Mahindra - New great tow vehicle? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-10-2010, 05:29 PM   #15

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
Registry
Does anyone know if the Mihandra small truck diesel will have to meet the 2011 emissions requirement where UREA is injected into the exhaust stream to minimize NOx?

Old 01-10-2010, 06:40 PM   #16

Trailer: Casita
New River AZ
I have been following Mahindra for many years and while this truck looks like a toyota from the 70's If i needed a tow vehicle this diesel would be right up there...... If you wait one more year They (Mahindra) are promising a diesel hybrid with the same towing and hauling capacity. I will be watching this truck closely for any flaws. Mahindra like others said have been around a long time with great success in other countries.
I really wish a US owned company would come up with something like this.
Joe

Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 06:50 PM   #17

Name: George
Trailer: Waiting for the Sprinter van and designing the converion modules.
Oregon
Quote:
Does anyone know if the Mihandra small truck diesel will have to meet the 2011 emissions requirement where UREA is injected into the exhaust stream to minimize NOx?
Seems as yes, quick search “urea Mahindra” resulted with this interview [b]John_Perez_(JP)_CEO

[b]“PUTC: Going back to the latest technology - can you tell us more about the diesel technology you're using? Is it going to be fully Tier 2 Bin 5 (T2B5) compliant?

[b]JP: Our green diesels - yes, they are going to be fully T2B5 compliant.

[b]PUTC: For both particulates and NOX?

[b]JP: That's correct. Yes.

[b]PUTC: For nitrogen-oxides (NOX), how are you meeting T2B5? Are you using a urea selective catalytic reduction (SCR) solution or an adsorber catalyst [like Cummins uses for the 6.7-liter I6 in the Dodge Ram]?

[b]JP: We're using urea.

[b]PUTC: And the urea [NOX scrubbing] system will be ready by the time the trucks go on sale in 2009?

[b]JP: Yes.”

Old 01-10-2010, 07:57 PM   #18

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Mahindra already is being tested by G.M. as a product they would put their name on...I will not purchase until it has an extended cab.

Harry
Old 01-10-2010, 09:02 PM   #19

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
A person in another forum pointed out that way the bed sticks way out past the axles, the 4 door Mahindra would be terrible for pulling a fifth wheel. I asked if that would affect towing a trailer, but so far no answer. For me that makes the decision as to what model I get simple, but for some people I know that is a deal breaker.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:11 PM   #20

Quote:
If you wait one more year They (Mahindra) are promising a diesel hybrid with the same towing and hauling capacity.
As far as I can tell they are backing off of that one. The person in charge of creating the US version of the truck was previously in charge of developing the the Ford Escape Hybrid, so they do have the expertise
Old 01-10-2010, 09:57 PM   #21

Trailer: 2010 17 ft Escape B ('Cafe Egg')
Registry
Why oh why not here in the great US...

http://www.toyota.de/cars/new_cars/hilux/specs.aspx

A nice Toyota Hilux truck with the choice of two Diesel engines, each either with stick shift or automatic.... They CAN do it....
Old 01-10-2010, 10:05 PM   #22

Registry
BTW, 7.1L for 100km given for Hwy for the Hilux translates into 32.87 miles to the Gallon....
Old 01-10-2010, 10:36 PM   #23

Quote:
A nice Toyota Hilux truck with the choice of two Diesel engines, each either with stick shift or automatic.... They CAN do it....
I was excited translating the German to English, and assuming that "out of town" means highway it gets 33 mpg. But it costs $38,000 for a base model four door 4x4 and 5 speed manual. The cheapest automatic, albeit with a larger engine, costs $47,980, and going up much higher for a deluxe model. I am sure they would cost less in the US due to lower transportation costs and no VAT, so I am purely guessing at reducing the price by 15% in the US.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:39 PM   #24

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I just went to read the review linked to above, and from the outside it does remind me of my first Toyota pickup (HiLux). Good times

I was really sorry to read that they are not going to offer the manual transmission here. Okay, an automatic for those who want it, but.... no manual at all?

For now I also think the fit/finish interior issues would keep me away. Now granted, the HiLux was not a "luxury" truck, and much of the interior was the more old-fashioned painted metal, but... it fit together. When they moved to a more car-like interior, again it fit together nicely.

But maybe this truck will improve, and maybe it will spur other makers to compete.

Raya
Old 01-10-2010, 10:43 PM   #25

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
Why oh why not here in the great US...

http://www.toyota.de/cars/new_cars/hilux/specs.aspx

Oh, Gerda, I just noticed this. "Why not" indeed! Why can't we get the cool stuff?
Old 01-10-2010, 10:55 PM   #26

Registry
Alan, cars in general are more expensive in Germany! Alone due to a high sales tax of 19% (or is it even more now, I don't know).

Raya, Toyota offers all sorts of really cool cars and trucks over there!! Also really cute little Diesel cars, very economic ones. I must admit, I also really like the Ford F-150 trucks, but once again, why not DIESEL?? Arrrrgh...

I read somewhere in the forums about the Mahindra a funny post: It is not wanted because it has not 8000 horse power and because it goes further than 8 miles to the gallon....
Old 01-10-2010, 11:38 PM   #27

Quote:
Alan, cars in general are more expensive in Germany! Alone due to a high sales tax of 19% (or is it even more now, I don't know).
Very good. I should have looked before posting. Probably closer to 25% lower here in the US.

BTW - Patience with the F150. They are coming out with a 4.4 liter diesel. Considering past history, I am not optimistic they will favor gas mileage over pure power. But they might.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:17 AM   #28

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
A person in another forum pointed out that way the bed sticks way out past the axles, the 4 door Mahindra would be terrible for pulling a fifth wheel. I asked if that would affect towing a trailer, but so far no answer. For me that makes the decision as to what model I get simple, but for some people I know that is a deal breaker.
Hi: Alan Rh... If I had to have just one vehicle and it had to be able to tow our 5th. wh.
I would choose a 4dr. pickup. With our shortbox GMC we have just enough clearance to turn 90* but only carry 3 pass. and one has to sit on the center console/armrest. With the fifth wh. hitch located over the rear axle, most ext. cab trucks don't have enough clearance to turn.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie