Old 08-28-2013, 03:34 PM   #15

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghaus View Post
So the vertical jack...does it bolt on or is this a welding project?
Many hitch couplers have 3 threaded bolt holes around the large hole for the fixed upright jack. It just bolts on with short 3/8" (13 threads per inch) bolts.

I had too much jack below the flange for my Compact Jr frame, so I bought 5" long bolts and 1/2" steel pipe to make 4" spacers to raise the jack so the bottom protrudes only 2" below the frame.
Attached Thumbnails
000_1518.jpg  

Old 08-28-2013, 03:46 PM   #16

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
...Have ...double jack, one each side, one with wheel and other not will solve your problem. This is my case...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG047.jpg  

Old 08-28-2013, 04:39 PM   #17

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Installing a vertical or A frame jack is what I'm going to do. I am usually alone and need something safe and easy to do at the end of a long dog agility weekend, and in all kinds of weather too. Thanks everyone! This forum is always SO helpful! So the vertical jack...does it bolt on or is this a welding project? Might just take it to the RV place and see about getting brakes installed at the same time...which is also on my to do list. Hoping my axle has the flange for them.
At tractor supply saw the tower jack with bolt holes, but I think they are intended to bolt to the plate with the hitch at the end. Triangle plate with hitch that drops onto trailer frame, those plates are typically welded on. And will often have the hole for the stand and the bolts.

I have it on my "maybe" list to replace the small plate 1 7/8 hitch that is stock with a 2 inch hitch that can take one of those tower jacks. Just has not percolated to "gonna do" list yet.

Side mount crank on tower would not need "space" to crank over the tongue the way the side mount jack with top crank does so there would be more space for battery, propane, or storage box.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:43 PM   #18

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Sometimes it's happens to me, where a campsite slopes down towards the back, that I can't get the front low enough to make things level. I carry an old scissor jack for that. In a pinch I've also used my truck's bottle jack. If you don't need the wiggle that a jack's wheel affords you, you could just cut the wheel off, that will improve clearance a bunch, and let you swing the jack down. Some swing down jacks have a foot pad instead of a wheel too.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:57 PM   #19

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
At tractor supply saw the tower jack with bolt holes, but I think they are intended to bolt to the plate with the hitch at the end. Triangle plate with hitch that drops onto trailer frame, those plates are typically welded on. And will often have the hole for the stand and the bolts.

I have it on my "maybe" list to replace the small plate 1 7/8 hitch that is stock with a 2 inch hitch that can take one of those tower jacks. Just has not percolated to "gonna do" list yet.

Side mount crank on tower would not need "space" to crank over the tongue the way the side mount jack with top crank does so there would be more space for battery, propane, or storage box.
Look again at the picture on my previous post.(Post#6 this thread) The hole at the front of the triangle was there already. [Scamp used it to attach their one piece safety chain.]
The back two holes are drilled through a piece of small angle iron welded across the gap to support the jack.
My Scamp came equipped with a 1-7/8" hitch which was not made to accept a vertical jack. This mod was simple and retained the 1-7/8" hitch.

Sometime after the fire the 13s did join the rest of the Scamp family with a 2" hitch.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:12 PM   #20

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
A simple scissor jack under the hitch ball of the TV will raise both enough to lower the trailer jack. Or alternatively lego blocks or similar under the TV wheels.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:23 PM   #21

Name: Roamin
Trailer: Scamp 13'
New Hampshire
Aha! A scissors jack is not what I thought it was! We have one of those, and hubby showed me how easy that option would be, so that is what I will do for now. He also brought home an A Frame jack to try, which we did, but we think it will hang down too low and maybe bump on the road going in and out of steep driveways etc. Turns out he had suggested the scissors jack right off, but I had said no, thinking he was talking about a big ol' FLOOR JACK! no way I'm gonna haul one of those around with me! ha ha ha Thanks everyone!!!!
Old 08-29-2013, 07:29 PM   #22

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Aha! A scissors jack is not what I thought it was! We have one of those, and hubby showed me how easy that option would be, so that is what I will do for now. He also brought home an A Frame jack to try, which we did, but we think it will hang down too low and maybe bump on the road going in and out of steep driveways etc. Turns out he had suggested the scissors jack right off, but I had said no, thinking he was talking about a big ol' FLOOR JACK! no way I'm gonna haul one of those around with me! ha ha ha Thanks everyone!!!!
You are probably correct about the front tongue jack which you bought. The one Scamp uses on the 13 has a shorter bottom section,(less jack below the attachment point) than the one used on the 16.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:24 PM   #23
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Wheels chocked, safety chains on, and make sure the scissor jack is strait. Putting the scissor jack on a board is also a good idea. You don't want the jack to slip, putting the tongue of the trailer on the ground....or your foot. Raz
Old 08-30-2013, 06:13 PM   #24

New Hampshire
Raz, the way I'm picturing this, I would only be using it while the camper is hitched to the vehicle, just to allow me enough clearance to swing the tongue jack either up or down. I only need about an inch more clearance. Am I missing something?
Old 08-30-2013, 10:15 PM   #25

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Raz, the way I'm picturing this, I would only be using it while the camper is hitched to the vehicle, just to allow me enough clearance to swing the tongue jack either up or down. I only need about an inch more clearance. Am I missing something?
How about unbolt just the wheel, then go get a smaller wheel to put in it's place?
Old 08-31-2013, 05:12 AM   #26
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:

No, you've got it. The ball keeps your trailer from moving back and forth. As you raise the tongue off the ball gravity can cause the trailer to roll. Unlike the tongue jack, the scissor jack is not attached to the trailer and could fall over. Chocks prevent this. I suspect you chock your wheels when disconnecting anyway. Raz
Old 08-31-2013, 06:23 AM   #27

New Hampshire
Hi, yes, I do chock. Alright thanks! I'm going to try this at home before taking the camper anywhere again.
Floyd: There is no wheel on it, just a flat foot. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:32 PM   #28

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Scamp has Arrived - Layout 7
Minnesota
Another comment on the two jack system...

I have a cargo trailer with a similar problem. I used TWO jacks to resolve the matter. On one side of the tongue I use a swivel up “trailer stand” with a wheel for moving the trailer around. It IS NOT adjustable up and down. On the opposite side of the tongue -- and using the same mounting bolts -- is a swivel up jack with only a foot plate. The trailer can be moved around or up to the TV then swing down the foot plate and swing up the wheel. A properly sized foot plate jack should allow you to adjust the hitch to the height you need.

Time to unhitch? Swing the foot plate down and jack the tongue up to clear the ball then lower the wheel, swing up the foot plate and wheel that trailer wherever you want it. And the trailer doesn't move until you put the wheel down.

Of course, if you had no need to move the trailer, you could get by with just the foot plate jack. And keep in mind that the jack stand is only rated for 400 pounds.

Trailer stand
Fulton Snap-Ring Swivel Marine Jack with Fixed Length - 400 lbs Fulton Trailer Jack F1410050149

This is the jack I have but they are hard to fine.
http://www209.pair.com/wwpotter/imag...20Jack%204.JPG

Northern Tool has this very similar unit.
Ultra-Tow Side-Wind Snap Ring Jack — 2000-Lb. Capacity, 11in.H to 21in.H, Model# 50001064 | Trailer Jacks| Northern Tool + Equipment

OR you could buy one with a wheel and swap it to a foot plate.

Hope this had some bearing on something in this thread.

Dan Jones