LOVE the 2016 Jeep Renegade but will it tow? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2016, 12:47 PM   #21

Name: Lori
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
I wouldn't do it! My daughter was going to buy one but after reading all the reviews on the transmissions going out on them without towing stuff she is not getting one. Sounds like they spend more time in the shop then you get to drive them from the reviews!
Loriski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 01:16 PM   #22

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
The Jeeps do have a higher repair rate than most other brands, but still the vast majority of people get good Jeeps that don't have problems. It's sort of like comparing 100:1 odds and 97:1 odds.

I've hung out on a Jeep forum for a while, and it seems that the most common Jeep problem is the electronics. The dashboard and the center stack's radio, climate control, etc are all run by a computer; it's overly complex and prone to glitches and probably susceptible to static electricity zaps.

If I were buying a new (or nearly new) Jeep, I would certainly buy the lifetime maximum care extended service contract.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 02:00 PM   #23

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
KenjiFox, Please note that Suzuki no longer exists. The maker "Suzuki" went out of business several years ago....the reason is unclear.

A certified mechanic once told me he considered the "Suzuki" to be a truly disposable automobile....in his opinion it was designed to be scraped about 60,000 miles or less.

The news that the company had departed the scene did not Suprise me.
Suzuki was never highly rated…

Top rated automakers: Toyota, Sabaru and Honda
Suzuki is still in the auto business, just not in North America. Weak sales combined with the 2008-09 recession drove them under, but the bigger reason is they never designed vehicles specifically for the NA market.

Some of their offerings were certainly forgettable, but they also made some good cars, just not adapted to American tastes. The Kizashi is a perfect example: good driving dynamics and reliability, a classy interior, stick shift and AWD options, but smaller inside and lacking a V6 option like the ubiquitous Camrys and Accords. Even the much-maligned Samurai remains a reliable and sought-after off-road utility vehicle in the right hands (and a popular RV toad). Problems came when young, inexperienced drivers with lead feet bought them for the cute-and-cheap factor, drove them like sports cars, and rolled them.

As to the new Jeep, I share others' concerns about reliability. On paper it looks like a good match for a small egg. A manually selectable transmission is a definite plus for towing. Nine speeds seems a bit over-the-top, but that's the trend these days, and you should be able to find the perfect ratio for most towing conditions. It won't be blast-up-the-mountain-in-the-fast-lane quick, but you probably shouldn't pull a trailer that way with any vehicle. If you're an early-adopter type, by all means give it a try. The rest of us will be watching.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 03:30 PM   #24
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Mike and Jon
I can offer nothing more than my experience. Like everything else it all could turn sour tomorrow but so far we have over 22,000 trouble free towing miles.
Our previous vehicle was a brand new 2010 V6 Ford Escape with the towing package. In the 4 years we owned it we never had a single year without a major repair. In that 4th year the engine blew halfway between Minnesota and Texas right after I had it thourghly checked out by a ford dealer (saving grace).Does that mean all Fords are that unreliable? Not to me and surely not to others. Just bad luck and a Friday car.
After we got our Cherokee 3 others appeared in our neighborhood and everyone seems as happy as I.
My advice is when you see one seek out the owner and ask about their experiences. Jeep has a deservibly bad reputation and it will be a long time yet before they change it in the minds of the general population.
I hope my experience is an indicator that they are turning the corner.....keep watching.
Sid
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 05:14 PM   #25

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
cherokee...

thanks Sid...if my Nitro ever blew up (knock on wood) I thought a TV like yours might be a good replacement....that 9 speed tranny sounds appealing because I love EVERYTHING about my Nitro except for the mileage (would not make a commuter car for sure...but I don't commute) the mileage should be no surprise as the thing weighs 5000lbs!

Dodge Nitros are truck based SUVs (body on frame and solid rear axle)...Jeep and Chrysler also badged the very same "truck" under different names.

The Nitro has a VERY tight turning radius (crank the wheel all the way over in a parking lot and the front wheels squeal on the pavement!) and that has come in real handy towing for getting in and out of tight places.

As a stand alone 4x4 it is very much "sure footed", never slipping a wheel.
Attached Thumbnails
sig6.jpg   sig3.jpg  

Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 05:41 AM   #26

Name: Kenji
Trailer: Scamp
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
KenjiFox, Please note that Suzuki no longer exists. The maker "Suzuki" went out of business several years ago....the reason is unclear.

A certified mechanic once told me he considered the "Suzuki" to be a truly disposable automobile....in his opinion it was designed to be scraped about 60,000 miles or less.

The news that the company had departed the scene did not Suprise me.
Suzuki was never highly rated.
It's a shame isn't it? This exact thought process is why they no longer sell cars here. They still sell motorcycles ATVs boat engines etc. etc. here though. Suzuki as a company is doing just fine, and America is the ONLY country they ended their automotive sales in.
It's Suzuki's fault, yes. But not that they made bad cars. It's that they were TERRIBLE at advertising them. Clearly that's the case, as you don't even realize how big Suzuki is. That a "certified mechanic" (What does that mean anyway? Do you mean an ASE certified mechanic? I doubt one would say such a thing.) Would make a comment like that only proves that the general awareness of the vehicles and manufacturer was terribly inaccurate or lacking.

Suzuki produces some of the best performing and most reliable engines and vehicles ever made. Yes, they still do so today. Most people know about the legendary GSXR 1000, a bike that held the title of best in the world for over a decade. Yet they don't even realize the same company made cars at all. That's the real issue.

My vehicle though branded as a Chevy tracker, is a Suzuki Vitara (Sidekick in the USA) and has a Suzuki engine designed to last 400,000 miles with basic oil changes. This is not a diesel, it's gasoline. Four. Hundred. Thousand. I'm half way there, and it has NEVER broken down, NEVER failed to start, NEVER left me stranded. I Can't say the same about either of my Jeeps, and they had less than half the miles and one was much newer.

I just tore the top end of the engine down to put a torque cam in it and the thing spec'd out like it was brand new. The original crosshatching was 100% intact on the cylinder walls, and there was literally no lip on the top edge built up from wear. But hey, it was scrap at 60k right?

Sometimes ignorance isn't bliss. America would have been well served with these vehicles. I enjoy having an indestructible vehicle that can get through anything from four foot deep water to right up the side of a mountain, that still gets 40 MPG.
The only modern car I will ever own is a Tesla at this point. I greatly dislike how failure prone new cars are.

Sorry for taking this topic rather off point, but hey I couldn't let that one go.

As for more input on the OPs question, I would avoid any car known to have trans issues for towing. That said, if you love the thing then go for it. Life is all about being happy in the end. Balancing the possibility of breakdown vs having the vehicle you actually WANT to drive is just another factor. Also those who have had issues may have just gotten faulty hardware. The good ones might last forever towing whatever you want.
KenjiFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:49 AM   #27

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Suzuki got caught up in the GM fiasco.
The GM credit company handled financing for Suzuki and with no financing availability Tha did the dealers in.
They could not recover in the USA for the cars.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:42 AM   #28

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
How did we go from seeking consul on the Jeep Renegade ( a FIAT 500 with a macho Jeep sheet metal coat) and its ability as a tow vehicle to an in depth analysis of the Suzuki Vitara/Tracker/Trax. The Suzuki compact SUV isn't even sold in North America. Suzuki makes fine outboard motors but they won't tow an egg !
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 03:29 PM   #29

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
How did we go from seeking consul on the Jeep Renegade ( a FIAT 500 with a macho Jeep sheet metal coat) and its ability as a tow vehicle to an in depth analysis of the Suzuki Vitara/Tracker/Trax. The Suzuki compact SUV isn't even sold in North America. Suzuki makes fine outboard motors but they won't tow an egg !
Kenji tows a 16' Scamp with one.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:44 AM   #30

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
....and Kenji's Suzuki relates to a Jeep made by FIAT in Italy...HOW ???

As far as the Suzuki (Vitara) an Internet inquiry revealed this vehicle is rated to tow 1,500 lbs.....is a Scamp 16footer that light fully loaded ??

As for the Jeep Renegade that has a towing capacity (with factory tow package) of 2,000 lbs according to Jeep's website.

Neither sound like strong tow vehicles.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 10:29 AM   #31

British Columbia
Registry
if that's not enough pulling power....

one could always go for a Fiat Ram instead.....Fiat makes pretty good trucks
Attached Thumbnails
fiat.jpg  
Old 03-29-2016, 10:47 AM   #32

British Columbia
Registry
or one of these....

Fiat Strada ....available 1.9L diesel.....

could be landing in the north america....maybe...
Attached Thumbnails
fiat2.jpg