Long trip. Tires! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2012, 12:02 PM   #21

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Quote from Daniel A's post:
My tires are 8 years old by the date stamp I was going to replace them but my tire guy looked them over and said stay with them.
No sun damage, no cracking, but he did say if I were going long distance than yes replace them.

If I were Daniel I would find a new tire guy!!!
Me thinks his tire guy is saying that it's OK for short trips so he can sell new tires.
As I think I mentioned, my Hunter cames with almost new, but 12 year old, tires. They look great, but won't get any more miles on them.... except to drive over to Americas tire for new ones.
BTW: Tire failures on several Toyota Motorhomes I know of caused enough damage that they were declared "totaled" by the ins cos.
How much of that was due to that cheapo imitation dually set-up?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:30 PM   #22

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Your tires are fully warmed up in about twenty miles at speed. I guess that makes anything more than 25 miles a long trip. A tire is either fit to use at highway speeds or it's not.
The only trailer tire which I have replaced due to side wall cracking and desiccation was six months old and replaced under warranty.
I have no plans to replace my tires twice a year.
If I were traveling day in and out for weeks at a time that would be the consideration, my trailer travels at speeds of 75 miles an hour.
A tire fit one day may not look as good the next.
I have no problem trusting the guy with 40 years tire experience using the same tires on his own trailers hauling his hot-rods around.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #23

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene View Post
Well all the nervous nellies have given you no choice but to get new tires now. I just did a similar length trip on 14 year old tires. I just did not know it. The tires looked fine before I left. Ignorance really is bliss! Now I can see big cracks and worn tread and I know how old they are so I have to replace them.

Suspect that you have discovered what many of us have discovered. Longer trips seem to be a lot harder on tires than short trips. If one is doing nothing but shorter trips the tires may last a lot longer than they do for those who routinely do 1000 mile and more trips several times a year.

Like so many things, a tires life span just doesn't seem to be like it use to be.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:37 PM   #24

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Dually and Tire Failures
Actually none. The tire failures I am speaking of were due to tires being over age.

The well documented, December, 1991, recall for 1978-1985 Toyota motorhomes was due to axles failing (actually breaking off) at the bearing face and had no effect on the tires. And it wasn't a case of being Cheapo, the builders overloaded the Toyota chassis and , asToyota didn't even have a full floating axle available until 1986 they went with aftermarket duals, a bad idea..... At the time of the recall, Toyota, although not at fault, provided a complete axle upgrade kit, with a full floating axle, 4 wheels and all parts needed to install in 1979-1985 chassis for the cost of shipping, about $85. About 90% of those affected have been updated over the years

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:04 PM   #25

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
no stick with the old tires. this will force you to be in fear of driving too fast or too far. so you will slow down and see stuff,,,and stop often and see stuff. all the while saving 2 bills and getting better gas milage.

ok,,,naw,,get the tires, but still slow down and stop often,
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:05 PM   #26

Name: Michael
Trailer: Skamp 13' 96
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene View Post
Well all the nervous nellies have given you no choice but to get new tires now. I just did a similar length trip on 14 year old tires. I just did not know it. The tires looked fine before I left. Ignorance really is bliss! Now I can see big cracks and worn tread and I know how old they are so I have to replace them. One of them I will press into service as a spare. Livin' on the edge...oh yeah!

Ha Ha... You are correct! I did get me some Hi-Run ST175/80D13's today.
They were $99.99 at Tractor Supply Company (normally $109.99).

The price was definitely worth the peace of mind, especially since I'm also hauling the greatest treasure ever! My Kids..

Thanks to all who replied to this really common topic. Got the new Tires on and the bearings are greased and packed! Beach Bound!
Michaelred73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:02 PM   #27

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelred73 View Post
Ha Ha... You are correct! I did get me some Hi-Run ST175/80D13's today.
They were $99.99 at Tractor Supply Company (normally $109.99).

The price was definitely worth the peace of mind, especially since I'm also hauling the greatest treasure ever! My Kids..

Thanks to all who replied to this really common topic. Got the new Tires on and the bearings are greased and packed! Beach Bound!
Ap"parent"ly you have no grandchildren as yet.
Enjoy the time you have with your kids , they don't stay small for long!
Either way they probably shouldn't ride in the trailer!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires