Lil Bigfoot 13' needs new axle - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2014, 12:01 PM   #41

Name: Dee
Trailer: Currently shopping
Saskatchewan
Final response was.. " A 2500 lb axle doesn't exist. Any axle rated over 2200lbs is in fact a 3500 lb axle. The manufactures only give them the lower rating to avoid having to install electric brakes but they are still a 3500 lb axle."

To which he then suggested a different company that may be able to straighten my current axle???

What did he mean by there are no axles over 2200lb??

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
denabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:42 PM   #42

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by denabear View Post
Final response was.. " A 2500 lb axle doesn't exist. Any axle rated over 2200lbs is in fact a 3500 lb axle. The manufactures only give them the lower rating to avoid having to install electric brakes but they are still a 3500 lb axle."

To which he then suggested a different company that may be able to straighten my current axle???

What did he mean by there are no axles over 2200lb??

I think he is saying the axle structure (metal tube, bracket and arms) is either one rated to a max of 2200 lbs. OR it is an axle structure that can be built to a max of 3500 lbs.

Dexter #9 axle can be built for between 1000 and 2200 lbs. of trailer weight. A Dexter #10 axle can be built from 2300 to 4000 lbs. I think he is saying that any 2500 lb. axle is a #10 axle, with the suspension tuned to a reduced weight.

To get a 2500 lb. axle Dexter uses the structure of a #10 (3500 lb.) axle but by reducing the rubber in the tube adjusts it down to have a suspension appropriate to supporting a 2500 lb. trailer. They can not put enough rubber into a #9 axle to have the right suspension for anything over 2200 lbs.

His explanation is lacking detail but essentially correct. Any Dexter axle over 2200 lbs. is the same axle (as far as the metal goes) as a 3500 lb. axle.

Were you able to watch that Dexter video? I see iPhone in your posts and I'm not sure if iPhone can view it. In that video you can see how going over bumps the arm the tire is on has to twist against the rubber inside the axle and compress it, more rubber takes more weight and force to compress the rubber. Less rubber takes less weight. Above 2200 lbs. you need a bigger axle tube to have enough rubber, the next size bigger tube can hold enough rubber to go up to 4000 lbs. (but 3500 is a more typical trailer weight which is probably why he calls it a 3500 lb. axle)

Above a certain weight rating the axle would have to have brakes, so he is saying the only reason that Dexter makes them with a reduce the weight rating (less rubber) in the 3500 lb. axle is so brakes are not required. In the case of our campers we want weight rating reduced to provide a softer ride than a typical utility trailer.

Can I add brakes later is not the same question as does it come with brake mounting plate. In technical stuff like specification the more specific the question the more specific the reply.

BTW - reducing the suspension rubber is often called "de-tuned" or "detuned" I ordered a 3500# axle detuned to 2500#.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:21 PM   #43

Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
I think he is saying the axle structure (metal tube, bracket and arms) is either one rated to a max of 2200 lbs. OR it is an axle structure that can be built to a max of 3500 lbs.

Dexter #9 axle can be built for between 1000 and 2200 lbs. of trailer weight. A Dexter #10 axle can be built from 2300 to 4000 lbs. I think he is saying that any 2500 lb. axle is a #10 axle, with the suspension tuned to a reduced weight.

To get a 2500 lb. axle Dexter uses the structure of a #10 (3500 lb.) axle but by reducing the rubber in the tube adjusts it down to have a suspension appropriate to supporting a 2500 lb. trailer. They can not put enough rubber into a #9 axle to have the right suspension for anything over 2200 lbs.

His explanation is lacking detail but essentially correct. Any Dexter axle over 2200 lbs. is the same axle (as far as the metal goes) as a 3500 lb. axle.

Were you able to watch that Dexter video? I see iPhone in your posts and I'm not sure if iPhone can view it. In that video you can see how going over bumps the arm the tire is on has to twist against the rubber inside the axle and compress it, more rubber takes more weight and force to compress the rubber. Less rubber takes less weight. Above 2200 lbs. you need a bigger axle tube to have enough rubber, the next size bigger tube can hold enough rubber to go up to 4000 lbs. (but 3500 is a more typical trailer weight which is probably why he calls it a 3500 lb. axle)

I get what you are saying but if that was the case I do not understand why he would call it a 3500lb axle. To say that would imply it is made for up to 3500 lbs. A number 10 @ 2500lbs or something would make much more logical sense and probably would not have swung me into panic mode. Assuming of course that that was what he meant???

Old 08-07-2014, 04:32 PM   #44

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
My suggestion is to put a hold on the axle replacement for a bit. I would tell the trailer shop that YOU need to learn a bit more in order to feel comfortable with the choice you make. Rather than telling him you have no confidence in him. No point in burning your bridges and figuring out what can be done that will make you happy is going to take some work and learning on your part. And might cost more money.

As pointed out by PerryJ on page 1 adding a frame member and switching from a leading arm to a trailing arm axle is a solution that does not require the frame be cut. I would also mention that between 3 and 4 inches of lift in that picture of a bigfoot high rider was because he used a 22.5 degree down angle axle.

I'm going to send you a PM so we can exchange some information without cluttering up the post.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:56 PM   #45

Name: Dale
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
@denabear where are you located in Saskatchewan? There has to be a straight forward resolution that we can figure out to get your egg back on the road safely!
dbir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:29 PM   #46

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post

... Above 2200 lbs. you need a bigger axle tube to have enough rubber, the next size bigger tube can hold enough rubber to go up to 4000 lbs. (but 3500 is a more typical trailer weight which is probably why he calls it a 3500 lb. axle)

Above a certain weight rating the axle would have to have brakes, so he is saying the only reason that Dexter makes them with a reduce the weight rating (less rubber) in the 3500 lb. axle is so brakes are not required.
BTW - reducing the suspension rubber is often called "de-tuned" or "detuned" I ordered a 3500# axle detuned to 2500#.
I agree with what Roger is saying. I'm a little confused over the 3500 and 4000 Lbs. only because I think Dexter may have changed their specs for a #10 axle. Unless my memory has failed me, the #10 used to go up to 3500 Lbs.
Yes, utility trailer guys are often concerned about axle capacities and brakes. Over a certain limit utility trailers need brakes that have to be inspected annualy, at least here in Ontario. The trailer guy that did mine found out that while doing mine that campers are exempt. I think I helped him out on that one. You might want to look the rules up for SK.

So when it comes to 2200 lbs and 3500 lbs axles they are slang or trade type terms. I think I can explain it using Ford Pickups since they have not changed their numbering for years. The terms F150, F250 and F350 have been called 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton a 1 ton pickups for decades because that is the approximate payload they can carry(forgive me if I got the numbers mixed up, I'm trying to do an analogy). GM and Dodge have their own numbers for the same classes of trucks and vans.

In each class of truck, the towing capacity differs based on options such as cab type, rear end, brakes and engine. Same truck different components.

In each class of axle, the amount it is designed to carry depends on the length of rubber installed in the axle. Same axle, different components.

Hope that helps. I agree with Roger. If your choices are limited, don't burn your bridges.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 04:16 PM   #47

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
So has there ever been an update on this issue? Did Dena get her axle replaced?

I appreciate the info posted here, I'm sharing it with my RV shop so we're on the same page about replacing the axle. It sounds like Perry J's solution is the one we should go with...
Old 03-01-2016, 04:22 PM   #48

Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post

I appreciate the info posted here, I'm sharing it with my RV shop so we're on the same page about replacing the axle. It sounds like Perry J's solution is the one we should go with...
I have no info for you. The trailer has not been fixed, it's sitting in storage now
Old 03-02-2016, 12:53 AM   #49

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by denabear View Post
I have no info for you. The trailer has not been fixed, it's sitting in storage now
Dena, so sorry! Is this because you haven't been able to find a reputable repair place?
Old 03-02-2016, 01:42 AM   #50

Saskatchewan
Quote:
Dena, so sorry! Is this because you haven't been able to find a reputable repair place?
I put it off at first because I didn't really understand it all and felt really dumb and overwhelmed and now money is tied up in other adventures (heading to Japan in a few weeks) so unsure if I will start saving to fix it or just sell it
Old 05-30-2016, 09:29 AM   #51

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:

Over the week-end the Fiberglass group in BC had a meet and as per normal we had Bigfoot owners present including a couple of Lil Bigfoots.

So I asked them for you if they had replaced their axles and two said yes. I asked if they had trouble getting replacement axles and they said no problems. Simple took the trailer to a reputable Dexter axle dealer/shop and they figured out and did the replacement with no issues.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:34 AM   #52

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
http://www.dexteraxle.com/find_a_dexter_distributor______
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:54 PM   #53

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Over the week-end the Fiberglass group in BC had a meet and as per normal we had Bigfoot owners present including a couple of Lil Bigfoots.

So I asked them for you if they had replaced their axles and two said yes. I asked if they had trouble getting replacement axles and they said no problems. Simple took the trailer to a reputable Dexter axle dealer/shop and they figured out and did the replacement with no issues.
Carol, thanks for doing the investigating. We have our axle on order. It will probably take 3-5 weeks to get built and delivered. After we have it installed, I'll upload all of *our* measurements and order info. Apparently it's been very easy for some owners, and very difficult for others.

I'm not sure I would have found the right resource without advice from others here. We are pretty positive the PO knew the axle was bad, and had installed the little block lifters (and possibly flipped the axle, hubby says the arms are facing the wrong way) to hide that fact. If he started at a regular RV repair place like we did and hit the same roadblocks, he may have thought replacement was impossible. As we were saying our goodbyes (me clutching the paperwork and keys and brimming with delight), the wife looked at me with what looked like a measure of guilt and said, "remember, it's an old trailer."

I appreciate the pep talks we received to see us through this traumatic experience!

Tags
axle, bigfoot