Looking for a tow vehicle for my Bonair Oxygen - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-31-2013, 12:35 PM   #15

Name: Paul
Trailer: Bonair
Ontario
Registry
Thank you Carol for your thoughtful advice based on your experience.

So let's say I change one thing; the tow vehicle. I am looking at a Toyota Highlander V6 with 5000 pounds towing capacity carrying a family of four and a Bonair Oxygen trailer. What do fiberglass RV owners think of this combination?

Old 10-31-2013, 01:19 PM   #16

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimjed View Post
Thank you Carol for your thoughtful advice based on your experience.

So let's say I change one thing; the tow vehicle. I am looking at a Toyota Highlander V6 with 5000 pounds towing capacity carrying a family of four and a Bonair Oxygen trailer. What do fiberglass RV owners think of this combination?
The Highlander is a great tow vehicle and there are a number of owners of the Highlander towing trailers heavier than your Oxygen (for example, there are several Escape 19' trailers being towed by the Highlander with no issues). This combination would work quite well for you.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:36 PM   #17

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
The Highlander also has a lot of space inside for the kids to grow into - trust me as the kids get older they want to bring more "Stuff". ;-)

It was/is at the top of my list after having looked around for the past couple of years as to what my options would be for a new tow vehicle especially if I had 3 passengers with me on my trips. I would be buying one as we speak if I was actually trading in my current vehicle, but I am not ( keeping it for another member of the family to use) so I have had to down scale my new car budget a little bit to a less practical family & city vehicle - a truck ;-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:30 PM   #18

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Consider a 2013 or 2014 Escape with ecoboost and the tow package. It will handle 3500#s and 350#s of tongue weight. Our ParkLiner hardly moves the rear end of the Escape down 1/2".

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd Escape 2L Ecoboost with 3500# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:50 PM   #19

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Paul, I saw one of the Can-AM VWs in Newfoundland pulling an Alto. I crawled underneath. It looked like they had added stiffening to the VW to allow the addition of a weight distribution system.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:54 PM   #20

Ontario
Registry
Norm, Wow! Interesting. Thanks for that piece of news. I wondered what they were planning to do to my vehicle to allow it to tow the 2700 pound Bambi. They quoted about $2000 to outfit my car to tow.

Interesting enough the Alto was another trailer my wife and I considered. Ultimately it became a question of need versus cost. The Altos are very nice but they are $30K with options. I saw a damaged one in Dundas, Ontario. It was hit in the corner by a truck on a recent trip to Alaska. Because the Alto is constructed of 8 pieces of aluminum (2 sheets sandwiching a core to create a structural piece) 1 for the floor, 2 for the sides, and 1 for the roof, the corner hit meant that 3 of the 4 primary pieces of the trailer were damaged - floor side and roof. Consequently, the insurance company wrote off the whole trailer. Seems to me that maybe a fiberglass trailer could have been repaired...
Old 10-31-2013, 03:58 PM   #21

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
I wondered what they were planning to do to my vehicle to allow it to tow the 2700 pound Bambi. .
Gezzz thats interesting - what I want to know is where did you/they find the 2700lb Bambi?????
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:43 PM   #22

Ontario
Registry
Sorry. Mixed up my trailers. The Bambi was 3500 pounds.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:51 PM   #23
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Hello. This is my first post in a forum.

I just purchased a Bonair Oxygen trailer.

I was planning to use a Hensley Cub articulating hitch to control trailer sway and use the weight distribution provided to level out my tow vehicle.

My question: Considering this, would a crossover or small SUV rated to tow 3500 / 4500 pounds with the proper tow prep equipment (tranny cooler, larger fan, etc.) be appropriate? I am looking at a Ford Flex, Ford Edge V6, Toyota Venza V6, RAV4 V6, Mazda CX-9 V6, Honda Pilot AWD V6.

Thanks in advance.
Good day grimjed. Luv the Oxygen. Saw one up in Collingwood Ontario a couple of months ago. The Cub too is a piece of art and is well worth the money when it comes to WD, safety and stability.

All of the vehicles you have listed are highly rated (based on past research) for the size and type of trailer like the Oxi. As far as a TV is concerned there are a number of articles on the Flex as it has the good wheelbase (118"), transmission gearing, power, low centre of gravilty, short rear overhang, and body integrity. It would be a very comfortable vehicle for a family to travel in.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:19 PM   #24

Name: Gene
Trailer: Scamp
North Dakota
Registry
The Chrysler Town & Country has a 3600lb capacity and get be had with a tow package that includes a leveler.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #25

Name: Co
Trailer: Bonair Oxygen
Ontario
I own an Oxygen and have towed it with my Hyundai Tucson without any problem. I did have a 7 pin electric brake controller installed. It handles beautifully on the road.

You can often find the maximum towing weight for your vehicle in your car manual, and there is usually a combined trailer+vehicle as well. I found this info in my manual, but I'm sure you can find it on the internet as well.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:39 PM   #26

Ontario
Registry
I finally decided on a tow vehicle and it turned out to be none of the vehicles I originally looked at. I decided on a Volkswagen Touareg TDI. Tows 7000 pounds with 610 pounds available on the hitch. Fuel economy for the diesel is good. 402 pound feet of torque should be able to get me up any mountain with the 2700 pound Oxygen. This seemed to be the best (safest) all round choice for us.

Thanks for all the replies. Here's a composite picture my wife put together:
http://sdrv.ms/1bDznUi
Old 11-20-2013, 03:56 PM   #27
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
grim.... thnxs for the update.

The T-reg is one of the most capble tow vehicles money can buy. Congratulations on the purchase.
Attached Thumbnails
t-reg bugg.jpg  
Old 11-20-2013, 04:56 PM   #28

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I'd skip the Hensley and get an Andersen w/d set up, the Touareg can handle the tongue weight, so sway would be a potential issue.Plus you will save about $3K on the hitch cost. Andersen 'No-Sway' Weight Distribution Hitch

Tags
oxygen