max speed - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-10-2014, 10:48 PM   #15

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Just as an FYI, I have never talked to a tire manufacturer that limited their st tires to a max of 65mph. This includes goodyear, maxxis, Hercules, Carlisle, and gremax.

I've repeatedly mentioned this, but people choose to select their own truth. Contact your tire manufacturer if you want the real story. I'm not going to get into the rest of it, causes too much drama.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Old 09-10-2014, 10:52 PM   #16

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Then you better tell these guys that they are also incorrect.
Trailer Tire Facts & Information | Trailer Tire Applications | Discount Tire

Look under "Speed"

Old 09-10-2014, 11:00 PM   #17

Name: Andy
Trailer: U Haul
New Mexico
I saw "L" rated @ 70 mph & "N" @ 75 mph speed rating not load. I think they were range C

I have to wonder what U Hail based their 45 on. Maybe being under the 55 mph national limit?
Old 09-10-2014, 11:04 PM   #18

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
max speed

Idiots that can't load a trailer properly.

I saw one wagging the dog like you wouldn't believe, at 45-50mph. I pulled in for gas, and they pulled in when I was leaving. I commented on it, and they had no clue what was wrong. I asked them about loading...they put all the heavy stuff in the back so it was less work...to the point they had to stand on the hitch to hook it up. I said they needed to reload it, they couldn't be bothered. Off they went, on their cross country trip. I give it a 30% chance they made it there.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-11-2014, 02:29 AM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Ok, got to add on to Jarreds post, just not wagging the dog. We were at a hotel for the night and I saw a Uhaul box truck and a car trailer with a nice Charger on it in the parking lot. Later in that afternoon I saw two people walking around it and they opened the trunk. I walked over and struck up a conversation with the guy. Turned out he was a Marine and they were being transfered to a new base in California. The trailer they had had tall fenders and they couldn't open the doors to get in. The only way they could get the car off and on was going through the trunk. Perfect, Semper Fi
Old 09-11-2014, 06:47 AM   #20
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by renaissance1415 View Post
Does anyone know what the max speed is for a CT-13 re: the hubs and tires. I'll be pulling with an X5 (BMW) so pretty stable.
Good day Andy. Well I an truly envious about your X5 as a TV. I have driven them and know what you mean about stable.

I have followed them on other forums and they are top rated when it comes to drive and towing. When thinking about buying one I had many email talks with one of my online pals that has been towing with one for many years. They are one of the worlds most highly rated TV's.

Anyway, with any ST tire you need to keep your speed reasonable even with the X5 up front. Spewing trailer tire rubber all over the highway is not nice for the guy who is following you.

PS... Here is what my pal is towing with his X5. The X5 is very capable.
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2014, 09:24 AM   #21

New Mexico
I'm impressed.... I buying a U Haul Ct - 13 +- 1250#'s. I don't know I would have ever considered pulling a BIG Airstream.

Just a note for anyone considering an X5, buying used is a viable option. Mine(2004) new = $68K I bought 3 years ago $18K. The V8's have two issues. No one ever does proper trans services, so by 80-100K the trans fluid is getting nasty. Worst case new trans 5-7K . The engine has an internal coolant tube that the seal can go out. Repair 2.5-3 K. So for 8-10K you will have a reliable unit for many years, much less than you write off buying a new unit and driving off the lot, easily 10-15$$$$$.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:56 AM   #22

California
Over Spec Towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by renaissance1415 View Post
I'm impressed.... I buying a U Haul Ct - 13 +- 1250#'s. I don't know I would have ever considered pulling a BIG Airstream.
Don't be impressed, it just demonstrates that there are some in the world that consider themselves smarter than all of the automotive engineers at BMW (as well as at all of the other vehicle manufacturers). Stick with your original manufacturers specifications.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:49 AM   #23

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Speed "limit" laws in Michigan carry additional specification that speed must be consistent with road conditions, traffic and the general situation. I was once pulled over on a 10 speed bike for doing 20 something in a 35 mph zone during a rain storm. Long downhill and I was riding flat out. According to Mich. speed limit laws I could have been given a ticket. Especially since with wet brakes it took me a looong time to stop for the officer.

How fast and towing what with what on what kind of tire questions always boil down to what the individual decides they are comfortable with.

Choices have consequences and I think most folks (or at least forum members) try to weigh their choices with care. We ask questions and seek information. People give different weight to the various criteria, we have different skills and equipment, different comfort levels, and different overall philosophies so we arrive at different conclusions.

Whatever you decide is the right speed given your equipment and skills you are the one responsible for making it work or the consequences of failure. So the best advice is.... learn all you can from all the ideas politely and thoughtfully expressed here on the forum.

Me I would not be comfortable towing that airstream but I have no idea if it is a totally righteous set up that works great or should not be driven across the parking lot. Not my rig so not my problem or decision to make. Now if I was just going someplace local..... Hmm maybe?

And Jim I'm keeping my eyes on you
Old 09-11-2014, 12:21 PM   #24

California
Somehow I don't know how comfortable I would feel about Mr. or Ms. BMW owner (the one in the pic) sharing the road with me solely based on how he or she feels about what is safe....

When my decisions can have consequences for others, there is a much higher bar to consider.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:54 PM   #25

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
And Jim I'm keeping my eyes on you
I will be good now, Boss Man. I said everything that I know, so won't bother to keep repeating myself.....well, sometimes I do forget things I said though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:11 PM   #26

New Mexico
Just FWIW, X5's towing capacity = 6000#. Factory hitch rated at 5000# w/ 500 tongue weight. Aftermarket hitch Curt ..... 6000# and 600# tongue weight. I've heard lots of stories of people towing large RV's and boats. Just because it "will" do it doesn't mean it's safe.
I just wanted to make sure I didn't shred the tires or seize the hubs.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:22 PM   #27

California
Clip: "I just wanted to make sure I didn't shred the tires or seize the hubs."

Not to worry, you will have an opportunity to do that if the tires go overage or are overloaded, or IF the PM's aren't done on the BMW's chassis as per their very comprehensive (spelled $$$$$) PM program.

FWIW: From what I have read over the years, the Curt Hitch fan club is easy to get into, if only because it doesn't have that many members. You might want to check around..... , more than a few hereabouts have reported problems with welds & fit.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:11 PM   #28

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
.....well, sometimes I do forget things I said though.
I hate when that happens, fortunately I'm married so there is always someone to tell me I did or didn't say irrespective of my own feeble recollection.