Mahindra diesel pickup - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2011, 10:45 AM   #101

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
You can kill a Mack, they're owned by Volvo now.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:37 AM   #102

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
You can kill a Mack, they're owned by Volvo now.
What a shame...... for fleet owners you bought day cabs and could have different drivers in them all day long without any bad effects for local work. while they ran good over the road but a bumpy ride i preferred the Peterbilt's, Freightliners, Kenworth's etc. for the smoother ride and lets face it the "Prestige" too...... I wonder if Cummins and Cats are still US Made?____ I been retired now for a while.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:56 AM   #103

Indiana
Joe, Cat stopped building on road heavy engines in 09 because they couldn't meet the 2010 emissions. My 05 Kenworth had a Cat c-15 twin turbo, what a money pit. The Detroit series 60 in my opinion is the best engine on the road.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:36 PM   #104

I stopped driving in 03 because of a work related injury and have not been keeping up with the latest...... Detroits have come a long way since the old 238 and 318 days....I drove a few of the 60 series and they did a really good job actually gaining speed as you climbed a hill LOL
That Cat had to sound like a bucket of bolts when you started it but it was used by us to pull a lot of heavy machinery in an old Brockway with two Huskie's on the hood which was geared down to max out at 65mph w/15 spd Fuller..... If i remember right it had 433 gears.....Everybody walked away from me on the straight run but up in the mountains i quickly caught up.
Thanks for the walk back in time as i do miss it.
Joe
Old 05-02-2011, 01:07 PM   #105

Indiana
I kinda miss it too but after 23 years, I'm through with it.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:13 PM   #106

I got 30 years in and the one good thing is my donuts don't smell like diesel fuel anymore LOL...... I still give them the lights to get back in after they pass but most don't respond..... must be the new breed. Hope to meet up with you someday.
Joe
Old 05-02-2011, 01:45 PM   #107

Indiana
Joe most of the new breed can't even speak English.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:53 PM   #108

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Last fall coming back east from the west coast I must have had 2,000 trucks pass me and my guess is that about 50% responded to my lights.

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Z View Post
I got 30 years in and the one good thing is my donuts don't smell like diesel fuel anymore LOL...... I still give them the lights to get back in after they pass but most don't respond..... must be the new breed. Hope to meet up with you someday.
Joe
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:07 PM   #109

I hear you Bill..... Before giving the lights to come back in i wait for the driver to look into the passenger side mirror, so I know they see it.
I have to laugh because when we are going to pass a semi you will "Always" see the driver glance into the drivers side mirror to see if it's a girl or a guy coming up to pass them...... they are always looking for the "Seatcovers"......You never know what you will see (but that's a whole nother' story)
Wow are we getting off the Mahindra story but that sounds like a dead deal now
Joe
Old 03-12-2012, 10:14 AM   #110

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Mahindra / Ssangyong

Perhaps Mahindra will join forces with Ssangyong Motor Co. to get small diesel trucks in US. We will see.

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...ra-distributor

Ssangyong Motors Australia - Actyon Sports Ute

George.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:26 PM   #111

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Z View Post
I am hoping this Mahindra diesel will get the attention of the three big automakers here in the US and come up with a "Ranger" size diesel.From what i have read ford has a ranger diesel in Europe but not here for some reason?
Right now I am driving a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee with I-6 engine and really like it.... a diesel in that would be really nice but they discontinued it a few years back?
Joe
Ford used to sell a Ranger diesel. As I recall, you had to pop the clutch to make it through an intersection before the light changed back to red.

But seriously, there just hasn't been a market here for smaller diesels. Kinda like the Chevy Volt, you have a few die hard fans, but the actual sales volumes just don't pay the engineering and tooling costs.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:22 PM   #112

We all have personal biases if there is a market or not. Personally I believe there is a potential market for a 2l diesel small truck but is not being developed. Automotive press continually pumps us with; “remember seventies GM diesel disaster”, “diesels smell”, “they don’t accelerate 3 sec to 60”, “small diesels don’t exist” etc. Volt is not selling because it is too expensive and recently became a political whipping boy.
So, let’s make a small test:

1. Yes, I would buy 2l diesel truck to pull my F/G if money would be an issue ( $15K-25K) with towing MPG > 20.
2. No, I would not buy 2L diesel truck because it is a diesel.

Somehow the vote option did not came out after submit. Help?
Old 03-12-2012, 05:35 PM   #113

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeR View Post

1. Yes, I would buy 2l diesel truck to pull my F/G if money would be an issue ( $15K-25K) with towing MPG > 20.
2. No, I would not buy 2L diesel truck because it is a diesel.
Yes, and don't forget torque. I am considering a VW Passat TDI for tow power + mileage.

Don

The Don Pod
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:03 PM   #114

Indiana
I would love to have a small Diesel, but here in Indiana the price you see on the sign as you pass the truck stop is for exempt trucks only and the auto Diesel is more expensive because of the taxes.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:47 PM   #115

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
I would get a diesel in a second - no wait - I just did!

But I would NEVER ever, ever, ever! buy a tiny truck under ANY circumstances (and not even then!)

A full size Duramax is rated to get the same fuel mileage we are talking about here
(20 plus MPG) so why buy an "unknown" brand, just to get the same fuel consumption with less vehicle?
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:17 PM   #116

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Lacking 2012 E.P.A. Certification, Mahindra & Mahindra Trucks Are Longshots for U.S. Sales - NYTimes.comAlthough the Mahindra is basically a non-issue, I still find this thread really interesting as far as the diesel conversation.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #117

Indiana
Mahindra is not anymore unknown than your Isuzu, "Duramax".
Old 03-12-2012, 07:47 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
........................ But I would NEVER ever, ever, ever! buy a tiny truck under ANY circumstances (and not even then!) ....................
Allow me to phrase it in my words to make sure I understand you correctly, - you would not by a small, tiny, tin can truck even in after life; did I understand you correctly?
Old 03-12-2012, 08:05 PM   #119

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
I would get a diesel in a second - no wait - I just did!
I would like a half-ton diesel. No dually, please.

D*

The Don Pod
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:45 PM   #120

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
Mahindra is not anymore unknown than your Isuzu, "Duramax".

Hmmmm....

So in your view, a Mahindra which requires emeregncy service, in "small-town anywhere", USA would be as easy to get parts and service for as would a Chevrolet/GMC???
In your view Mahindra Dealerships would be as common as Chevrolet dealerships are, and parts would be in stock at every O'Reilly's?

Just curious
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote