Looking for advice on a tug/tow combination. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2011, 08:34 PM   #21

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Yeah Karen, the weather has been unusually cool here in Oregon this year. But typically when I camp and need to level the trailer with the handcrank tongue jack... I get sweaty. That's okay when I'm ready for a cool beverage, but I can have that without the sweat!

Floyd I like your BAL stabilizers too!
Thanks; I narrowed the stronger ones, since they become an extra frame crossmember when installed...
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0008.JPG   DSCF0011.JPG  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:05 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen M View Post
I've thought about the 4x4 but they are more expensive and more $ to insure also. On paper they have about the same weight limit but I've noticed that a lot of people seem to tow with them.
Karen
Also, in general a 4x2 will give you a greater towing capacity, greater payload, be cheaper to buy, give you better gas mileage, and need fewer repairs. Unless you plan to drive a lot in snow and ice (which I doubt, living in East Texas), or boondock in primitive areas with bad roads, there isn't much reason for a 4x4.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:53 PM   #23

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
4x4

Another thought on 4x4s. We have a Honda CRV. It has on demand 4 wheel drive. When a front wheel slips the rear wheels kick in. We do drive a lot of dirt roads and over the last few years snow can be found practically anywhere sometime.

In 7 years we have probably not had the rear wheels kick in 7 times, but I know three occasions when it did save us from getting stuck. The nice part is that it does not effect normal mileage.

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:09 PM   #24

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We do drive a lot of dirt roads and over the last few years snow can be found practically anywhere sometime.

In 7 years we have probably not had the rear wheels kick in 7 times, but I know three occasions when it did save us from getting stuck. The nice part is that it does not effect normal mileage.
Norm
Since you do "a lot of dirt roads" I would agree that a 4x4 is a good idea for you. And you're right that the extra mpg isn't much. I just checked the Nissan Frontier and Honda CRV sites and the 4x2s are only rated at one mpg better than the 4x4s.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:25 PM   #25

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Possibly the 4x4 suspension is a little stiffer and may well not "sag" as much as 4x2 while towing, that was my reasoning. My 4x4 Frontier towed my 2700 # T@da without any w/d and everything was level.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:54 PM   #26

Trailer: Casita Patriot Standard
I'll probably end up with the 4x2. Don't need the extra expense and won't need ot often enough down this way. I do hope to get to see more of the country but it will primarily in the summer. I'm leaning toward smaller and lighter now and keeping an eye on those ads.

Thanks for all the input!

Karen
Karen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:47 PM   #27

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen M View Post
I'll probably end up with the 4x2. Don't need the extra expense and won't need ot often enough down this way. I do hope to get to see more of the country but it will primarily in the summer. I'm leaning toward smaller and lighter now and keeping an eye on those ads.

Thanks for all the input!

Karen
We live in an area where snow closes roads every winter and I drove 30miles one way on country roads back and forth to work for 35years and never had the need for the option of 4WD.
The added expense at purchase and in maintenance far exceeds any loss caused by it's absence.
4WD is a useful choice for farmers, extreme boondockers and off roaders, but hardly useful for those who use only paved roads.
For towing consider limited slip though if it is an option.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:06 PM   #28

Registry
I've been trying to think of the last time I was in a situation where four wheel drive would have been handy, and I finally remembered one. Actually, it was not only the last time, but the only time in my 65 years. In 1965 I was stuck on a muddy road on a Utah mountain. I had to get a tow to get out. Nowadays, I wouldn't have been on that road in the first place.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:24 PM   #29

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
There are different levels of 4 wheel drive. In the CRV it is presently on demand 4 wheel drive, when a front wheel slips it automatically engages. In 150,000 miles the only service required has been to change the fluid/

It's been rare when we've needed 4 wheel drive but it cost little to own and is nice when you're no where. In the CRV it's not for climbing boulders or extreme off roading.

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote