Name: Chris
Trailer: Scamp 16
New Hampshire
I wonder what the towing capacity is

Old 02-25-2014, 04:04 PM   #16

Name: Richard
Trailer: Casita
Massachusetts
I'm with Rabbit on this one. We have a 1999 Toyota 4Runner and it hauls our 16 ft Casita with little effort. We got it used for $2000.00 and it runs like a top.

Rick and Jessica.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:05 PM   #17

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
LOL I tend to agree with her! which is why I had the Outback.
Yeah, I can't say I'm in love with the Tribeca's looks either.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:58 PM   #18

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Can't believe anyone would dare to compare the Alfa to the Tribeca! Seriously! Even this little girl can see the wee difference in total style & no doubt driveability ! LOL
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:34 PM   #19

Name: A
Trailer: Escape
California
Another 4Runner supporter here -- great all-around vehicle.
If you want more luxury, checkout the Lexus (GX 460/470).
Old 02-25-2014, 05:45 PM   #20

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuyler1 View Post
I'll look into the Honda Pilot and CRV. I forgot how big the CRV has gotten over the years. I remember them being tiny.
I second Gage's suggestion of the Honda Pilot, assuming he meant the 4wd model that has the higher towing capacity of 4500 pounds. (2wd is limited to 2,000) Those are 2014 specs ( link), but I believe the car is same generation as previous model years so same numbers should apply. I particularly like the integrated hitch that comes standard with that vehicle.

The CRV, on the other hand, has had a stated mfr. "limit" of 1500 pounds since the 2003 model year link. I think that even the most casual "out-of-the-box" types would agree that 1200 pounds below your stated 2700 pound requirement is too much of a shortfall.

Side note:

There's a member here (Norm) that tows a Scamp 16 with a CRV, but the car is of the pre-2003 generation that had a 2,000 pound limit. Though not strictly adhering to that limit, he takes great pains to keep the weight down to levels below the comfort zone it sounds like you're looking for. And since you haven't weighed your trailer, I should also mention that Norm's Scamp 16 is an older model (1991), and likely to be lighter than your 2013.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:20 PM   #21

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
The LX470s are real sweet what with the genuine simulated elm burl plasticky cabin (love that word) overlays. Pricey new. Pricey used.

jack
Old 02-25-2014, 07:03 PM   #22

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Preemptive strike, Francesca?

Add the Toyota Venza and Nissan Pathfinder to the list of possibles. (The older, truck based Pathfinder)
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:00 PM   #23

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Preemptive strike, Francesca?

Add the Toyota Venza )
Have a friend who tows one of the original 17' Escapes with the Toyota Venza and is VERY happy with it. They do use a light equalizer hitch with it though.

Edit to add: when properly equipped from the factory it can have up to a 3500lb tow capacity or so I was told.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:54 PM   #24

Name: Gene
Trailer: Scamp
North Dakota
Registry
I have a Chrysler Town & Country mini van. It has a towing capacity of 3600lbs. The new ones have increased the horsepower. I think they have in the optional towing package a load leveler & sway control. Lots of room for "stuff" in the van if you lower all the Stow-n-Go seats. It pulls my 16' Casita with ease. I believe the towing package also includes a transmission cooler.

Trailer Sway Control+

Standard Trailer Sway Control+ determines if your trailer is swaying in a dangerous manner and helps to correct the situation. It recognizes when unique vehicle and/or trailer motion is occurring that isn’t caused by steering input. The system then applies brake pressure on alternating wheels and may adjust engine throttle to help eliminate the sway and maintain vehicle and trailer system stability.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:47 AM   #25

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Venza Towing Capacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Have a friend who tows one of the original 17' Escapes with the Toyota Venza and is VERY happy with it. They do use a light equalizer hitch with it though.

Edit to add: when properly equipped from the factory it can have up to a 3500lb tow capacity or so I was told.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
A funny thing happened to the Toyota Venza tow rating.

Up until 2013 it was up to 3500 lbs "when properly equipped".
For 2014 it is only 1000 lbs., the factory hitch is the smaller 1 1/4 drawbar, and they don't seem to offer a heavier towing package in the options list.

Here's a link:
Toyota Venza Interior, Exterior & Safety features
Old 02-26-2014, 10:39 AM   #26

Name: Chris
Trailer: Scamp 16
New Hampshire
Honda CRV: You're right about towing capacity. All models are 1,500lbs.

Toyota Venza: Ugly (sorry)

Chrysler Town & Country: No kids = no minivans

Honda Pilot: Higher on my price range for one with less than 30k miles. C&D didn't have anything nice to say about it back in 2011 other than it is the minivan of SUVs (see my comment above for how I would react to that). They appear to have addressed some of the complaints for 2012 but if my goal is to get down to $25k price point I'm looking on dealer lots at mostly 2011s. 2012s bump to $27k and 2013s are $30k+.

Hyundai Santa Fe LWB: The long wheel base Santa Fe (not the Sport model) looks promising as well but a quick check of dealer lots shows no pre-owned. A coworker mentioned her daughter got one after previously owning a CRV and she has been enjoying it.

Toyota Highlander: I think its just too big and I don't see the price lining up with my budget.

Toyota RAV4: Looks like new ones don't have the towing capacity and pre-owned ones are hard to come by. Couldn't find anything in dealer inventory.

Ford Escape: I did some more research on the 2013+ escape. Couldn't find any on dealer lots with the tow package but it appears any 2.0T comes with the transmission cooler. The tow package only adds the hitch (which I can get aftermarket), the 4-pin harness (I'll be using a 7-pin anyway), and some ECU modifications that use ABS to combat sway. There are no upgrades to suspension or cooling. So having one with a tow package is a nice-to-have but think I'd be fine choosing from dealer stock of non-tow package 2.0Ts.

Mazda CX-9: I have yet to find a bad review about this SUV. They claim it drives much smaller than it actually is (I can attest to that). Gas mileage is lagging a little behind and won't be as good as the Ford Escape for sure but everything else looks fine.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:19 AM   #27

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
A funny thing happened to the Toyota Venza tow rating.

Up until 2013 it was up to 3500 lbs "when properly equipped".
For 2014 it is only 1000 lbs., the factory hitch is the smaller 1 1/4 drawbar, and they don't seem to offer a heavier towing package in the options list.

Here's a link:
Toyota Venza Interior, Exterior & Safety features
Don't think Bob when I looked at them last year that the 4 cyl. LE you have linked to ever did have a 3500lb tow cap - seem to think it was always only 1000lbs - could be wrong on that though .

The XLE 6 cyl for 2014 still has the the 3500lb tow capacity when properly equipped.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:54 AM   #28

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuyler1 View Post
Requirements:
Towing capacity of 2,700 lbs or better
Mileage less than 30,000 (with a little factory warranty left over)
Price less than $30,000 (ideally around $25,000)
Room for a full size greyhound (wagons and suvs primarily since he won't sit on a backseat)
Desired features: Heated seats, leather, auto climate, keyless entry, bluetooth, fun to drive.
Nice to have: backup camera, nav
Non starters: Anything from GM or Jeep. Sorry but the build quality is simply not up to my standards.
Have you considered some of the minivans? I think I read you are not looking for any serious off road capability. I believe they meet your criteria. They have loads of space for storage and a dog. I tow a 13' scamp with a 2007 Honda Odyssey and have been very happy. With a tow package it is rated to 3500 lbs. I believe a number of people here tow with minivans and a number of the minivans offered can tow 3500lbs properly equipped.

Tags
eco