lowered hitch, tongue jack too low now - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #21

Name: Roamin’
Trailer: 2018 13’ Scamp Standard, formerly had a 2005 13’ Scamp standard
New Hampshire
Aha! A scissors jack is not what I thought it was! We have one of those, and hubby showed me how easy that option would be, so that is what I will do for now. He also brought home an A Frame jack to try, which we did, but we think it will hang down too low and maybe bump on the road going in and out of steep driveways etc. Turns out he had suggested the scissors jack right off, but I had said no, thinking he was talking about a big ol' FLOOR JACK! no way I'm gonna haul one of those around with me! ha ha ha Thanks everyone!!!!
DogHaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:29 PM   #22

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghaus View Post
Aha! A scissors jack is not what I thought it was! We have one of those, and hubby showed me how easy that option would be, so that is what I will do for now. He also brought home an A Frame jack to try, which we did, but we think it will hang down too low and maybe bump on the road going in and out of steep driveways etc. Turns out he had suggested the scissors jack right off, but I had said no, thinking he was talking about a big ol' FLOOR JACK! no way I'm gonna haul one of those around with me! ha ha ha Thanks everyone!!!!
You are probably correct about the front tongue jack which you bought. The one Scamp uses on the 13 has a shorter bottom section,(less jack below the attachment point) than the one used on the 16.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:24 PM   #23
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Wheels chocked, safety chains on, and make sure the scissor jack is strait. Putting the scissor jack on a board is also a good idea. You don't want the jack to slip, putting the tongue of the trailer on the ground....or your foot. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:13 PM   #24

New Hampshire
Raz, the way I'm picturing this, I would only be using it while the camper is hitched to the vehicle, just to allow me enough clearance to swing the tongue jack either up or down. I only need about an inch more clearance. Am I missing something?
Old 08-30-2013, 09:15 PM   #25

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Raz, the way I'm picturing this, I would only be using it while the camper is hitched to the vehicle, just to allow me enough clearance to swing the tongue jack either up or down. I only need about an inch more clearance. Am I missing something?
How about unbolt just the wheel, then go get a smaller wheel to put in it's place?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:12 AM   #26
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:

No, you've got it. The ball keeps your trailer from moving back and forth. As you raise the tongue off the ball gravity can cause the trailer to roll. Unlike the tongue jack, the scissor jack is not attached to the trailer and could fall over. Chocks prevent this. I suspect you chock your wheels when disconnecting anyway. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:23 AM   #27

New Hampshire
Hi, yes, I do chock. Alright thanks! I'm going to try this at home before taking the camper anywhere again.
Floyd: There is no wheel on it, just a flat foot. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:32 PM   #28

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Scamp has Arrived - Layout 7
Minnesota
Another comment on the two jack system...

I have a cargo trailer with a similar problem. I used TWO jacks to resolve the matter. On one side of the tongue I use a swivel up “trailer stand” with a wheel for moving the trailer around. It IS NOT adjustable up and down. On the opposite side of the tongue -- and using the same mounting bolts -- is a swivel up jack with only a foot plate. The trailer can be moved around or up to the TV then swing down the foot plate and swing up the wheel. A properly sized foot plate jack should allow you to adjust the hitch to the height you need.

Time to unhitch? Swing the foot plate down and jack the tongue up to clear the ball then lower the wheel, swing up the foot plate and wheel that trailer wherever you want it. And the trailer doesn't move until you put the wheel down.

Of course, if you had no need to move the trailer, you could get by with just the foot plate jack. And keep in mind that the jack stand is only rated for 400 pounds.

Trailer stand
Fulton Snap-Ring Swivel Marine Jack with Fixed Length - 400 lbs Fulton Trailer Jack F1410050149

This is the jack I have but they are hard to fine.
http://www209.pair.com/wwpotter/imag...20Jack%204.JPG

Northern Tool has this very similar unit.
Ultra-Tow Side-Wind Snap Ring Jack — 2000-Lb. Capacity, 11in.H to 21in.H, Model# 50001064 | Trailer Jacks| Northern Tool + Equipment

OR you could buy one with a wheel and swap it to a foot plate.

Hope this had some bearing on something in this thread.

Dan Jones
Dan Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:09 AM   #29

New Hampshire
Update: After using the scissors jack to assist a few times at different sites, I can say that it works but I'm not thrilled with it. On another thread someone mentioned an extra tall hitch ball. Found those on E Trailer, comes in 1" and 2" height. Hubby is concerned about strength with these, said something engineerey about being farther away from the point where it connects to the drawbar, so we are compromising and trying the 1" tall ball. I think that will be enough to make a big difference at most sites unless I sink into the ground (which does happen as I'm not usually at real campgrounds) so I'll still carry the scissors jack. Once again, this forum ROCKS!!
Old 03-13-2014, 06:15 AM   #30

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Raising the trailer to take care of a jack issue is wrong. On the first post on the this thread you mentioned reversing the stinger and having the trailer level. Keep the trailer level and deal with the jack issue separately. Raising the ball will impact your towing.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:27 AM   #31

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
lowered hitch, tongue jack too low now

I agree. If the jack is to long, just get a shorter jack. If it's ever too short, a block of wood, pile of dirt, or somebody's foot will work to get it off the hitch.

