Lifting the egg from the trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2012, 02:58 AM   #1

Name: Frederic
Trailer: U-Haul ct-13
Quebec
Lifting the egg from the trailer

Hello,

I am in the process of revitalizing my u-haul frame . Want to sand blast,do some minor welding and repaint it. I am wondering what would be the best way to lift the egg up the frame?

I have been looking for a thread on that issue but can't find anything.

Thanks for your help

Fred
theman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:07 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Fred: Do you really have to do that? The Uhaul frames are well made and quite sturdy, what needs welding. However if it had to be done, I think I would use at least 4 jacks, put 2 X 6 wood or similar against the trailer floor, jack slowly and evenly until clearing the frame and then put 4 X 4 beams across to support the trailer body. Don't open the door! Bob
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:49 AM   #3

Quebec
Hello Bob,

Thanks for your reply. I have a hole (look at pics). This is not structural, I think, but since I am pimping up everything since we want to keep it for a long time I assume its is a good thing to have a clean trailer.

One other question: I was planning on removing the propane holder to move it a little bit forward so I can install a tool box between the egg and the bottle. This part seem to me to add little weight for nothing? If I am not clear let me know and I will go with some pics.

Thanks again for your comments.

Fred
Old 03-21-2012, 08:53 AM   #4

Quebec
Pics or the rusted hole.
Attached Thumbnails
photo (3).JPG  
Old 03-21-2012, 09:46 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
You might be able to shield the body while this is welded. There are special blankets made for this which a professional welder would have.

That propane holder is a bit overbuilt, no?
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:55 AM   #6

Quebec

I am not sure what you mean, but I you think it is to big for nothing, that why I want to change the configuration to a simplier and lighter form. Leaving a little extra room for my tool box.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:25 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by theman View Post

I am not sure what you mean, but I you think it is to big for nothing, that why I want to change the configuration to a simplier and lighter form. Leaving a little extra room for my tool box.
Yea, look at other trailers - it doesn't need to be nearly that hefty. UHaul built the trailers for rental service - meaning you could back into it with your car and still not hit the propane tank.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:53 AM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
From the looks of that hole, I would say that moisture or salt or mud got inside the frame and laid in there and rusted it out from the inside. I just use a piece of sheet metal as a heat shield when I am welding near something that could be damaged. I would take a ballpeen or chipping hammer and tap around all the enclosed sections of the frame to see if there are any other rotten spots. I have to look at my frame for other ideas, but possibly weld in a section or patch with reinforcing gussetts to repair that rusted area. I'm sure it can be repaired without separating the body from the frame. Note that the 12 volt wiring to the tail and marker lights runs through the frame, and propane lines would have to be disconnected also.That propane tank holder is quite a chunk of metal, and I don't see where it provides any structural strength to the trailer tongue, just don't get into the tongue when you cut it off. Bob
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:57 AM   #9

Quebec
I know it might be a little bit of work but will be worth the effort as for security issue.

Thanks to all for your help and comments. I will probably take pics of the process and give you the update of my propane tank modification.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:35 PM   #10

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by theman View Post
Hello,

I am in the process of revitalizing my u-haul frame . Want to sand blast,do some minor welding and repaint it. I am wondering what would be the best way to lift the egg up the frame?

I have been looking for a thread on that issue but can't find anything.

Thanks for your help

Fred
Fred,

See post 33 in the following link for pictures of lifting a Burro body off the frame.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...d-43697-3.html

Andy
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:46 AM   #11

Quebec
Andy,

Thanks for the info. I was still thinking on how I was going to lift it and concrete bloc was the idea I had. This is just confirming that I am on the good path.

Fred