Mahindra diesel pickup - Page 13 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-18-2012, 02:02 PM   #169

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Good points, George. Case in point with the manufacturers dictating to improve their profitability is the new Ford Ranger. Available with two different diesel and one gas engine. Not available in North America, as they want to keep pushing their F150 which is a historical best seller. It is getting good reviews in Europe and Australia.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:02 PM   #170

Name: George
Trailer: Waiting for the Sprinter van and designing the converion modules.
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Good points, George. Case in point with the manufacturers dictating to improve their profitability is the new Ford Ranger. Available with two different diesel and one gas engine. Not available in North America, as they want to keep pushing their F150 which is a historical best seller. It is getting good reviews in Europe and Australia.
In this particular case I hope that GM will outsmart Ford and Dodge by continuing to have 2 truck styles, medium Colorado hopefully designed for MPG and large Silverado for loads and towing. If 2014 Colorado is going to bring their small diesel or even small gas engine their strategy could be successful.
Ford's strategic point of not jeopardizing their F150 sales with Ranger is very naive, someone else can, I hope GM will.
George.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:38 PM   #171

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeR View Post
In a pure capitalistic world the market often determines product direction. Not necessarily in the monopolistic world where companies dictate products to better their profits. .........
George.
George, there is no monopoly. Maybe in the 60's when GM had 50% of the market, but right now it is cut throat. You might have even noticed that little bump in the road for GM and Chrysler a couple of years ago.

Quote:
Jim, no body dictates to the customer in this market. People buy what they want to buy and not continuing to spend money on a profit losing line is called survival, not dictation.

Why don't you buy a Toyota, Nissan or Honda diesel pickup?
Old 12-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #172

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Jim, no body dictates to the customer in this market. People buy what they want to buy and not continuing to spend money on a profit losing line is called survival, not dictation.

They surely do. By choosing to not offer the Ranger here, Ford is definitely dictating what among their worldwide products I can purchase. This particular market segment we are talking about, is one that is lacking in across the board in NA, and we are not given options.

As soon as Toyota, Nissan and Honda offer this option, I will be checking them out. Nissan has had a great little 2.2 liter diesel for many years now, but not available in North America.

We are all held victim to some degree by the thought amongst a huge part of the population that bigger is better, and only in recent years have the NA auto consumers become more aware of fuel economy on the whole. I still know lots of people that have big Suburbans and pickups, that really don't need them. I have an F250 with a Powerstroke diesel that I use to pull construction trailers with that weigh up to 14,000 pounds. I am looking forward to the day I know longer need it, and can downsize.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:14 PM   #173

Name: George
Trailer: Waiting for the Sprinter van and designing the converion modules.
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
George, there is no monopoly. Maybe in the 60's when GM had 50% of the market, but right now it is cut throat. You might have even noticed that little bump in the road for GM and Chrysler a couple of years ago.

I was not talking about automotive companies’ monopoly, just oil companies. Driving diesel fuel price up will reduce market demand for diesels and automotive companies will not provide the product. Why oil companies don’t like diesels – because they would sell 30-40% less fuel. Do you have a link to US Toyota, Nissan or Honda diesel?

George.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:28 PM   #174

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
They surely do. ...........
I'm not going to get into a ****ing contest with you over this. I worked in the industry for 27 years and was involved in the decision making process. If you want to banter about words like dictate, monopoly, and victim, go head.

I'm done.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #175

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
We are really getting off topic and a little heated, let's try to remain cool and calm and to the point.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #176

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
As we get more and more efficient gas engines, like the ego-boost fords, and as emissions equipment continue their negative impact on the diesels ( as far as fuel mileage and operating costs ), the gap is narrowing. To say nothing of the current cost difference in the different fuels.

I'd be interested at looking at the Mahindra truck. I have looked over their tractors pretty closely, and have to admit, they look pretty good. Worldwide, they make a LOT of tractors, so for sure, they are not just some new kid on the block.

