looking at new TV Ford 2019 Ranger - Page 7 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-11-2019, 11:52 PM   #85

Name: Mac
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' LD
Oregon
Don't get me started on oil filters/cartridges/etc...
Just did our 4Runner's first oil change after the free dealer service. The plastic cartridge housing (no spin-on can here!) is supposed to be torqued to 18 ft. lb.
I went to remove it, using the special tool, and the dealer folks had it on so tight that close to 100 lbs of force was needed. I had to use my air ratchet, and that did nothing other than crack the housing... ended up removing the thing with a pipe wrench.
Better half went to the dealer to get another housing ($107!) - they commiserated, and threw in a housing removal wrench for free, thinking I didn't have one. I will return to the dealer on Monday, and we will be having a discussion about what 18 lb. ft. feels like, and what I had to do to remove the housing. I plan to give them back the removal wrench in exchange for the return of my $107.

Enjoy your new rig!

Spongelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:03 AM   #86

Name: Mac
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' LD
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
And you will need your lug wrench to change the oil....

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/01/04/...wheel-removal/

Not THAT big a deal, but it does make me appreciate how easy it is to change the oil and filter on the Sienna.
CORRECTION: The Truth About Cars got this one wrong. A Ford representative reached out to us and said the procedure to change the oil and/or oil filter does NOT require removal of the wheel. Access to the filter is through an access panel in the wheel well. A Ford spokesperson told us that there are nine fasteners holding a rubber flap in place. Pull that off and the filter can be accessed. We regret the misinformation.

Nine fasteners?

Spongelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:43 AM   #87

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongelander View Post
CORRECTION: The Truth About Cars got this one wrong. A Ford representative reached out to us and said the procedure to change the oil and/or oil filter does NOT require removal of the wheel. Access to the filter is through an access panel in the wheel well. A Ford spokesperson told us that there are nine fasteners holding a rubber flap in place. Pull that off and the filter can be accessed. We regret the misinformation.

Nine fasteners?
The panel is flexible and requires only three be removed. I think there may be at least 7 fasteners to remove the aeroplate under my TC and I must use small ramps. The Ranger will be much easier.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 02:46 AM   #88

Name: John
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21, 2002 Ford F250 7.3 Diesel 4x4
California
Registry
re: oil changes, I have the mityvac oil pump/cannister that holds like 6-8 quarts of dirty oil, for many of my vehicles, I can just stick the tube down the dipstick, and pump all the dirty oil out. this worked great on my older volvos and mercedes, and on the tacoma 4.0L v6

but on the ford 7.3, it did not get all the dirty oil, not even close. i think I';m going to get one of those oil plug valves, and i know I need a 3 gallon oil container

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote