Lil Snoozy axle replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2018, 01:19 PM   #1

Name: Doug
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Maryland
Lil Snoozy axle replacement

I purchase a 2012 Lil Snoozy several months ago and on the 7 hour drive home it chewed up the inside edge of the drivers side tire. I was able to replace the tires to get through Maryland inspection but the concern for why this happened was still there. I was thinking of changing the angle of the torsion axle because the tires were rubbing on the fenders. I brought it to a local trailer shop to purchase a new axle found that Dexter will not reproduce the axle because of the poor design. Additionally, only one bolt was used to secure the axle to the frame on the drives side because the grey water tank was in the way. Snoozy owners should check this to see if I'm alone or the norm.
Are there any other Snoozy owners that have had tire wear/axle problems and what did you do to solve them? Kind of frustrated. Hoping for some good news.
Thanks, Doug
dbensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:08 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbensen View Post
I purchase a 2012 Lil Snoozy several months ago and on the 7 hour drive home it chewed up the inside edge of the drivers side tire. I was able to replace the tires to get through Maryland inspection but the concern for why this happened was still there. I was thinking of changing the angle of the torsion axle because the tires were rubbing on the fenders. I brought it to a local trailer shop to purchase a new axle found that Dexter will not reproduce the axle because of the poor design. Additionally, only one bolt was used to secure the axle to the frame on the drives side because the grey water tank was in the way. Snoozy owners should check this to see if I'm alone or the norm.
Are there any other Snoozy owners that have had tire wear/axle problems and what did you do to solve them? Kind of frustrated. Hoping for some good news.
Thanks, Doug
Someone else just recently had a tire wear like that but not rubbing. It turned out to be the castle nut being too loose, letting the bearings "wobble".
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 05:36 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I damaged my axle soon after purchasing the Hauley and it would have taken weeks to get a replacement torsion... i needed it quickly for work... but the shop was able to attach a spring axle in 2 days, so I went with that instead. It was cheaper and I gained ground clearance too. IOW, you have options.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:20 PM   #4

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
More than likely the wheel bearings are loose. I had the same problem just not as severe. Remove (or get someone to ) the hubcap, with the trailer jacked up, the wheel should turn freely with very little in and out movement. If it is to loose, adjust the nut until the plat disappears. The bearing is probably OK.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:12 PM   #5

Name: Doug
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Maryland
bearings okay

Bearings checked out okay but it was certainly worth a shot. I think there is a story and if trailers could talk.... Anyway, working with Wesco, the company that made the trailers for Snoozy, and their records go back to 2014. Have to give them some dimensions and hopefully I will be back in business. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again for the tips, Doug
dbensen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, lil snoozy