looking at new TV Ford 2019 Ranger - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2018, 01:05 AM   #1

Name: Suzanne and Boe
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Smile looking at new TV Ford 2019 Ranger

Want to upgrade a little from a 2012 Colorado and looking at the new Ranger. We have a 17 ft Casita. I know there are very new but any member opinions or thoughts would be great!
Boe and Suzanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 06:17 AM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ger-83685.html

https://www.ranger5g.com/
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 07:10 AM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I would rather have a 2019 F150 than a first year Ranger. The fuel economy is similar, tow ratings will be better, aftermarket stuff is plentiful, is there much difference in price?

In the end, I'd probably get a 2017 F150, get the new style, used for a lot less money.

Looks like the Ranger will be the category leader, better ratings than similar sized competitors. Ford has gone all in on trucks, so there is a lot of pressure for them to get it right.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 10:07 AM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
For towing, I suggest the 2WD with the electronic locker differential.
I have no use for the locker feature itself , but differential is a limited slip when the the locker is not engaged. Limited slip is better for towing and better for tires and better for general driving.

Everything else is subjective for style and features.
I'm getting the 2WD SuperCab XL-STX with the tow package.(7500#)

I think the Quad-Cab XLT will likely be the most popular.
The 2WD version is really best for those who tow on mostly pavement.

The 4WD version is really best for those who often go off pavement.
The Lariat will have really nice leather and lots of features.
List pricing goes from 25K-38K for 2WD.

I too love the F-150, but the Ranger is the right size for a capable everyday driver and for towing a Fiberglass trailer.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 11:02 AM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: Casita 17 SD
California
That super cab 6 ft bed 2019 Ranger is a nice looking rig. However I also would tend to lean to the F150 in the Diesel V6 over the Ranger. For towing. My brother in law recently got a Laramie 2018 F150 Diesel and he loves it, he tows a 25 ft stick trailer.
CasitaMiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 11:10 AM   #6

Name: Suzanne and Boe
Washington
Thanks all! Should have known there was an old thread about the Ranger somewhere. The size for use is the draw over the 150. I guess we just like little....
Boe and Suzanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:43 PM   #7

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
... The 2WD version is really best for those who tow on mostly pavement.

The 4WD version is really best for those who often go off pavement. ...

That depends on whether you believe in the Snow Fairy or not.
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:53 PM   #8

Name: G
Trailer: Damon
Alberta
Ford Ranger TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
I would rather have a 2019 F150 than a first year Ranger. The fuel economy is similar, tow ratings will be better, aftermarket stuff is plentiful, is there much difference in price?

In the end, I'd probably get a 2017 F150, get the new style, used for a lot less money.

Looks like the Ranger will be the category leader, better ratings than similar sized competitors. Ford has gone all in on trucks, so there is a lot of pressure for them to get it right.
The "new" Ranger has been around for years; it's only "new" to Canada/US markets. Probably the last design to come out of Ford Australia and sold world wide for the last few years. Unfortunately the working mans version will not be available north of the 49th.
workhorsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 01:04 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by minke View Post
That depends on whether you believe in the Snow Fairy or not.
I have lived with the Snow Fairyand drove 30 rural miles to work for many decades. I have never had any need for 4WD.

Facts being facts, 2WD is still a better tow vehicle.
I can't be convinced otherwise, but there are some who favor 4WD for towing.
Truth is it ain't really up to a vote.

BTW; If you have climate control under your trailer, why would you ever be anywhere near the Snow Fairy?
Old 12-17-2018, 01:38 PM   #10

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
Quote:
I have lived with the Snow Fairyand drove 30 rural miles to work for many decades. I have never had any need for 4WD.

Facts being facts, 2WD is still a better tow vehicle.
I can't be convinced otherwise, but there are some who favor 4WD for towing.
Truth is it ain't really up to a vote.

BTW; If you have climate control under your trailer, why would you ever be anywhere near the Snow Fairy?
I've no interest in convincing anyone of anything. Similarly, when locals announce that "I don't need no stinkin' snow tires ..." I don't try to convince them that the coefficient of friction exists and that they might care.

BTW, I also won't try to convince you that some people actually like the snow. If I chose to, merely as an exercise, I'd likely fail.

Voting to determine facts? Reminds me of a quote I like from Daniel Patrick Moynihan. It goes approximately "everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts".
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 02:10 PM   #11

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
I've no interest in convincing anyone of anything. Similarly, when locals announce that "I don't need no stinkin' snow tires ..." I don't try to convince them that the coefficient of friction exists and that they might care.
The thing is I've seen more 4WD and AWD vehicles ignore the basic premise that although all four wheels help with traction starting off from a stop, it does absolutely nothing more than 2WD to stop you. This is MUCH to their detriment!

