looking at new TV Ford 2019 Ranger - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2019, 04:41 PM   #81

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
looking at new TV Ford 2019 Ranger

Maybe, but it also looks a lot like the same hexagonal grille that adorns the Escape, Edge, and some other recent Fords. The vertical bars are a nice touch recalling the previous Ranger.

Whatever may have inspired it, I deem the Ranger design tastefully restrained, unlike the cartoonish Tacoma.

I’ve long been partial to Toyota and Honda products, but I’m waiting for both to fire their styling teams. Best that can be said for the current Prius is it will save body work. It looks like it’s already been in an accident. The Pilot and Ridgeline look like the generic vehicles from insurance ads. Meanwhile the Civic and CR-V appear to have been designed in a THC fog while watching Star Wars in 3D.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:51 PM   #82

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Yeah, they all borrow from each other. The monstrosity known as "Tundra" definitely borrowed from some domestic full size styling. I really liked the first generation of Tundras.

I always have to give it a few years. I almost never like the new Tacomas when they first come out. Then I start getting used to them, and before you know it...I actually like them. Sometimes it takes a decade or so, though. I really disliked Tacomas when they first came out. Now I love the look of my 1st gen Tacoma, and don't like the looks of the new ones at all. I'll come around eventually, I'm sure, whether or not I ever buy one.

But I agree, I like the looks of this Ranger right off the bat. I feel similar to the Colorado though I don't like it as much as this. Going purely on looks.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:59 PM   #83

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHiker View Post
Looking at the photo of the front of the Ranger and Tacoma, it's clear that Ford borrowed styling cues from Toyota, which is a bit of a turn around....
The last generation of Rangers were identifiable from a block away as a Ranger. I was really hoping Ford was going to design this one to have it's own unique look but.....

The first time I saw a picture of the new Ranger, I had to do a double take as I thought they had run a pic of a Tacoma by mistake. Personally, I think they missed a great opportunity to stand out from the crowd.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:09 PM   #84

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHiker View Post
Looking at the photo of the front of the Ranger and Tacoma, it's clear that Ford borrowed styling cues from Toyota, which is a bit of a turn around....
I don't see that at all but I have been known to say that if Toyota continues with that styling they're bound to put Studebaker clean out of business.
Good luck on your next trip to Lens Crafters.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:52 PM   #85

Name: Mac
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' LD
Oregon
Don't get me started on oil filters/cartridges/etc...
Just did our 4Runner's first oil change after the free dealer service. The plastic cartridge housing (no spin-on can here!) is supposed to be torqued to 18 ft. lb.
I went to remove it, using the special tool, and the dealer folks had it on so tight that close to 100 lbs of force was needed. I had to use my air ratchet, and that did nothing other than crack the housing... ended up removing the thing with a pipe wrench.
Better half went to the dealer to get another housing ($107!) - they commiserated, and threw in a housing removal wrench for free, thinking I didn't have one. I will return to the dealer on Monday, and we will be having a discussion about what 18 lb. ft. feels like, and what I had to do to remove the housing. I plan to give them back the removal wrench in exchange for the return of my $107.

Enjoy your new rig!
Spongelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:03 AM   #86

Name: Mac
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' LD
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
And you will need your lug wrench to change the oil....

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/01/04/...wheel-removal/

Not THAT big a deal, but it does make me appreciate how easy it is to change the oil and filter on the Sienna.
CORRECTION: The Truth About Cars got this one wrong. A Ford representative reached out to us and said the procedure to change the oil and/or oil filter does NOT require removal of the wheel. Access to the filter is through an access panel in the wheel well. A Ford spokesperson told us that there are nine fasteners holding a rubber flap in place. Pull that off and the filter can be accessed. We regret the misinformation.

Nine fasteners?
Spongelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:43 AM   #87

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongelander View Post
CORRECTION: The Truth About Cars got this one wrong. A Ford representative reached out to us and said the procedure to change the oil and/or oil filter does NOT require removal of the wheel. Access to the filter is through an access panel in the wheel well. A Ford spokesperson told us that there are nine fasteners holding a rubber flap in place. Pull that off and the filter can be accessed. We regret the misinformation.

Nine fasteners?
The panel is flexible and requires only three be removed. I think there may be at least 7 fasteners to remove the aeroplate under my TC and I must use small ramps. The Ranger will be much easier.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 02:46 AM   #88

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
re: oil changes, I have the mityvac oil pump/cannister that holds like 6-8 quarts of dirty oil, for many of my vehicles, I can just stick the tube down the dipstick, and pump all the dirty oil out. this worked great on my older volvos and mercedes, and on the tacoma 4.0L v6

but on the ford 7.3, it did not get all the dirty oil, not even close. i think I';m going to get one of those oil plug valves, and i know I need a 3 gallon oil container
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 01:35 PM   #89

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Test of Tacoma, Ridgeline, Ranger, and Colorado

I was surprised at the results of this comparison of the Tacoma, Ridgeline, Ranger and Colorado pickups. Interesting reading, although it doesn't really address towing capabilities.
Motor Trend comparison
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote