything from 3-6° is acceptable. Even at only 3° with a 13' trailer that is just over 8", with a 16' it is 10", and 21' is 13". Width wise allowing for 7' you could be off level by 4 3/8". Not too many rest stops are that bad.
Jim,

I agree completely.

The idea that fridges "must be level", has now become "absolutely level or they get damaged". Also, there is a difference between "not working because of out of level" and "damaged". If one stops working because it is slanted too much, returning it to a more level stance will allow it to work. No damage done.

There is actually quite a bit of tolerance. If you can be in the trailer comfortably, the fridge will be fine. I've never had any of mine quit from out of level.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:11 AM   #27

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
When we trailered with my parents in the 60s, the 3-way fridge required near perfection in levelling.

Paul and I have physical issues that make it miserable to try to sleep on any kind of a slope.

Paul bought big truck jacks and uses them as levelers for our Peanut--on food-safe plastic flats he made with rope loops for easy maneuverability.

He's able to level it, so far, hooked up or not Those truck jacks (one per truck--for changing a tire, you know, weight capacity over 6,000 pounds each--four of them on a 2,000 pound trailer) -- are hell for stout and will allow us to level Peanut to near perfection. Paul's getting pretty quick with them, too, though I'll suggest the need for a "flood drill" to see if he can make it even faster. I'm sure he'll be ever so grateful--as soon as we encounter a flood!

Great advice here...always level for the sake of the doors...you know, that's such a good point!

Thanks, all!

Kai
Old 06-16-2017, 03:18 PM   #28

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernese Bunch View Post
While at a campground, can the TT stay hitched to the car for a few days? .
We seem to have gotten very much side tracked into overnight stops, but the OP was asking about multiple day stops, thus my surprise that one would even consider staying hitched.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 03:28 PM   #29

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
We seem to have gotten very much side tracked into overnight stops, but the OP was asking about multiple day stops, thus my surprise that one would even consider staying hitched.
Yeah. It "can", but why?
Old 06-16-2017, 03:29 PM   #30

Name: Diane
Trailer: 2015 Lil Snoozy
Delaware
Quote:
Whew, Jim! I was getting a little wrapped-up in all these posts and almost forgot my question! I pretty much have my answer but still like reading all the posts! Thanks to everyone. Lots of good info here and lots to consider.
Bernese Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 04:18 PM   #31

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernese Bunch View Post
Whew, Jim! I was getting a little wrapped-up in all these posts and almost forgot my question! I pretty much have my answer but still like reading all the posts! Thanks to everyone. Lots of good info here and lots to consider.
Thread drift happens, it's no big deal. I just did not want to lose focus on the original question.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 03:38 PM   #32

Name: John
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Hawaii
Sometimes when going cross country, I'm arriving at a remote camp site later than I would like. More than a few times I was left with a much less than optimal site... with way more slope than I would prefer.

I park my rig with the trailer on the downhill side. If the slope requires me to unhook to level, I do so. But for safety, I leave the safety chains attached to the truck...Just in case my Oliver decides to go for a stroll.

I seem to sleep a lot better knowing that Ollie is on a short leash and I'll know where I will find us in the morning.
Geronimo John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 06:18 PM   #33

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
I frequently do not unhitch if I can get the trailer level while hitched up. I will just deploy the rear stabilizer jacks. I often travel with a friend and his wife and we ride around to various places while camping in his truck as it is a 4 door, mine is a standard cab. I will unhook if I want transportation or if necessary to get level.

Charles

Tags
vin