Mahindra diesel pickup - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-23-2011, 07:56 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd
Over 4000lbs.... Wow! for a compact truck, that's a bit of a porker, hope it's heavy-duty and not just heavy!
Floyd, you must not be familiar with modern diesels. My Sprinter van has a 156hp CRD engine (2.7 liter 5 cylinder) and can drive through the hills of western PA at 85+ MPH all day long. I have had if loaded with over 6,000 pounds of cargo and it still wants to go fast. I kept the speed down, though.... Since I was a bit overloaded. Got 22 MPG on that particular trip, and that was using biodiesel, which reduces MPG slightly.

The torque is impressive. Not only does it have 243 pounds of torque, but it peaks at just 1,600 RPM and stays there through 2,500 RPM. It has a 6,000 pound towing capacity in the US. A bit higher abroad.
__________________

__________________
-Jesse
SOLD! - 1984 Scamp 13 in Maryland.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:52 AM   #16
Member
 
Gilles D's Avatar
 
Name: Gilles
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft 2001
Quebec
Posts: 65
My Jeep Liberty Diesel with a 2.8L TDI CRD got 200Hp and produce 364 pounds of torque at 2000rpm with a GDE Performance ECU tuning and it weight 4300 lbs! The same Jeep have a tow rating of 7500Lbs in Europe with the stock spec of 160Hp/295Lbs. Nothing can beat a diesel engine for economy and tow power

The Mahindra is a powerfull truck and yes he can tow 5000Lbs like a V8 gasser engine , the problem is having no service or support in the US for the moment.......... Sooooo dont old your breath for this one...<_<
__________________

__________________
Gilles D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:53 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Trailer:
Posts: 787
Here in Yurp, the favoured tow vehicle like this is the Mercedes Vito which squeezes the the same 200hp diesel into a minivan that's a much more convenient size (like a Mark I Voyager) than the Sprinter which has now become too big. A friend used to tow an 18ft multi-boat trailer with one and said it was happy at 90mph (when he knew the police weren't watching).
__________________
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:58 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Posts: 818
My class A diesel RV doesn't even have 200 horsepower... Almost, but not quite. It weighs around 15,000 pounds and still has a 5,000 pound tow rating, not to mention water, cargo, etc... And seating for 11!
__________________
-Jesse
SOLD! - 1984 Scamp 13 in Maryland.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:01 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Lizbeth's Avatar
 
Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Posts: 2,027
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles D View Post
The Mahindra is a powerfull truck and yes he can tow 5000Lbs like a V8 gasser engine , the problem is having no service or support in the US for the moment.......... Sooooo dont old your breath for this one...<_<
I was told that they might be serviced by the tractor dealerships in addition to where ever else they decide to sell them. Granted tractor dealer are few and far between in some areas like where we live in So Cal, the closest one is about 50 miles away.
__________________
1979 Boler B1300 | 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel | 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel | We officially have a collection!
Lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:18 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Greg H's Avatar
 
Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Posts: 1,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
I was told that they might be serviced by the tractor dealerships in addition to where ever else they decide to sell them. Granted tractor dealer are few and far between in some areas like where we live in So Cal, the closest one is about 50 miles away.
50 miles isn't bad for a tractor dealer, I'm sixty miles from a McDonalds, now that's bad.
__________________
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:31 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,049
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
Floyd, you must not be familiar with modern diesels. My Sprinter van has a 156hp CRD engine (2.7 liter 5 cylinder) and can drive through the hills of western PA at 85+ MPH all day long. I have had if loaded with over 6,000 pounds of cargo and it still wants to go fast. I kept the speed down, though.... Since I was a bit overloaded. Got 22 MPG on that particular trip, and that was using biodiesel, which reduces MPG slightly.

The torque is impressive. Not only does it have 243 pounds of torque, but it peaks at just 1,600 RPM and stays there through 2,500 RPM. It has a 6,000 pound towing capacity in the US. A bit higher abroad.
I made no comment about it's power, It's a compact truck and weighs almost a thousand pounds more than the average of it's competition.
I must admit that my familiarity with diesels is limited, I just retired from many years as a fleet mechanic with over 400 pieces of equipment to mind. Everything from lombardini light plants to 990 Cat payloaders, including a couple hundred light and medium trucks and Semis.
We had 2,3,4,6,8,&12 cylinder diesels in the fleet, both 2 & four stroke, plus stationary engines as well.
Your 5cyl is a great engine, too bad it has been replaced with a lesser 6.
__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:49 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
2yax2go's Avatar
 
Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Posts: 351
Registry
That little "chicken law" has been scooted around by Sprinter by bringing them in as "Passenger Vans" stripping them down and rebuilding as cargo vans with kits provided by the exporting company not 30 miles from where I live. Ford is doing the same thing with the Transit Connect.

I'm wondering if Mahindra & Mahindra hasn't renigged on their agreement with Global to take advantage of their already ongoing contracts with Navistar. Thereby, making Mahindra & Mahindra more money for themselves.

With the increase in sales in India, I think we will see an impressive increase in the projected price if they ever do hit the market here. It may be a great tug, but it could be pushed way out of this old gal's pockebtook.

Our local Toyota dealership was one of those who signed on with Global to be a dealer when they came stateside. We were excited we might actually get to test drive one without having to drive a million miles to do it. We were sort of hoping that they'd be well tested by the time we were ready to hit the road full-time in a couple of years and in need of a newer gently used tug. Now....who knows?

Reckon I'll keep researching the Sprinter's and Jeep Liberty Diesels for a while.
__________________


"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:37 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Name: George
Trailer: Waiting for the Sprinter van and designing the converion modules.
Oregon
Posts: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2yax2go View Post
That little "chicken law" has been scooted around by Sprinter by bringing them in as "Passenger Vans" stripping them down and rebuilding as cargo vans with kits provided by the exporting company not 30 miles from where I live. Ford is doing the same thing with the Transit Connect.

I'm wondering if Mahindra & Mahindra hasn't renigged on their agreement with Global to take advantage of their already ongoing contracts with Navistar. Thereby, making Mahindra & Mahindra more money for themselves.

With the increase in sales in India, I think we will see an impressive increase in the projected price if they ever do hit the market here. It may be a great tug, but it could be pushed way out of this old gal's pockebtook.

Our local Toyota dealership was one of those who signed on with Global to be a dealer when they came stateside. We were excited we might actually get to test drive one without having to drive a million miles to do it. We were sort of hoping that they'd be well tested by the time we were ready to hit the road full-time in a couple of years and in need of a newer gently used tug. Now....who knows?

Reckon I'll keep researching the Sprinter's and Jeep Liberty Diesels for a while.
I thought cargo vans have no windows, how do you remove windows and replace them with solid wall sheet metal with or without a chicken law. Please help me to understand your point.
George.
__________________
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:03 PM   #24
Member
 
Gilles D's Avatar
 
Name: Gilles
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft 2001
Quebec
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2yax2go View Post
Reckon I'll keep researching the Sprinter's and Jeep Liberty Diesels for a while.
Liberty owners have to be mecanic "Incline" because there is no VM motori expert working for Damler Chrysler in North America! Your best bet is a mecanic working on marine and tractor version of this engine in North America and some friend's on LostJeep forum. Owning a Liberty CRD is like owning a exotique car, some parts cost 3 to 4 times the price of gasser version. Just changing the timing belt is a $1000 job!

The Cherokee 2007 -2008 and Mercedes ML have the same 3L bluetec diesel engine but not the same electronic system ECU. The Mercedes got better mpg. Maintenance are expensive and it cost a "Leg and a arm" to buy one, put the BWM X5 and new VW Touareg diesel in the same bag...

I dont have a crystal ball and can't predict the first diesel half ton pickup to be sell in America, To many time we get false hope and crash and burn news...I dont old my breath anymore since CARB do a great job to kill this market ...Like GM have kill the EV-1 .....I can just speculate about a Mahindra 2WD with a price tag of $20,000 doing 30 mpg, it's look like a 3 generation behind Toyota but have no competition so they have a chance to do it righ...Time will tell.....
__________________
Gilles D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:19 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Name: George
Trailer: Waiting for the Sprinter van and designing the converion modules.
Oregon
Posts: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Z View Post
I am hoping this Mahindra diesel will get the attention of the three big automakers here in the US and come up with a "Ranger" size diesel............................................ ...........
Joe
I hope you are correct, but I am very doubtful that a small truck from India will sway automotive/fuel market forces in the US. If an excellent EU example (50% of all cars sold in EU are diesels) is not sufficient to disrupt the US love affair with gasoline then a little diesel from India will not. If we would follow the EU example of 50% diesels on our roads the fuel demand would be reduced by 15-20%. This would be a dramatic loss of revenues for some mighty entities.
Mr. Rudolf Diesel who invented diesel engines based his invention on vegetable oil. The diesel fuel made form crude oil was made years after Dieselís first invention. In the US there is a lot of talk about biodiesel; unfortunately, it is only a spin with such a minute number of diesel cars here (except big trucks). I am rather pessimistic of any serious penetration of diesel technology to the US. The Mahandra truck could meet the same fate as Mr. Rudolf Dieselís unexplained death in 1913.
George.
__________________
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:34 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeR
I thought cargo vans have no windows, how do you remove windows and replace them with solid wall sheet metal with or without a chicken law. Please help me to understand your point.
George.
Sprinter "wagons" (passenger versions) are brought over as-is. The cargo versions are fully assembled in Germany, then partially disassembled for export to the US. "Final" assembly (reassembly) is done here. I believe this is to avoid some import duties.
__________________
-Jesse
SOLD! - 1984 Scamp 13 in Maryland.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:50 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
Sprinter "wagons" (passenger versions) are brought over as-is. The cargo versions are fully assembled in Germany, then partially disassembled for export to the US. "Final" assembly (reassembly) is done here. I believe this is to avoid some import duties.
And.. so all the US mandated safety items can be added. For example all the glass. Check any car sold in the US for a tiny seal sandblasted into the corner. You can usually see it on the windshield, not so door window glass because it's below the window sill.
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:48 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D.
And.. so all the US mandated safety items can be added. For example all the glass. Check any car sold in the US for a tiny seal sandblasted into the corner. You can usually see it on the windshield, not so door window glass because it's below the window sill.
Donna, not sure about all vehicles these days, but I know that my VW and my Scion both entered this country with glass already installed. I know that the prep job on the VW was pretty simple. They remove the solar panel, remove paint protectors, install windshield wipers, license plate holders, and a few body plugs. All other safety items are on the vehicles when they get here, since they are made for the US market.
__________________

__________________
-Jesse
SOLD! - 1984 Scamp 13 in Maryland.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindra - New great tow vehicle? Alan Rh Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 46 04-29-2011 02:04 PM
Subaru Forester Diesel? Bobbie Mayer General Chat 11 03-07-2009 07:23 PM
Diesel cars and towing power Frank G. General Chat 4 03-04-2007 08:49 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.