Mahindra diesel pickup - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2011, 10:33 AM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul
SE Pennsylvania
Mahindra diesel pickup

Anyone know what the latest is on this truck?

Looks to me like an ideal tow vehicle. I am beginning to search for a new TV and I am quite intrigued by this truck.

Is this a completely new design or is it an "Americanized" version of an existing truck? A proven design is more attractive to me. A completely new design has more concerns.

Anyone able to see or drive one yet?

Craig T.
Craig D. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:05 AM   #2

Name: Francis
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 16' Deluxe
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig D. Thompson View Post
Anyone know what the latest is on this truck?

Looks to me like an ideal tow vehicle. I am beginning to search for a new TV and I am quite intrigued by this truck.

Is this a completely new design or is it an "Americanized" version of an existing truck? A proven design is more attractive to me. A completely new design has more concerns.

Anyone able to see or drive one yet?

Craig T.
Check it out:
Mahindra Clean Diesel Pickup Trucks and SUVs
fwickeham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:56 AM   #3

Name: Wayne
Trailer: actively shopping for a 5th wheel
Manitoba
Craig T,
Doesn't seem to be able to tow much 1.32 T x 2000 = 2640 lbs.
Never saw one or even seen one mentioned anywhere.

They sucked me in: I looked at the bottom figure saw the word hauled and took it for granted that that was what it would "haul" or pull..

Did you notice this (from Ken C's link) "Mahindra’s single-cab offering can also tow up to 1.38 tons" Yet in another area mentions 5000 lbs towing capacity.

I'm seem to be reading a lot of: maybes and what ifs from this. Like GM they have set the dates of release back again.

Question in my mind though is what kind of dealer network does it have?
N America had/has the CRD for several years now. Not to many dealers actually know how to service them correctly. My friend has a Sprinter motor home. He hasn't had any problems with it but after a couple of unsuccessful forays into big Dodge dealerships finally found a service manager that directed him to a dealership that routinely works on these and is very familiar with the idiosyncrasies of these particular diesels.

Wayne
Wayne Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:17 PM   #4

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Mahindra is made in India isn't it? They make utility and farm tractors.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:38 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Bob Luecke (DFWMahindra) on Twitter

Edit: better resource is here
http://mahindratruckforum.com/
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:38 PM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I've been following this truck for about three years now and the 2.2 liter Inline 4 diesel has about a 5000lb tow capacity. Fuel mileage is also way up there (about 30 mpg) .....after this diesel pickup comes out in the usa it is to be followed by a diesel hybrid in a few years.(40+mpg)
I am not purchasing a new truck right now but this pickup has a lot going for it in fuel economy and tow capacity....
Joe
DFW Mahindra Trucks SUV 4x4 Dealership Arlington Dallas Ft. Worth Texas India Home Page DFW Mahindra will sell the Mahindra Pickup Truck, also called the Mahindra Diesel, Mahindra Diesel Hybrid, Mahindra Hybrid, Mahindra Truck, Mahindra Trucks or Mah

mahindra diesel hybrid
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/02/11/m...ext-year-dies/
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:11 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
I have been following it too. I am signed up to test drive when they become available. They send me email updates occasionally.

From the website;
Mahindra Trucks are affordable, tough, power-packed, 100% guaranteed and deliver 30 MPG highway*.
Mahindra’s mid-size trucks and SUVs offer a blend of ruggedness, performance and affordability. They have the largest payload of any compact pickup truck (2,765 pounds)* and an estimated 5,000 pound towing capacity*.
Top it off with a 4-year 60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty and you’ll find that these babies are even more cost-efficient than the best hybrids and are brimming with uncompromising features.
30 MPG* • 4-WHEEL ABS BRAKES • UNIQUE STYLING • EXTRA LONG CARGO BED • ELECTRONIC STABILITY CONTROL • TRACTION CONTROL • ROLL-OVER MITIGATION • 6-SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION • AM/FM/CD/USB AUDIO SYSTEM
Forget everything you thought you knew about diesel engines.
Turbocharged Mahindra clean diesels provide a power-packed 30 miles per gallon creating benefits beyond any other vehicle in its class.
Mahindra’s common rail diesels are cleaner, quieter, greener and more efficient than ever. Our new generation of clean-burning diesels emit 97 percent fewer sulfur emissions than old-school diesels and virtually no sooty particulates. They produce 30 percent fewer greenhouse gases per mile than gasoline engines – while getting 20 to 40 percent better fuel mileage. And they do it all while maintaining the traditional diesel advantages of more torque and greater durability.

* Estimated — awaiting final test results
Old 01-21-2011, 07:56 PM   #8

Lizbeth
You have to give a report back when you do get to test it...... they keep putting off availability in the US.
Joe
Old 01-21-2011, 08:26 PM   #9

Trailer: 1980 Burro
With only 140 hp and 6945 pounds gross weight, it will be driving in the slow lane.

Andy
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:28 PM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Over 4000lbs.... Wow! for a compact truck, that's a bit of a porker, hope it's heavy-duty and not just heavy!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:44 PM   #11

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Cj...

Another delay from Mahandra, a quasi CJ. I wish to get hands on the real Wrangler with a Mahandra’s or Fiat’s diesel. Mahindra Delay Explained? New Pickup Model Coming | The Truth About Cars
George.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:12 AM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I hope they come out with an extended cab model with a six foot bed. I love my Ford F-150 extended cab. I don't like 2-door models and don't need a 4-door model with a short bed. And oh-by-the-way I want it in yellow please
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:20 AM   #13
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I too have been following this. The current trend in pickups is to make them bigger, heavier, and loaded up, Then they need an engine that gets 15-18 mpg. Our Frontier (all 4500 lbs of it) isn't any thriftier than a full size pickup. If you want 4wd , which is hard to live without here in the frozen north, the truck is going to be loaded. We couldn't even find a manual transmission. So I started looking at diesels. Unfortunately, the EPA, CARB and the chicken tax, for good or bad, could very well make a small efficient diesel pickup out of reach. If you are like me and never heard of the chicken tax, look it up. It makes for good reading. The VW Amarok is the one I'd like to see. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:23 AM   #14

I am hoping this Mahindra diesel will get the attention of the three big automakers here in the US and come up with a "Ranger" size diesel.From what i have read ford has a ranger diesel in Europe but not here for some reason?
Right now I am driving a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee with I-6 engine and really like it.... a diesel in that would be really nice but they discontinued it a few years back?
Joe
Old 01-23-2011, 07:56 AM   #15

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd
Over 4000lbs.... Wow! for a compact truck, that's a bit of a porker, hope it's heavy-duty and not just heavy!
Floyd, you must not be familiar with modern diesels. My Sprinter van has a 156hp CRD engine (2.7 liter 5 cylinder) and can drive through the hills of western PA at 85+ MPH all day long. I have had if loaded with over 6,000 pounds of cargo and it still wants to go fast. I kept the speed down, though.... Since I was a bit overloaded. Got 22 MPG on that particular trip, and that was using biodiesel, which reduces MPG slightly.

The torque is impressive. Not only does it have 243 pounds of torque, but it peaks at just 1,600 RPM and stays there through 2,500 RPM. It has a 6,000 pound towing capacity in the US. A bit higher abroad.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:52 AM   #16

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft 2001
My Jeep Liberty Diesel with a 2.8L TDI CRD got 200Hp and produce 364 pounds of torque at 2000rpm with a GDE Performance ECU tuning and it weight 4300 lbs! The same Jeep have a tow rating of 7500Lbs in Europe with the stock spec of 160Hp/295Lbs. Nothing can beat a diesel engine for economy and tow power

The Mahindra is a powerfull truck and yes he can tow 5000Lbs like a V8 gasser engine , the problem is having no service or support in the US for the moment.......... Sooooo dont old your breath for this one...<_<
Gilles D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:53 PM   #17

Trailer:
Here in Yurp, the favoured tow vehicle like this is the Mercedes Vito which squeezes the the same 200hp diesel into a minivan that's a much more convenient size (like a Mark I Voyager) than the Sprinter which has now become too big. A friend used to tow an 18ft multi-boat trailer with one and said it was happy at 90mph (when he knew the police weren't watching).
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:58 PM   #18

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
My class A diesel RV doesn't even have 200 horsepower... Almost, but not quite. It weighs around 15,000 pounds and still has a 5,000 pound tow rating, not to mention water, cargo, etc... And seating for 11!
Old 01-26-2011, 03:01 PM   #19

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles D View Post
The Mahindra is a powerfull truck and yes he can tow 5000Lbs like a V8 gasser engine , the problem is having no service or support in the US for the moment.......... Sooooo dont old your breath for this one...<_<
I was told that they might be serviced by the tractor dealerships in addition to where ever else they decide to sell them. Granted tractor dealer are few and far between in some areas like where we live in So Cal, the closest one is about 50 miles away.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:18 PM   #20

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
I was told that they might be serviced by the tractor dealerships in addition to where ever else they decide to sell them. Granted tractor dealer are few and far between in some areas like where we live in So Cal, the closest one is about 50 miles away.
50 miles isn't bad for a tractor dealer, I'm sixty miles from a McDonalds, now that's bad.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote