lowered hitch, tongue jack too low now - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-23-2014, 10:12 PM   #57

Name: Nate
Trailer: Scamp 13
Nevada
I think this was previously mentioned, but if not: a jack stand works for me. If the swing jack is too tall to swing down, I use the jack stand to un-hitch the trailer. I prefer the stability of the stand to the wheel on my swing jack as well. Adjustments can be made with the wheels chocked either by hand (lifting the tounge while somebody lowers the jack stand) or by placing a block of wood under the tongue, lowering the stand, and carefully tapping out the block with a mallet.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:41 PM   #58

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
sounds like this involves lifting, but for me with 3 bad discs in my back that is not possible. I prefer letting the mechanical devices do the work!

Old 05-06-2014, 07:25 PM   #59

Name: Roamin
Trailer: Scamp 13'
New Hampshire
new tongue jack installed!! Thanks everyone!

Hi, just a followup: I got a slightly shorter tongue jack from etrailer and we installed it tonight. It will give me almost an inch more clearance for swinging down the jack. I also bought the 1" highrise hitch ball which we will put on probably tomorrow. This will give me plenty of clearance, I shouldn't have to use the scissors jack anymore, and the camper should now ride level if my calculations are correct. The jack install was very simple, we just removed the snap ring from the old and new jacks, cleaned the rust off of the mounting plate, swapped the jacks, and reinstalled the snap ring. The only problem we had was that the snap ring tool was not quite large enough for the extra large snap ring on the jack, but my hubby figured it out somehow.
Thanks everyone!
Attached Thumbnails
101_0667.jpg  
Old 05-06-2014, 08:07 PM   #60

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
They are quite a snap ring aren't they !!!