Long trip. Tires! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-01-2012, 10:35 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,049
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
You can face the same problems in a big city.
Not as long as they have an interstate by-pass!
__________________

__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:48 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Roy in TO's Avatar
 
Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Posts: 4,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Not as long as they have an interstate by-pass!
We had a tire go last summer, the police escort you off the highway. No choice in the matter. Luckily there was a tire shop within a mile that had a single tire the right size.

We had not yet replaced the spare that snapped off somewhere the trip before. Now we have a spare and 3 different tires.
__________________

__________________
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Bob Miller's Avatar
 
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Posts: 7,912
Quote from Daniel A's post:
My tires are 8 years old by the date stamp I was going to replace them but my tire guy looked them over and said stay with them.
No sun damage, no cracking, but he did say if I were going long distance than yes replace them.

If I were Daniel I would find a new tire guy!!!
Me thinks his tire guy is saying that it's OK for short trips so he can sell new tires.
As I think I mentioned, my Hunter cames with almost new, but 12 year old, tires. They look great, but won't get any more miles on them.... except to drive over to Americas tire for new ones.
BTW: Tire failures on several Toyota Motorhomes I know of caused enough damage that they were declared "totaled" by the ins cos.
__________________
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:42 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
You can face the same problems in a big city.
Yup but you may have the option of finding a place to park where you can phone around and disconnect and go and get what you really want.... in a one tire town you will for sure not have that option.

When changing out your trailer tires its also a good idea to remember to consider what you are carrying as a spare. If you dont update your spare to match the specs on the tires on trailer when you replace them you may find that the spare is of such a different spec it may not be safe to use it for more than a few miles. Dont ask me how I know that
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
Posts: 233
Well all the nervous nellies have given you no choice but to get new tires now. I just did a similar length trip on 14 year old tires. I just did not know it. The tires looked fine before I left. Ignorance really is bliss! Now I can see big cracks and worn tread and I know how old they are so I have to replace them. One of them I will press into service as a spare. Livin' on the edge...oh yeah!
__________________
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:57 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,049
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel A. View Post
My tires are 8 years old by the date stamp I was going to replace them but my tire guy looked them over and said stay with them.
No sun damage, no cracking, but he did say if I were going long distance than yes replace them.
Your tires are fully warmed up in about twenty miles at speed. I guess that makes anything more than 25 miles a long trip. A tire is either fit to use at highway speeds or it's not.
The only trailer tire which I have replaced due to side wall cracking and desiccation was six months old and replaced under warranty.
I have no plans to replace my tires twice a year.
__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,049
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Quote from Daniel A's post:
My tires are 8 years old by the date stamp I was going to replace them but my tire guy looked them over and said stay with them.
No sun damage, no cracking, but he did say if I were going long distance than yes replace them.

If I were Daniel I would find a new tire guy!!!
Me thinks his tire guy is saying that it's OK for short trips so he can sell new tires.
As I think I mentioned, my Hunter cames with almost new, but 12 year old, tires. They look great, but won't get any more miles on them.... except to drive over to Americas tire for new ones.
BTW: Tire failures on several Toyota Motorhomes I know of caused enough damage that they were declared "totaled" by the ins cos.
How much of that was due to that cheapo imitation dually set-up?
__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:30 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Posts: 541
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Your tires are fully warmed up in about twenty miles at speed. I guess that makes anything more than 25 miles a long trip. A tire is either fit to use at highway speeds or it's not.
The only trailer tire which I have replaced due to side wall cracking and desiccation was six months old and replaced under warranty.
I have no plans to replace my tires twice a year.
If I were traveling day in and out for weeks at a time that would be the consideration, my trailer travels at speeds of 75 miles an hour.
A tire fit one day may not look as good the next.
I have no problem trusting the guy with 40 years tire experience using the same tires on his own trailers hauling his hot-rods around.
__________________
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:31 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Carol H's Avatar
 
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Posts: 11,731
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene View Post
Well all the nervous nellies have given you no choice but to get new tires now. I just did a similar length trip on 14 year old tires. I just did not know it. The tires looked fine before I left. Ignorance really is bliss! Now I can see big cracks and worn tread and I know how old they are so I have to replace them.

Suspect that you have discovered what many of us have discovered. Longer trips seem to be a lot harder on tires than short trips. If one is doing nothing but shorter trips the tires may last a lot longer than they do for those who routinely do 1000 mile and more trips several times a year.

Like so many things, a tires life span just doesn't seem to be like it use to be.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Bob Miller's Avatar
 
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Posts: 7,912
Dually and Tire Failures
Actually none. The tire failures I am speaking of were due to tires being over age.

The well documented, December, 1991, recall for 1978-1985 Toyota motorhomes was due to axles failing (actually breaking off) at the bearing face and had no effect on the tires. And it wasn't a case of being Cheapo, the builders overloaded the Toyota chassis and , asToyota didn't even have a full floating axle available until 1986 they went with aftermarket duals, a bad idea..... At the time of the recall, Toyota, although not at fault, provided a complete axle upgrade kit, with a full floating axle, 4 wheels and all parts needed to install in 1979-1985 chassis for the cost of shipping, about $85. About 90% of those affected have been updated over the years
__________________
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:04 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Posts: 1,320
no stick with the old tires. this will force you to be in fear of driving too fast or too far. so you will slow down and see stuff,,,and stop often and see stuff. all the while saving 2 bills and getting better gas milage.

ok,,,naw,,get the tires, but still slow down and stop often,
__________________
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:05 PM   #26
Junior Member
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: Skamp 13' 96
North Carolina
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene View Post
Well all the nervous nellies have given you no choice but to get new tires now. I just did a similar length trip on 14 year old tires. I just did not know it. The tires looked fine before I left. Ignorance really is bliss! Now I can see big cracks and worn tread and I know how old they are so I have to replace them. One of them I will press into service as a spare. Livin' on the edge...oh yeah!

Ha Ha... You are correct! I did get me some Hi-Run ST175/80D13's today.
They were $99.99 at Tractor Supply Company (normally $109.99).

The price was definitely worth the peace of mind, especially since I'm also hauling the greatest treasure ever! My Kids..

Thanks to all who replied to this really common topic. Got the new Tires on and the bearings are greased and packed! Beach Bound!
__________________
Michaelred73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:02 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,049
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelred73 View Post
Ha Ha... You are correct! I did get me some Hi-Run ST175/80D13's today.
They were $99.99 at Tractor Supply Company (normally $109.99).

The price was definitely worth the peace of mind, especially since I'm also hauling the greatest treasure ever! My Kids..

Thanks to all who replied to this really common topic. Got the new Tires on and the bearings are greased and packed! Beach Bound!
Ap"parent"ly you have no grandchildren as yet.
Enjoy the time you have with your kids , they don't stay small for long!
Either way they probably shouldn't ride in the trailer!
__________________

__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tires


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
pre-trip check: axle/wheels/bearings/tires Tom Byron Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 1 08-06-2010 03:13 PM
"Normal" leakage after long, wet trip? Amy M Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 8 11-21-2009 10:20 PM
The Long, Long Trailer Trip Frederick L. Simson General Chat 63 08-02-2009 05:01 PM
Comments on my recent long trip Legacy Posts General Chat 10 07-18-2003 07:20 PM
The Long, Long Trailer Trip Frederick L. Simson Oregon Gatherings 0 12-31-1969 07:00 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.