Lock-n-roll coupler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2016, 07:13 PM   #1

Trailer: Home Built Teardrop and U-Haul and Scamp
Lock-n-roll coupler

I'm needing to upgrade my OLD Scamp again, in addition to a new axle I'd like to replace this spring,I need to replace the coupler because of a small incident a month ago when I lent the Scamp to a friend and it bounced off the ball hitch,only causing minimal damage,but don't want that to ever happen again.I'm building a expedition trailer now and am going to use some sort of "off road" coupler then I ran across this https://locknroll.com/shop-now/trail...railer-tongue/ I haven't seen any in person an would like some personal opinions before I spent that much $$ upgrading a couple trailers...
Bill D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:30 PM   #2

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
No experience with that hitch. I have used a regular Pintle or lunette type hitch with good effect on a few heavy trailer applications and been well satisfied with the results. I don't see any need to reinvent the wheel if an off road heavy duty hitch is what you desire. They can be set up to fully swivel if your application requires it. And for far less money than the locknroll I would say.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:52 PM   #3

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
No experience with that hitch. I have used a regular Pintle or lunette type hitch with good effect on a few heavy trailer applications and been well satisfied with the results. I don't see any need to reinvent the wheel if an off road heavy duty hitch is what you desire. They can be set up to fully swivel if your application requires it. And for far less money than the locknroll I would say.
I agree!
Old 01-22-2016, 09:33 PM   #4

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Why not a Bulldog hitch. Much more common, fail safe, and very strong.

Bulldog Collar-Lok Coupler w/ Low-Profile Latch - 2" Ball - A-Frame - 7,000 lbs Bulldog A-Frame Trailer Coupler BD028287
Old 01-22-2016, 10:18 PM   #5

Trailer: Home Built Teardrop and U-Haul and Scamp
Never saw a Bulldog hitch,looks interesting..The only reason I liked the lock n roll was that I could use the same "truck side" hitch and just buy the trailer side for the scamp and the expedition trailer (when finished),the BIG down side is for a truck side and two separate trailer side mounts is about $400…I really like this one max coupler $235.00 free shipping but can't figure out how to make it work on the Scamp..If I could make it work with some modification,I would just switch it between trailers..
Bill D is offline   Reply With Quote