Low Clearance - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2012, 06:45 PM   #1

Name: Selina
Trailer: 78 Scamp 13'
California
Low Clearance

Hi all. I am a first time owner of a FGT. We just purchased a 1978 Scamp and I was pretty shocked to see how low to the ground it is! I'm thinking it has something to do with the age, meaning that this has since been changed in the newer models. Does anyone know if #1 this can be modified by simply "flipping" the axel, which I have heard friends do with other non FGT. Or #2 If I have to buy new parts to lift the little guy higher off the ground. #3 if I do have to have a new axel installed, how pricey is this? Here is a pic. Any suggestions would be really appreciated!
Selina187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:49 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Your torsion axle could be shot. Do the tires rub on the upper part of the fender well especially when you hit a pothole? Give a good look at your tires and the inside of the fender well. If you jack it up does the wheel come down a really long ways?
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #3

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Welcome Selina! Glad you joined us! Congrat's on your new scamp. Yup it looks low............................. But certainly not the lowest I have ever seen. Your trailer looks like it's in pretty good shape for it's age.

I know people "flip" but I could also say that 30 something axel might be toast and a new one would lift it alot for you. But only way to know is to have the axel check out.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:53 PM   #4

California
Hi Darwin. Those are all really good questions that I can't answer! LOL. I don't think anything is rubbing on the fender well, at least I haven't felt it. I honestly didn't even think of something being broke, I just figured this was how this old guys were built, but now I'm a little worried....
Old 11-08-2012, 06:59 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selina187 View Post
Does anyone know if #1 this can be modified by simply "flipping" the axle, which I have heard friends do with other non FGT.
"Flipping the Axle" can only be done with leaf spring suspension that many Non-molded-fiberglass trailers have. Factory installation for them is "Spring Under" and "Flipping" puts it "Spring Over". Your Scamp has a Rubber Torsion Axle, which is totally different so you do not have that option.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:59 PM   #6

California
Ok so now I am def thinking I need to get this checked out! I'm so glad I asked, since we were planning on taking it out for it's first trip over Thanksgiving!

Robin, it's in pretty good shape for 35 years old! It does have a 6" crack in the fiberglass top front that we are going to repair, and it's missing a few misc parts, but it has good bones. The interior is in amazing shape....all original upholstery. The lady I bought it from has only had it for a year and she bought it from the original owers who were an older couple and hardly used it. Here is a few interior pics:

Old 11-08-2012, 07:00 PM   #7

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
"Flipping the Axle" can only be done with leaf spring suspension that many Non-molded-fiberglass trailers have. Factory installation for them is "Spring Under" and "Flipping" puts it "Spring Over". Your Scamp has a Rubber Torsion Axle, which is totally different so you do not have that option.
Ah good to know! Thanks Frederick!
Old 11-08-2012, 07:07 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Selina, just looking at the photo only it looks like as others have suggested the axle needs replacing and sadly that is pretty well the only way your going to get it lifted up a bit. If all is well with the axle you should have about a hand width clearance at the top of the tire.

Having said all that there are lots of people towing around old trailers in need of axles. just take it easy and watch the bumps! So its not something you need to do today. If you post a new thread with a title such as need a new axle in such and such California someone should be able to point you in the right direction. As far a cost goes I am going to guess at around $500.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:09 PM   #9

Registry
Sorry forgot to add - its a real cute trailer so get out and enjoy it for Thanksgiving!!
Old 11-08-2012, 07:10 PM   #10

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Selina, Not broke, just wore out. The torsion axle has rubber inside it and it compresses and flexes baxk on bumps and compresses when just setting and after years of compression it eventually stays there. Just look up in your fender wells to see if you can spot rubs and look at the tires to see if they look like something is rubbing and if things look OK or not bad, I would go ahead and use it this Thanksgiving. Just don't load it up with lots of weight. Load that stuff in the tow vehicle instead.

Also: Put someone inside and have them bounce over where the axle is and you stay outside and see if it bounces up and down. Bouncing up and down is a good thing, hitting rock bottom or no bounce at all is not.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:13 PM   #11

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Sorry forgot to add - its a real cute trailer so get out and enjoy it for Thanksgiving!!
Thanks so much Carol! I did drive it about 2 hours when I picked it up and it felt fine. While I have to go extremly slow over driveways and such, I didn't feel anything rubbing.

Thanks all for making me feel so welcome here! We are so excited about our first FGT!
Old 11-08-2012, 07:13 PM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Check this out.

Basically the rubber rods get smushed over decades of use.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:14 PM   #13

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Selina, Not broke, just wore out. The torsion axle has rubber inside it and it compresses and flexes baxk on bumps and compresses when just setting and after years of compression it eventually stays there. Just look up in your fender wells to see if you can spot rubs and look at the tires to see if they look like something is rubbing and if things look OK or not bad, I would go ahead and use it this Thanksgiving. Just don't load it up with lots of weight. Load that stuff in the tow vehicle instead.

Also: Put someone inside and have them bounce over where the axle is and you stay outside and see if it bounces up and down. Bouncing up and down is a good thing, hitting rock bottom or no bounce at all is not.
Great suggestions, thanks again Darwin!
Old 11-08-2012, 08:40 PM   #14

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
I am working on a 13ft ECO which looks like a Boler. It sits very low. I am going to replace the axle. Axle will be 3500# adding springs 2000#. Replacing 13" wheels going to 14". It will be much higher than it is now.
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:34 PM   #15

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
Hi Selina,
I just replaced the axle on my '84. The axle was near its end when I bought mine, thought I could wait another year, but I took the trailer down I-29 when I was going to vend at North Country Fiber Fair in Watertown SD. I think the bumpy concrete sections on the interstate did it in. First pic is at a rest area. Van is loaded with merchandise so is riding lower than normal as well.
Second pic was taken just after I had the axle replaced at the Scamp factory in Backus, MN. Lucky me, I live only 100 miles away from there and combined the replacement with a camping trip.
I replaced the old axle with one that can't accept trailer brakes. Folks here recommended I get the axle that has the brakes for extra stopping power, but I decided to go with the cheaper axle. FYI $310 for the axle and $130 to install.
It pulls much better. I don't have to use a scissors jack anymore to get the rear stabilizer jacks to deploy. And things don't shift and rattle around when I'm traveling down the road.
It doesn't have that cool low rider look anymore, but I don't have to worry about an axle breaking on a trip.
Attached Thumbnails
watertownaxle.jpg   gullaxle.jpg  

Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:37 AM   #16

California
Awesome, thanks for sharing lil...I think it for the price it's a must. We bought a huge drop tow extension as we are towing with an FJ cruiser and the back end was practically scraping the ground. Thanks for everyone's inputs...I thought I had done my research on these trailers but it shows how little I know with all your helpful tips! Thx again!
Old 11-09-2012, 08:58 AM   #17

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTTRV View Post
I am working on a 13ft ECO which looks like a Boler. It sits very low. I am going to replace the axle. Axle will be 3500# adding springs 2000#. Replacing 13" wheels going to 14". It will be much higher than it is now.
Chuck,

It is possible to have too much spring. I went from a 2000# axle on my Trilllium 4500 to a 3500# axle. I now think I should have chosen a 2500# axle. I have dammaged my trailer just going over a bumpy rail crossing.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:42 AM   #18

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Selena, how far are you from Bakersfield?
About a month ago I had the axle replaced on my Lil Bigfoot at a very reasonable price.

John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:51 PM   #19

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry J View Post
Selena, how far are you from Bakersfield?
About a month ago I had the axle replaced on my Lil Bigfoot at a very reasonable price.

John
Good to know John. I am in Torrance (south bay) so not too far from Bakerfield...about 2 1/2 hours I think. I do have a local guy here I found that I am to get a quote from today. I'll let you know if I need your guys name, might be worth the trip!

Thanks!!!
Old 11-09-2012, 03:48 PM   #20

Registry
Selina, if your going to put a new axle on it give some consideration to getting the axle that has the brake flange on it if the one you currently have doesnt have it. You dont need to put the actual brakes on it if you dont want them, although they are always a good addition. Even if your current tow doesnt require brakes on the trailer many newer ones require them to be used on any trailer over a 1000lbs which in the future you decide to sell the trailer make it a lot more desirable in the market if brakes are easy to add. Not to mention if you should decide to change tows in the future.