As for a diesel in a Nissan....the V6 is supposed to be pretty sweet. 400 ft-lbs in a Frontier is a pretty good combo. Their diesels were developed by Renault. Say what you want about the french company....but they do know a thing or two about turbo diesels.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:21 PM   #177

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I believe Renault provided the diesel for my 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD, turbo 4 cyl that pulled like a v-6. But the emission standards killed it.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:45 PM   #178

Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
US
Toyota now has a pick-up competitor
Volkswagen Amarok 2.0 TDI Review | Autocar
Old 12-18-2012, 10:12 PM   #179

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I believe Renault provided the diesel for my 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD, turbo 4 cyl that pulled like a v-6. But the emission standards killed it.
Actually, that engine was made by an Italian company called VM Motori. At the time, they were owned by DaimlerChrysler. Now they are owned by GM/Fiat. They've been making Diesel engines since the 1940s.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:42 PM   #180

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
Toyota now has a pick-up competitor
Volkswagen Amarok 2.0 TDI Review | Autocar
Yes, Toyota has competition from VW, in Europe.

The reality is that Toyota has competition from several other manufacturers, in every market. There's nothing special in that sense about Volkswagen, although it is a huge company and a force to be considered in any market they enter.

There is a fantasy that VW will sell the Amarok TDI in North America; however
  • Does any one know of any plausible report that the Amarok will ever be sold in North America? VWoA (Volkswagen of American, VW.com) doesn't even mention the Amarok in their website.
  • Is there any reason to expect that even if the Amarok were to be sold here, that it would be available as a diesel? Most vehicles which are sold here by manufacturers based elsewhere (and probably every commercial vehicle, pickup truck and practical sedan sold elsewhere) are available as a diesel elsewhere, but few of them are here. Remember all the misguided excitement about the VW Tiguan when it was about to come here? No, you can't buy a Tiguan TDI here.

The second point is the reason for this whole thread - the promise of a diesel for North America, in a vehicle which would otherwise be of no special interest, and which would be available routinely as a diesel in most of the world.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:05 PM   #181

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeR View Post
Somehow the rest of the World has more options on their markets such as gas, CNG, LPG, diesel, why not in the US?
You can get all those options... but consumers have demonstrated that they don't want them, or are at least unwilling to pay for them:
  • gas (gasoline)
    Obviously, gasoline vehicles are widely available
  • CNG (Compressed Natural Gas)
    There are lots of conversions available, and various models from compact sedans (Honda Civic) to light trucks are factory-available in CNG
    Very few are sold, other than to natural gas distribution utilities, perhaps because the initial cost is high, range is short, and refuelling stations are nearly non-existent
  • LPG (Liquid Petroleum Gas, a.k.a. propane)
    While rare to non-existent from the factory, aftermarket conversions are readily available... but pointless.
    Propane was used by most taxis, many tow trucks, and a significant number of private vehicles in the Edmonton area a quarter-century ago, because it was so cheap. Since then, prices have changed and propane is just as expensive (on cost per unit energy basis) as gasoline - even though propane is exempt from road taxes - and no one uses it any more. Perhaps the bulky tanks, inconvenient refuelling, need to keep another fuel system in place for starting in cold weather, and short range drove people away...
  • diesel
    While there is a lack of light pickup trucks currently available with diesel engines, there are diesel models of most vehicle types... and in every category, many (most in the case of everything but "one ton" pickup) buyers choose gasoline instead.

You can also buy vehicles to run any mix of gasoline and ethanol from straight gas to 85% ethanol (a.k.a E85), or a couple of vehicles to run on electricity.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:14 PM   #182

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
... the diesel for my 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD, turbo 4 cyl that pulled like a v-6. But the emission standards killed it.
Several Jeeps have featured diesels over the years. Yes, emission standards changed and the VM Motori engine in the Liberty didn't survive one of those changes, but changing regulations are reality for all types of engines. Emission regulations didn't kill the other diesels - just forced them to be updated - and are not to blame for Chrysler's choice to discontinue diesel engine availability in the Liberty.