Looking for eggs... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2013, 06:05 AM   #1

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Looking for eggs...

We hauled our classic speed boat from south of Albany NY to SW of Rochester NY, a distance on interstates of about 235 miles each way over the weekend. The whole time on the road I was looking for eggs, but not surprised I didn't see any. They all seem to be in Canada, the west or the south US. Coming home yesterday, just past Utica, we ran into torrential downpours and heavy wind. (We later found out gusts were up to 80 mph, and I believe it.) We're in this heavy rain, going up hill, lots of traffic, many with flashers on, and ahead on the shoulder I see what looks through the haze to be a travel trailer. Just as we pass it, I see it's a Casita, maybe 13'. Looks like they maybe had a flat tire, or at least I hope that's all it was. I wanted to stop, but there was just no way I could reasonably and safely do it going uphill. So we did see one egg over 500 miles or so...

Guess it will be a while before we can get our own egg. We want a newer one, and are saving $ to pay cash, or mostly cash. Plus we need a new tow vehicle to do it. Too many things to do!

Hope y'all had a great weekend!

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:30 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
There was at least one along the way - My Escape 17B is parked in the driveway in Oswego.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:37 AM   #3

New York
Cool! We would like a 16' or 17' egg. Bed size is important, as our 12# dog seems to take a lot of bed space...

Actually we were never close to Oswego. We did 87 from home to Albany, then 90 out to 690 south of Rochester to Geneseo, then to Perry, where we stayed. We have been going to an antique outboard motor meet at the state boat launch at the SW end of Silver Lake for many years. My antique outboard is a '63 Merc 1000, an old, but great running 100 hp outboard on our '62 Power Cat 14T, a 300# tunnel hull speedboat. I'm building a newer motor for it now, a '70 Merc 1350, i.e., 135 hp. Along with remodeling the house, re-building my old hot rod, etc...

Frank
Old 06-03-2013, 09:45 AM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
The whole time on the road I was looking for eggs, but not surprised I didn't see any. They all seem to be in Canada, the west or the south US.
Frank
Frank the thing about eggs is they seem to like to stay invisible - if your looking for them you will never see them! Even in Canada or on the west coast a sighting of a fiberglass trailer on a short one or two day trip is a rare thing. I did about 10 hours of driving time on the US west coast this past week-end and didn't see a single other fiberglass trailer other than at my campground destination.

Even when heading to a fiberglass trailer meet that you know a 120 or more fiberglass trailers are attending you may only see one other on a 2-3 day trip on your way - more often than not you will run into them only when you stop at a campground on your way to the meet.

The most fiberglass trailers I have ever seen on the road while traveling funny enough was on a Nov/Dec trip to southern Cal and Arizona and that wasnt at or going to a trailer meet.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:04 AM   #5

New York
Interesting Carol. At least the majority of the ads I see for eggs are from Canada, the west and south US.

I see quite a view vintage tin cans like we used to have, but no teardrops this last trip either. I really don't understand why tin cans seem to have a lock on the market. Boat 'n RV Warehouse near where I live has livinlite trailers, and they're sorta cool, but they're "dingable" aluminum. I like my 51 year old fiberglass boat. Now I want a fiberglass travel trailer!

Frank
Old 06-03-2013, 11:03 AM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Well Frank those tin cans have a flasher personality due to the aluminum so they just like to be seen out on the town more than our more humble eggs
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
Cool! We would like a 16' or 17' egg. Bed size is important, as our 12# dog seems to take a lot of bed space...

Actually we were never close to Oswego. We did 87 from home to Albany, then 90 out to 690 south of Rochester to Geneseo, then to Perry, where we stayed. We have been going to an antique outboard motor meet at the state boat launch at the SW end of Silver Lake for many years. My antique outboard is a '63 Merc 1000, an old, but great running 100 hp outboard on our '62 Power Cat 14T, a 300# tunnel hull speedboat. I'm building a newer motor for it now, a '70 Merc 1350, i.e., 135 hp. Along with remodeling the house, re-building my old hot rod, etc...

Frank
Next time try the Seaway Trail - the 104 section west of Oswego is about 2 miles from my house. A much less boring way to get to Rochester & beyond!

I've been to Perry a number of times when camping at Letchworth State Park.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:12 PM   #8

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Well Frank those tin cans have a flasher personality due to the aluminum so they just like to be seen out on the town more than our more humble eggs
Ya know Carol, I really think eggs are easier to spot. they're so much smoother and aerodynamic, to me, they just stick out!

Frank