looking at new TV Ford 2019 Ranger - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2019, 07:14 PM   #41

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
FINALLY! Drove the new Ranger today.

Exceeded my expectations.

I drove a Silver XLT 4WD Crewcab. It is a true five passenger vehicle, very solid, quiet and comfy, Beautiful upholstery. nice wheels and chrome package.

I will be buying a Saber 2WD STX Supercab.
Hate the wheels, which is really my only complaint.
Of course it will be a bit personalized after purchase.
This thing is Amazing.

Looks like....
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:46 AM   #42

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Thanks or the hands on report Floyd. Any word on when they'll have them on the lots ?
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 04:45 AM   #43

Name: Robert
Trailer: In the market
NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
FINALLY! Drove the new Ranger today.

Exceeded my expectations.

I drove a Silver XLT 4WD Crewcab. It is a true five passenger vehicle, very solid, quiet and comfy, Beautiful upholstery. nice wheels and chrome package.

I will be buying a Saber 2WD STX Supercab.
Hate the wheels, which is really my only complaint.
Of course it will be a bit personalized after purchase.
This thing is Amazing.

Looks like....
Australiian version is all Diesel and has a maximum 2,700lb payload and 7,700lb towing. Different from the 1500lb payload and 7500lb towing of the US Version. As well you have a greater variety of body types
RobertRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 07:39 AM   #44

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Very sharp truck, I'd love to see the actual payload of one of these.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:28 AM   #45

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Thanks or the hands on report Floyd. Any word on when they'll have them on the lots ?
The one I drove was one of the first delivered for dealer stock in Indiana

They are in full production now, and dealer orders came first, so they have started showing up already. Illinois dealers will start getting them this week so I guess everyone will see one before the month is out.
The dealer I spoke to said that they were at full capacity and an order would take 6-8 weeks.

I'm trying to figure out how to time delivery for when I get back from our Florida trip. I'll bet there will be plenty to see at dealers between here and Florida on the way down later this month.

Actual maximum payload is 1860 pounds with a tow rating of 7500 pounds.
It is available in Crewcab and Supercab with three primary levels, XL, XLT, and Lariat, with various packages.
My Supercab will be an XL with STX trim .
Old 01-03-2019, 09:39 AM   #46

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
I like that color and the wheels!
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 09:57 AM   #47

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
I like that color and the wheels!
The XLT has better wheel choices, but the STX has better contrast in trim.
I'm likely to paint the wheels either magnetic or black...

As they are, they would look good with other colors or the chrome package, but I think they clash with the Saber/black combo.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:19 AM   #48

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertRyan View Post
Australiian version is all Diesel and has a maximum 2,700lb payload and 7,700lb towing. Different from the 1500lb payload and 7500lb towing of the US Version. As well you have a greater variety of body types
Is the Ranger in the picture a standard cab or an extended cab?
Looks kind of small for an extended cab .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:37 PM   #49

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
I think you are correct. Especially black, would really look good with that grill and trim.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 02:02 PM   #50

Name: Robert
Trailer: In the market
NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
That Ford here calls a Supercab, do not know what it would be called in the US. Extended Cab is a Double Cab here. You do not get the Utility bed version,that takes a 2,700lb payload, it can range up too 3,100lb on the Australian versions. Other Rangers have a maximum of 2700lbs in other countries
RobertRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:08 AM   #51

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
They don't make a regular cab US version, the one in the picture is a Supercab it has two forward facing seats which are pretty tight for larger adults but adequate for short trips. Consider it as the "coupe" version of the Ranger, just a little better than the back seat of a Mustang.

If a buyer has a regular need for it, the Crewcab would be the right choice with room for five adults, three across in the back...
With two in the back and the arm rest down, the comfort and room is excellent even for adults on long trips, it also has conventional doors with access as good as the front. Consider it as the "sedan" version of the Ranger, with a backseat as good as any midsized SUV. Clearly as good or better than my son's 2008 Escape which has always been complimented for its rear seat comfort.

The big news is the front seats. I am six feet tall and I had to move the seat forward more than a third of the way to get a good driving position.
The premium upholstery is beautiful, comfortable and appears to be very durable. The seats have amazing lateral support while maintaining just enough softness to match the best luxury sedan.
Driving experience is what I would describe as a "Rightsized" F-150... solid, quiet, and secure.

Old 01-04-2019, 03:04 PM   #52

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
And you will need your lug wrench to change the oil....

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/01/04/...wheel-removal/

Not THAT big a deal, but it does make me appreciate how easy it is to change the oil and filter on the Sienna.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 03:49 PM   #53

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
I've gotten lazy and do not change my oil anymore. I am truly awful cuz I take it to the dealer and they do a tire rotation along with the oil and filter change. So, other than dealing with the doohickey clippy things, I guess it would not be a big deal. Now, going to Wally World or another quick oil change place might present a difficulty.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 03:59 PM   #54

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpat View Post
I've gotten lazy and do not change my oil anymore. I am truly awful cuz I take it to the dealer and they do a tire rotation along with the oil and filter change. So, other than dealing with the doohickey clippy things, I guess it would not be a big deal. Now, going to Wally World or another quick oil change place might present a difficulty.
I would be fine with paying extra for the convenience if it were convenient. but my dealer is at least 55 minutes round trip and the usual wait is at least two hours and often longer. Yes, they make appointments. But as far as I can tell they way over book and its still basically first come - first served. They do give you a free car wash though.. and the last run through the automatic car wash damaged my after-market satellite antenna. Since I could not prove it I just ate the replacement cost.

No, I will spend an hour at home changing oil instead as long as I can.

But the little added work will not stop me from buying a new gen Ranger.. if Floyd is still happy with his in 2020 or 2021.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:32 PM   #55

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
If you change your own oil, where do you take the used stuff?
Old 01-04-2019, 05:39 PM   #56

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Used to be you could take it to any oil change place and they'd take it. Then a few years ago they all stopped for some reason. I bring mine to the recycling area at the local landfill transfer station.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:07 PM   #57

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
If you change your own oil, where do you take the used stuff?

Ahh... even further topic drift.. my fault. But since we are here...

My used oil goes to the local waste transfer station.. About 3-4 miles from me. I go about once every 2-4 weeks anyway to drop off my recyclables (paper, cans, bottles). They accept used motor oil, coolant, batteries, tires, etc.. anything more hazardous needs to go to the main landfill or one of the local hazmat collection events, 2 times a year. There is even a Goodwill donation site there. Most of the local trash from the collection companies goes here and is then transferred to the main county landfill. Lots of good stuff is tossed here but no "dumpster diving" is allowed.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:34 PM   #58

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
And you will need your lug wrench to change the oil....

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/01/04/...wheel-removal/

Not THAT big a deal, but it does make me appreciate how easy it is to change the oil and filter on the Sienna.
My TC has a complete aeroshield under the engine which I thought was going to be a bit of a pain.
Turns out to be only a few seconds extra work each way on and off.

That description for the Ranger does sound strange but I sure welcome a big oil cooler.
I wonder if that article even applies to the 2WD anyway, since there will be no differential,halfshafts, driveshaft, transfer case or skidplate to contend with.

Fact is, I have spent many hours separating the wheat from the chaff on every question I had about the Ranger. A LOT of misinformation out there!

Thanks for the info and the link...

When I get to my first oil change I'll report back.

I have been known to change things I don't like.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:44 PM   #59

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Used to be you could take it to any oil change place and they'd take it. Then a few years ago they all stopped for some reason. I bring mine to the recycling area at the local landfill transfer station.
WalMart still does, but I take mine to a boat repair place which heats with drain oil.
Oddly enough we were not allowed to bring our oil from home to the refinery where I worked. They processed 250,000 barrels of crude oil per day but the EPA would not allow the refinery to accept and process a few gallons more from home, like we did for all the drain oil from equipment within the plant.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:46 PM   #60

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I wonder if that article even applies to the 2WD anyway, since there will be no differential,halfshafts, driveshaft, transfer case or skidplate to contend with.

Fact is, I have spent many hours separating the wheat from the chaff on every question I had about the Ranger. A LOT of misinformation out there!
Cant say if it applies to the 2WD.. I didnt look at it that close. But to your other point, yes, this article amused me because it was about the only negative thing I have heard about the new Ranger. I guess they have to find some bad thing to talk about.