I cut my teeth on rear-wheel drive vehicles in New England. Never needed 4WD. I used to joke that the front wheels on my 1979 VW Bus were snow rudders! The only time I even came close to getting stuck somewhere was when the temperature went above freezing and the ice-covered road I was on became a friction-less surface. 4WD or AWD would have been just as useless as 2WD. I had to use gas from a jerry-can to melt dirt from an exposed bank to put on the road so I could get traction. I also have never owned studded snow tires.

The only reason I have an AWD vehicle now is price, availability and towing capacity. My first choice vehicle was unavailable and I was in a situation where I could not wait for one to become available.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 02:17 PM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:

BTW, I also won't try to convince you that some people actually like the snow. If I chose to, merely as an exercise, I'd likely fail.[/FONT]
We are currently experiencing an extreme heat wave - temps in the mid to upper 30’s , the snow is melting and the lake ice is deteriorating
We like winter , snow and ice . If this keeps up our grandkids will not have a white Christmas and that will break their hearts .
We are praying for the return of winter with all its’ benefits and beauty!!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 03:22 PM   #13

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
Almost traded our 2004 Dakota on a new Ram last year, but felt they were much bigger than I like. Thought I would wait to see what the Ranger would be like when it came out.
I really thought that with a smaller, lighter, and more aerodynamic truck they could do a lot better than the MPG numbers I have seen so far. The 4 cyl Ranger's reported (23 21/26) are only 1 MPG better than the 2019 Ram V6 (22 20/25). From what I have seen, the turbo trucks do pretty good when driven mildly, but it seems the fuel consumption really goes up when towing in turbo mode, much more than a non-turbo truck.
Guess I'll wait at least a year until we see some feedback from new owners before deciding.
Maybe by then they will come out with a new Dakota or the Jeep pickup will be available.
Or maybe even Subaru will create a pickup based on the new Ascent.
Attached Thumbnails
Subaru concept truck.JPG  
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 03:24 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
The thing is I've seen more 4WD and AWD vehicles ignore the basic premise that although all four wheels help with traction starting off from a stop, it does absolutely nothing more than 2WD to stop you. This is MUCH to their detriment!

I cut my teeth on rear-wheel drive vehicles in New England. Never needed 4WD. I used to joke that the front wheels on my 1979 VW Bus were snow rudders! The only time I even came close to getting stuck somewhere was when the temperature went above freezing and the ice-covered road I was on became a friction-less surface. 4WD or AWD would have been just as useless as 2WD. I had to use gas from a jerry-can to melt dirt from an exposed bank to put on the road so I could get traction. I also have never owned studded snow tires.

The only reason I have an AWD vehicle now is price, availability and towing capacity. My first choice vehicle was unavailable and I was in a situation where I could not wait for one to become available.
The new Ranger has a 4WD system which is designed and suited for offroad use. AWD is quite a different thing, suited pretty much only for onroad use. When towing, it is best find a parking spot when road conditions require 4WD... whether you have it or not.

All who disagree can spend the extra $$$$, heck the locker alone costs over $500 and I'm buying it just to get limited slip.

$4000 for the 4WD option...ya gotta WANT it, Heck $30,000 for any new vehicle is like the $5 Ice cream cone at DQ which I can remember costing a Dime.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:23 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
Almost traded our 2004 Dakota on a new Ram last year, but felt they were much bigger than I like. Thought I would wait to see what the Ranger would be like when it came out.
I really thought that with a smaller, lighter, and more aerodynamic truck they could do a lot better than the MPG numbers I have seen so far. The 4 cyl Ranger's reported (23 21/26) are only 1 MPG better than the 2019 Ram V6 (22 20/25). From what I have seen, the turbo trucks do pretty good when driven mildly, but it seems the fuel consumption really goes up when towing in turbo mode, much more than a non-turbo truck.
Guess I'll wait at least a year until we see some feedback from new owners before deciding.
Maybe by then they will come out with a new Dakota or the Jeep pickup will be available.
Or maybe even Subaru will create a pickup based on the new Ascent.
Here's one example of the US version...

Old 12-17-2018, 08:21 PM   #16

Name: P
Washington
Not sure you can find much of a selection in two wheel drive pickups around here. I used four low to get my Casita into the shop building for the winter. It was backing uphill, the start was on wet grass where tires wanted to spin. I was glad to have it again last winter when I got caught in a nasty snowstorm, pulling a Uhaul trailer over a mountain pass. Didn't use 4 low, but crept up the pass in 4 high. It comes in handy sometimes. I do find myself wondering about a 2 wheel drive pickup because I no longer live where I have a shop to back the trailer into or have a nasty two track road to negotiate (also up a hill) that was maintained or mostly not, by me. I have a 2011 Ranger that I hope will keep on going forever after seeing how much a pickup costs now. It seems to pull the Casita OK.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 10:17 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpat View Post
Not sure you can find much of a selection in two wheel drive pickups around here. I used four low to get my Casita into the shop building for the winter. It was backing uphill, the start was on wet grass where tires wanted to spin. I was glad to have it again last winter when I got caught in a nasty snowstorm, pulling a Uhaul trailer over a mountain pass. Didn't use 4 low, but crept up the pass in 4 high. It comes in handy sometimes. I do find myself wondering about a 2 wheel drive pickup because I no longer live where I have a shop to back the trailer into or have a nasty two track road to negotiate (also up a hill) that was maintained or mostly not, by me. I have a 2011 Ranger that I hope will keep on going forever after seeing how much a pickup costs now. It seems to pull the Casita OK.
Mine's 18YO/185,000, it looks and runs great, so maybe forever will be at least another ten years for yours. It has a limited slip which I installed after purchase. I have waited 50years of driving for 4WD to come in handy, it just has not happened for me.
Limited slip, however, has been worth every penny. Good tires are too.
Still, if the extra thousands in purchase and maintenance are worth it for some, they should spend it. I've already saved enough to buy a new truck just by not doing so.
If you spec a truck for towing, 4WD is not an advantage. It does have its place though. Kinda like a plasma cutter in my shop, just not needed enough to justify the cost.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:39 PM   #18

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Mine's 18YO/185,000, it looks and runs great, so maybe forever will be at least another ten years for yours. It has a limited slip which I installed after purchase. I have waited 50years of driving for 4WD to come in handy, it just has not happened for me.
Limited slip, however, has been worth every penny. Good tires are too.
Still, if the extra thousands in purchase and maintenance are worth it for some, they should spend it. I've already saved enough to buy a new truck just by not doing so.
If you spec a truck for towing, 4WD is not an advantage. It does have its place though. Kinda like a plasma cutter in my shop, just not needed enough to justify the cost.
I have an 18 year old Mercury Mountaineer, it runs great too, but the heater core has started leaking. Fogging the windows badly. It's an $850 bill to replace (7 hours labor). The truck is only worth maybe $1500 with a good heater core, so it makes me wonder if it's even worth keeping. I have given some thought to adding sealant pellets, but from what I've read it is hit-or-miss, and even if it plugs the hole it might plug some other things... and the fix tends to be temporary. Floyd, you're lucky you are handy and can repair stuff like that yourself; for the rest of us who aren't mechanically inclined, I'm not so sure it's a good idea to have vehicles that aged.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 04:45 AM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I have an 18 year old Mercury Mountaineer, it runs great too, but the heater core has started leaking. Fogging the windows badly. It's an $850 bill to replace (7 hours labor). The truck is only worth maybe $1500 with a good heater core, so it makes me wonder if it's even worth keeping.
Mike, your dilemma reminds me of something my Dad told me 50 years ago, "a few repairs once in a while is a lot cheaper than a monthly payment". If the rest of the truck is good for more years, I'd do it......
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:58 AM   #20

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
To throw another hat/truck into the ring have you considered the latest generation Colorado? In 2016 I bought the new Colorado with the mini Duramax Diesel. I had followed it's development in the auto news for a couple years prior to production. We tend to travel multi thousands of miles on our trips so a diesel with the far better mileage was of upmost importance. I'm already pushing 70k on it and I absolutely love the truck. The diesel does indeed get great mileage between 28-32 hwy while not towing and 23-26 everyday driving. Towing my Oxygen I get 23 but towing my Bigfoot 17 I was getting 13-15. Unfortunately diesel has been running 30 cents a gallon higher than regular, the DEF isn't cheap and is added fairly often, the filters and special Dexos 2 oil are ridiculously expensive. All in all the cost savings of having a diesel have been minimal. I did tow a 25' stick built trailer with 2 slides from Eastern Washington to Las Vegas and the truck did fine (towing capacity 7700lbs). I do have 4x4 and do use it. I went for years with only 2wd and got by but it is really nice having the 4x4 for those occasions when it is really nice to have.

We love the Colorado so much that my wife wanted one. In 2017 I bought her a 2017 short bed 4x4 with the V6. We have yet to tow with it but I'm sure it would handle it just fine.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote