max speed - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2014, 08:24 AM   #21

Name: Andy
Trailer: U Haul
New Mexico
I'm impressed.... I buying a U Haul Ct - 13 +- 1250#'s. I don't know I would have ever considered pulling a BIG Airstream.

Just a note for anyone considering an X5, buying used is a viable option. Mine(2004) new = $68K I bought 3 years ago $18K. The V8's have two issues. No one ever does proper trans services, so by 80-100K the trans fluid is getting nasty. Worst case new trans 5-7K . The engine has an internal coolant tube that the seal can go out. Repair 2.5-3 K. So for 8-10K you will have a reliable unit for many years, much less than you write off buying a new unit and driving off the lot, easily 10-15$$$$$.
renaissance1415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:56 AM   #22

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Over Spec Towing

Quote:
Originally Posted by renaissance1415 View Post
I'm impressed.... I buying a U Haul Ct - 13 +- 1250#'s. I don't know I would have ever considered pulling a BIG Airstream.
Don't be impressed, it just demonstrates that there are some in the world that consider themselves smarter than all of the automotive engineers at BMW (as well as at all of the other vehicle manufacturers). Stick with your original manufacturers specifications.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:49 AM   #23

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Speed "limit" laws in Michigan carry additional specification that speed must be consistent with road conditions, traffic and the general situation. I was once pulled over on a 10 speed bike for doing 20 something in a 35 mph zone during a rain storm. Long downhill and I was riding flat out. According to Mich. speed limit laws I could have been given a ticket. Especially since with wet brakes it took me a looong time to stop for the officer.

How fast and towing what with what on what kind of tire questions always boil down to what the individual decides they are comfortable with.

Choices have consequences and I think most folks (or at least forum members) try to weigh their choices with care. We ask questions and seek information. People give different weight to the various criteria, we have different skills and equipment, different comfort levels, and different overall philosophies so we arrive at different conclusions.

Whatever you decide is the right speed given your equipment and skills you are the one responsible for making it work or the consequences of failure. So the best advice is.... learn all you can from all the ideas politely and thoughtfully expressed here on the forum.

Me I would not be comfortable towing that airstream but I have no idea if it is a totally righteous set up that works great or should not be driven across the parking lot. Not my rig so not my problem or decision to make. Now if I was just going someplace local..... Hmm maybe?

And Jim I'm keeping my eyes on you
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 11:21 AM   #24

Somehow I don't know how comfortable I would feel about Mr. or Ms. BMW owner (the one in the pic) sharing the road with me solely based on how he or she feels about what is safe....

When my decisions can have consequences for others, there is a much higher bar to consider.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:54 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
And Jim I'm keeping my eyes on you
I will be good now, Boss Man. I said everything that I know, so won't bother to keep repeating myself.....well, sometimes I do forget things I said though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 01:11 PM   #26

Name: Andy
Trailer: U Haul
New Mexico
Just FWIW, X5's towing capacity = 6000#. Factory hitch rated at 5000# w/ 500 tongue weight. Aftermarket hitch Curt ..... 6000# and 600# tongue weight. I've heard lots of stories of people towing large RV's and boats. Just because it "will" do it doesn't mean it's safe.
I just wanted to make sure I didn't shred the tires or seize the hubs.
renaissance1415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:22 PM   #27

Clip: "I just wanted to make sure I didn't shred the tires or seize the hubs."

Not to worry, you will have an opportunity to do that if the tires go overage or are overloaded, or IF the PM's aren't done on the BMW's chassis as per their very comprehensive (spelled $$$$$) PM program.

FWIW: From what I have read over the years, the Curt Hitch fan club is easy to get into, if only because it doesn't have that many members. You might want to check around..... , more than a few hereabouts have reported problems with welds & fit.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:11 PM   #28

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
.....well, sometimes I do forget things I said though.
I hate when that happens, fortunately I'm married so there is always someone to tell me I did or didn't say irrespective of my own feeble recollection.
Old 09-11-2014, 03:38 PM   #29
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post

Me I would not be comfortable towing that airstream but I have no idea if it is a totally righteous set up that works great or should not be driven across the parking lot. Not my rig so not my problem or decision to make. Now if I was just going someplace local..... Hmm maybe?
Roger, I always appreciate and look forward to your comments.

To date the owner of the 2001 X5 still has it and is still towing the Airstream. Been everywhere with it. The X5 has had some minor issues of late but nothing serious. He also uses a high end Hensley hitch which is really icing on a very sweet cake. When travelling on the freeways he claims the only thing he is concerned with is falling asleep because it drives and handles so well.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 04:22 PM   #30

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by renaissance1415 View Post
Does anyone know what the max speed is for a CT-13 re: the hubs and tires. I'll be pulling with an X5 (BMW) so pretty stable.

I think we need to steer back to the OP's original question and move away from discussions about towing airstreams.

....RogerDat, and Jim, I'm watching you two, too ....er, also.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 04:39 PM   #31

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Back to the original question, Uhauls have a sealed bearing hub so they are not an issue. Only thing you can check on them is if there is any play or roughness when spinning the wheels.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 04:56 PM   #32

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
I think we need to steer back to the OP's original question and move away from discussions about towing airstreams.

Well the airstream was being towed by an X5 same as the OP was going to be towing with.... Which makes this waaay more relevant than some of our mental wonderings.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:04 PM   #33

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
Yes ma'am, I's be a good boy now.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 06:13 PM   #34

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Max Speed? Back on topic.

I'm cheap... the fastest speed I travel is the one that get's me the best fuel mileage. Yes time is IMPORTANT, but since I work for wages, keeping money in my pocket so I can spend it elsewhere is important to me. If I have to leave earlier, rather than drive faster, I do. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:20 PM   #35

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
I try to keep a moderate pace, but I sometimes find it very difficult to travel on the freeway and not keep up with traffic. Those Escape trailers tow so smoothly that it is easy to forget that it is there, and before you know it, you are sailing along keeping up with the 70 m/hr flow of rush hour traffic through Salt Lake City. Honestly, that was not me on July 26, just another FJ and Escape 19 that looked like us.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:52 PM   #36
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I think the speed record (142 mph) was set by a fiberglass-skinned trailer:

The Most Extreme Record-Breaking Caravans - Interesting Engineering

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:08 PM   #37

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
The guys at Top Gear tried to break the caravan towing speed record... windows started blowing out of the trailer at 124 mph but that didn't stop them for trying to go faster than that...

Top Gear Part 1 Fast Caravan
Top Gear Part 2 Fast Caravan
Top Gear Part 3 Fast Caravan
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 05:58 AM   #38
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Come on now folks. High speed trailer towing and breaking speed records?? Lets try to stay on topic.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:30 AM   #39

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I drive between 58 and 62 MPH in the right (Slow) lane whether I am towing or not . I did NOT drive fast when I was a young adult and I don't intend to drive any faster in my senior years . I am retired and getting there 15 minutes earlier does not motivate me but getting there in one piece with the best gas mileage possible does motivate me . The scenery along the way is as important and interesting to me as my destination
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:58 AM   #40

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I'm another retired slow poke. The sweet spot for the combination of my Escape 17 & RAV4 is 57 MPH. While I'll sometimes get up to the "breakneck" speed of 60 MPH on an interstate, I far prefer the secondary roads. Adding 5 MPH will drop the MPG by 3-4, and as Steve mentioned, the few minutes saved are not worth it.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote