Low Clearance - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-08-2012, 11:34 PM   #15

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
Hi Selina,
I just replaced the axle on my '84. The axle was near its end when I bought mine, thought I could wait another year, but I took the trailer down I-29 when I was going to vend at North Country Fiber Fair in Watertown SD. I think the bumpy concrete sections on the interstate did it in. First pic is at a rest area. Van is loaded with merchandise so is riding lower than normal as well.
Second pic was taken just after I had the axle replaced at the Scamp factory in Backus, MN. Lucky me, I live only 100 miles away from there and combined the replacement with a camping trip.
I replaced the old axle with one that can't accept trailer brakes. Folks here recommended I get the axle that has the brakes for extra stopping power, but I decided to go with the cheaper axle. FYI $310 for the axle and $130 to install.
It pulls much better. I don't have to use a scissors jack anymore to get the rear stabilizer jacks to deploy. And things don't shift and rattle around when I'm traveling down the road.
It doesn't have that cool low rider look anymore, but I don't have to worry about an axle breaking on a trip.
Attached Thumbnails
watertownaxle.jpg   gullaxle.jpg  

Old 11-09-2012, 01:37 AM   #16

Name: Selina
Trailer: 78 Scamp 13'
California
Awesome, thanks for sharing lil...I think it for the price it's a must. We bought a huge drop tow extension as we are towing with an FJ cruiser and the back end was practically scraping the ground. Thanks for everyone's inputs...I thought I had done my research on these trailers but it shows how little I know with all your helpful tips! Thx again!

Old 11-09-2012, 08:58 AM   #17

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTTRV View Post
I am working on a 13ft ECO which looks like a Boler. It sits very low. I am going to replace the axle. Axle will be 3500# adding springs 2000#. Replacing 13" wheels going to 14". It will be much higher than it is now.
Chuck,

It is possible to have too much spring. I went from a 2000# axle on my Trilllium 4500 to a 3500# axle. I now think I should have chosen a 2500# axle. I have dammaged my trailer just going over a bumpy rail crossing.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:42 AM   #18

Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
California
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Selena, how far are you from Bakersfield?
About a month ago I had the axle replaced on my Lil Bigfoot at a very reasonable price.

John
Old 11-09-2012, 12:51 PM   #19

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry J View Post
Selena, how far are you from Bakersfield?
About a month ago I had the axle replaced on my Lil Bigfoot at a very reasonable price.

John
Good to know John. I am in Torrance (south bay) so not too far from Bakerfield...about 2 1/2 hours I think. I do have a local guy here I found that I am to get a quote from today. I'll let you know if I need your guys name, might be worth the trip!

Thanks!!!
Old 11-09-2012, 03:48 PM   #20

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Selina, if your going to put a new axle on it give some consideration to getting the axle that has the brake flange on it if the one you currently have doesnt have it. You dont need to put the actual brakes on it if you dont want them, although they are always a good addition. Even if your current tow doesnt require brakes on the trailer many newer ones require them to be used on any trailer over a 1000lbs which in the future you decide to sell the trailer make it a lot more desirable in the market if brakes are easy to add. Not to mention if you should decide to change tows in the future.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:55 PM   #21

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I'm not as convinced as some that there's anything wrong with the axle- it might just be a matter of perspective. It doesn't look extraordinarily low to me when comparing it to Selina's position in the picture...
It's a little hard to tell by the picture angle whether the height's wrong- what's the measurement of the step up off the ground? Other Scamp owners could say if it's normal.

It'd be most helpful if you were to post a couple of straight-on pics of the wheels so we can see what if any gaposis there is. Also: what size tires are on it?

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:59 PM   #22

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17' Casita SD
Wisconsin
I bought a new Scamp in Feb. towed it home and scraped pulling into driveway. Bought a different, lower, hitch, to raise the back, then the front scraped. Luckily I have a small park next door and I just cut thru there and avoid the driveway. I've heard you can install wheels in the back to help it roll in those situations but I have my doubts it would work in my situation. So far I have been able to avoid those problems on the road :-)
Old 11-09-2012, 05:13 PM   #23

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyyyyguy View Post
I bought a new Scamp in Feb. towed it home and scraped pulling into driveway. Bought a different, lower, hitch, to raise the back, then the front scraped. Luckily I have a small park next door and I just cut thru there and avoid the driveway. I've heard you can install wheels in the back to help it roll in those situations but I have my doubts it would work in my situation. So far I have been able to avoid those problems on the road :-)
Is this your house?
Old 11-09-2012, 06:00 PM   #24

California
Here a few other pics so you can get a better idea. I'm not sure what size tires...small ones! LOL
I've owned this lil guy for approx 12 days now

Old 11-09-2012, 06:04 PM   #25

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selina187 View Post
Here a few other pics so you can get a better idea. I'm not sure what size tires...small ones! LOL
I've owned this lil guy for approx 12 days now

Old 11-09-2012, 07:29 PM   #26

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Looking at the pictures I think things look low,
You have been given some solid advice on how to check the axle and in doing so you will come to a decision to replace or not.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:42 PM   #27

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Here's my old axle that was worn out, notice how the arms leading to the hubs are actually UP (axle is upside down in picture).

Here's the new axle, to show the difference, the arms are 25* down.

If yours looks like the first, it probably needs replaced.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:51 PM   #28

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring
Looking at the pictures I think things look low,
You have been given some solid advice on how to check the axle and in doing so you will come to a decision to replace or not.
Agreed....I will investigate and report back. Thanks again everyone!!