Lifting Scamp and Bolers? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2003, 09:52 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Lifting Scamp and Bolers?

O.K., I want/need to lift my Scamp. Who has done it and how did you do it? :helpme

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 06:41 PM   #2

lifting scamp

I started by jacking the trailer, in 4 places , with proper jack stands, took the tires off, with a sharp metal scratcher, or a good welders pencil, marker, I marked a line up and down the frame, alongside the axle, so I could use it as a reference point, I then used an air powered mini grinder with an eighth or sixteenth thick grinding wheel, I ground off all the welds that hold the axle on,( I do not recommend cutting torch) diconnected the brake wires, and dropped the axle, I then placed the axle on a table replaced bearings, brakes, etc, I cut 2 pieces of 3 inch x 2 x 1/8 tubing aproximately 18 to 24 inches long, tack welded them onto the axle flanges, to increase heighth 3 inches, I then welded a piece of 1 1/2 x1/8 sq tubing to serve as a torsion bar, , and rewelded to the frame, this is what I remember from the job done a year ago.Hope this helps. Paul

Old 01-28-2003, 12:24 AM   #3

Check out my thread in the Modifications, Alterations & Neat Updates section.

www.fiberglassrv.com/board/read.php?TID=371

Old 01-28-2003, 08:37 AM   #4

Any Pix?

Paul, any chance you could get pictures of you lift? Pictures are worth a thousand words!

Any other methods? Perhaps useing leaf springs or, as I saw somewhere else, an old minivan axle? I saw a Canadian's Boler where he had used (I think) motorcycle shocks, Pontiac sway bar and a minivan axle plus leafs to lift his 'for sale' Boler. But, alas, he never got back to me with the details or pix.

Old 01-29-2003, 09:33 PM   #5

axle lift pictures

Don. I bought my wife one of those new fandangled digital cameras, and just as soon as she shows me how to use it , I will send pictures. Paul

Old 01-30-2003, 08:10 AM   #6

Thanks Paul, I look forward to them!

Tags
scamp