If you're intent on not replacing it for some reason, why not drive the tow vehicle up on some 2x8's, if an inch will get you by to swing the jack? It would take all of a minute to back up almost far enough, chuck a foot long 2x8 under each rear tire, and back onto them. Your setup is still stable, the jack comes down, no effort needed on your part.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:02 AM   #32

New Hampshire
Thanks for sticking with me on this saga. I believe that I will still have the trailer nose down slightly (1/2" at the point where the hitch rests on the ball) with the 1" lift ball. I did some measuring and took pics last spring. Dead level for the camper is 15" ground to top of ball. In 2011 and 2012 I was towing with a 2.25" lift drawbar and the top of the ball was at 17.5". Nose up by 2.5". In 2013 I was using a 2" drop drawbar and measured 13.5" to top of the ball, 1.5" down from level. I have not found a drawbar that is less than 2" drop, the next interval is a 3/4" rise. i tried that and the camper goes nose up again. I'm attempting to post a link to the pics ... it's post 31 in that thread. I appreciate the suggestion to back my vehicle onto some boards. I'm just not sure how much of a pain that will be when I am doing this by myself and on our uneven, grassed sites in any kind of weather.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post382299
Old 03-13-2014, 08:07 AM   #33

Pennsylvania
Registry
You can always buy an adjustable stinger, to get the correct height MaxxTow Adjustable-Height Ball Mount - 2" Hitch - 10" Drop, 8" Rise - 5,000 lbs MaxxTow Ball Mounts MT70067
Old 03-13-2014, 08:34 AM   #34

New Hampshire
I saw those adjustable ones, I don't think I have clearance for that with my tailgate. Thanks though. Do people think the 1" lift ball is a really bad idea if the trailer is still level or nose down?
Hitch Ball Standard Ball 2 Inch Diameter Ball High Rise Ball Balls | etrailer.com
Old 03-13-2014, 08:36 AM   #35

Pennsylvania
Registry
You can turn them over….they work in either direction.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:23 AM   #36

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
There is absolutely nothing wrong with running a Curtis or other ball with a 1 or 2" extended rise. In terms of leverage on the ball (your husband's concern), the 1" might be less of a worry than the 2" if indeed there was an increased probability of breakage due to the increased length of the shaft and the 1" would halve the 2" drop whereas the 2" would offset or cancel the 2" drop (essentially providing the same configuration as a strait stinger with no drop).

I can see why the extended shaft gives a finer increment of adjustment to a 2" drop stinger but I agree with previous opinions that you need to correct tongue jack problem by replacing with a jack of shorter dimension between bottom of retracted foot (or outer sleeve) and mounting flange. So long as you maintain the trailer level fore and aft or slightly down at the head, you can use any combination of ball and stinger that is available but you should NOT choose this arrangement for the purpose of improving the functionality of your tongue jack.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:27 AM   #37

New Hampshire
...well alright back to this jack thing... Pro Series Round, Snap-Ring Swivel Jack - Weld On - Topwind - 10" Lift - 2,000 lbs Pro Series Trailer Jack PS1401140303
I wonder if replacing my current swing up jack with a shorter one is really not as complicated as I thought..... could it possibly be done without welding a new plate onto the trailer after all?
Old 03-13-2014, 09:29 AM   #38

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I think that will be enough to make a big difference at most sites unless I sink into the ground (which does happen as I'm not usually at real campgrounds) so I'll still carry the scissors jack. Once again, this forum ROCKS!!
I would get a few stick on levels on the trailer to make sure it is in fact level and not tongue up rather than guessing. Keeping the trailer level while towing should take priority over getting the front tongue jack down.

You can buy a simple rubber tongue wheel block such as the one pictured below to prevent the wheel from sinking into the ground - or just put a leveling block down before dropping the wheel.

I have also used the levelling blocks under the tugs wheels in order to raise the rear of the tug up enough to swing the tongue jack out when dropping the trailer on a site where the entrance is very slopped . Have also used blocks under the tugs wheels to raise it to keep both it and the trailer level when I am doing a quick stop over and can't be bothered to do a full disconnect.
Attached Thumbnails
jockey wheel receiverr rubber-600x600.jpg  
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:33 AM   #39

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
...well alright back to this jack thing... Pro Series Round, Snap-Ring Swivel Jack - Weld On - Topwind - 10" Lift - 2,000 lbs Pro Series Trailer Jack PS1401140303
I wonder if replacing my current swing up jack with a shorter one is really not as complicated as I thought..... could it possibly be done without welding a new plate onto the trailer after all?
Yes it can - just measure the holes on the mounting plate and get a jack with the same measurements. Most of the brands sell jacks of different sizes and heights so you should be able to get one that matches but is a bit shorter than what you have.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:40 AM   #40

New Hampshire
Hi, thanks, I do use a level. I'm not guessing.
Just to be clear, are you saying that I should be able to install a new swingaway jack on the existing welded on mounting plate for my existing swingaway jack as long as I can find one with the same mounting hole pattern?