max speed - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2014, 12:55 PM   #1

Name: Andy
Trailer: U Haul
New Mexico
max speed

Does anyone know what the max speed is for a CT-13 re: the hubs and tires. I'll be pulling with an X5 (BMW) so pretty stable.
renaissance1415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:01 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by renaissance1415 View Post
Does anyone know what the max speed is for a CT-13 re: the hubs and tires. I'll be pulling with an X5 (BMW) so pretty stable.
Maximum for ST tires is 65 mph. ST is the designation for trailer tires designed to be used on trailers. Other tires can cause problems. It is strongly suggested that 55mph to 60mph is your towing speed on the highway. This speed seems to be about the safest speed to travel. Plus the mpgs are helped by staying in that range.

You'll get some differing opinions on this site.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:17 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Of course that's assuming that a) The hubs and bearings were recently inspected and repacked and b) that the tires are properly inflated per the side wall information panel.

But more critical though is that the tires were inspected for date of manufacturer. If they are dated more than 5 years ago, 55 is about it, if more than 7 year ago, better stick with 25 so there isn't much damage when they blow out on the way home.

Tire age is a very serious issue with trailer tires, especially in hot sunny climes.
Here's a link for reading tire age numbers: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=11

And some tips about trailer tires:
Trailer Tire Facts & Information | Trailer Tire Applications | Discount Tire

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:44 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
if you cross the California line the limit it 55 mph towing a trailer. Doesn't matter what you tow it with.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 01:54 PM   #5

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
For me there are three speed limits.

First the limits of the system. Generally ST tires have a maximum speed of 65 mph, actually stamped on the tire. There is some debate on the topic, where it has been stated that if you increase the cold pressure beyond the max suggested pressure of 50 psi you can drive faster.

Second, there are state speed limits for towing a trailer. Thirteen states have 55 mph as a maximum towing speed. My home state of NH is 55 mph. I believe this varies from 55 to 70 mph depending on the state.

Third, there are road conditions like high winds and inclement weather, both of which cause me to slow down. The behavior of trailers in strong side winds can be an issue.

There are many on the site who have had tire blowouts. Speed and temperature can be a factor in tire failure.

The faster you drive the more tire flexing per mile, the higher the tire temperature (and pressure). (Tires are continually changing shape as you drive, moving from flat at the bottom to circular.)

The hotter the weather the higher the tire temperature (and pressure).

My personal approach is tires at maximum cold pressure, follow speed limits, tire limits and local speed limits and minimize heat of the day driving.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:58 PM   #6

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Third, there are road conditions like high winds and inclement weather, both of which cause me to slow down.
On many occasions I had to slow down to 20-25mph in a heavy rain condition (driving on 75mph speed limit interstate). Flashers turned on and try to stop on a shoulder if the shoulder width is safe enough to accommodate the car or the car/rig combo.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:04 PM   #7

New Mexico
speed limnits by state

nice info re: speed limits

Towing World Official Website
Old 09-10-2014, 05:11 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:

It didn't take long to find what I believe is an error. Washington State's towing speed limit law is the speed as for trucks Maximum 60 mph.

Word to wise, double check any site that provides this type of data.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:16 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:

A second error. Oregon Laws "Brake laws trailers" "not stated",,, Yes it is stated. It stated as brakes required for a trailer of x weight. It's stopping withing x feet when traveling at x mph. It doesn't matter towing or not. Don't be fooled.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:30 PM   #10

New Mexico
Good point.......
Old 09-10-2014, 07:08 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
First the limits of the system. Generally ST tires have a maximum speed of 65 mph, actually stamped on the tire. There is some debate on the topic, where it has been stated that if you increase the cold pressure beyond the max suggested pressure of 50 psi you can drive faster.
Norm, it is not if the tire is pressured beyond 50 psi, that would never be wise if that was the maximum rating, but only if you can raise the pressure by 10 psi above the recommended pressure for the rated maximum load, which is usually less than the 50 psi. If you can do this, then the allowed speed rating goes up to 65 mph.

Quote:
Special Trailer (ST) Tire Speed Ratings

Industry standards dictate tires with the ST designation are speed rated to 65 MPH (104 km/h) under normal inflation and load conditions.

However Goodyear Marathon and Power King Towmax STR tires featuring the ST size designation may be used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph (106 and 121 km/h) by increasing their cold inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) above the recommended pressure for the rated maximum load.
Do not exceed the wheel’s maximum rated pressure. If the maximum pressure for the wheel prohibits the increase of air pressure, then maximum speed must be restricted to 65 mph (104 km/h).

The cold inflation pressure must not exceed 10 psi (69 kPa) beyond the inflation specified for the maximum load of the tire.

Increasing the inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) does not provide any additional load carrying capacity.
Man, I can't believe I got into yet another tire speed rating discussion. I sure hope I don't have to moderate myself.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:57 PM   #12

Personally, I would want to stay out of the way of anyone that needs to tow faster than 65 MPH. And those that do, probably wouldn't pay any attention to cheesy tire speed specifications anyway... Burn,...

And wasn't it Marathon tires that had a higher than expected failure rate a while back???

Old 09-10-2014, 08:22 PM   #13

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Looking for Clarification

Jim,

I do not suggest pressuring the tires beyond 50 psi nor would I suggest driving faster than 65. I only point out the possibility because it always becomes a bone of contention on the site.

I guess I don't understand the rule. According to your statement

"by increasing their cold inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) above the recommended pressure for the rated maximum load."

It seems to me that the maximum load for a tire is achieved at the maximum pressure. Isn't the 'recommended pressure for rated maximum load at 50 psi?

I do know you should not exceed the pressure rating of the rim/wheel.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:58 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
It seems to me that the maximum load for a tire is achieved at the maximum pressure. Isn't the 'recommended pressure for rated maximum load at 50 psi?
Correct that maximum load is achieved at maximum pressure, but recommended pressure is based on trailer weight, and can often be well below 50 psi. If the recommended minimum pressure for your trailer weight, is 10 or more psi below 50, then by increasing at least 10 psi, you can use a maximum speed of 75 mph with them, if you wish.

If you look at the chart on the bottom page 9 of this Goodyear Tire Care Guide, you will see the recommended minimum inflation for various weights on their tires. Many of our trailers are so light, that we could be well under the max of 50 psi, and there usually room for 10 psi more to be added.

http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/tire-care-guide.pdf

I think the term recommended depends on who recommendation it is. Me, I always recommend that trailer tires be at maximum pressure, as I see no benefit to not, and lots to keeping it there.

Clear as mud?
I first had this explained to me by my cousin, who was the service manager at a large commercial tire shop, but I am a bit better at understanding, than explaining.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:48 PM   #15

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Just as an FYI, I have never talked to a tire manufacturer that limited their st tires to a max of 65mph. This includes goodyear, maxxis, Hercules, Carlisle, and gremax.

I've repeatedly mentioned this, but people choose to select their own truth. Contact your tire manufacturer if you want the real story. I'm not going to get into the rest of it, causes too much drama.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 09:52 PM   #16

Then you better tell these guys that they are also incorrect.
Trailer Tire Facts & Information | Trailer Tire Applications | Discount Tire

Look under "Speed"

Old 09-10-2014, 10:00 PM   #17

New Mexico
I saw "L" rated @ 70 mph & "N" @ 75 mph speed rating not load. I think they were range C

I have to wonder what U Hail based their 45 on. Maybe being under the 55 mph national limit?
Old 09-10-2014, 10:04 PM   #18

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
max speed

Idiots that can't load a trailer properly.

I saw one wagging the dog like you wouldn't believe, at 45-50mph. I pulled in for gas, and they pulled in when I was leaving. I commented on it, and they had no clue what was wrong. I asked them about loading...they put all the heavy stuff in the back so it was less work...to the point they had to stand on the hitch to hook it up. I said they needed to reload it, they couldn't be bothered. Off they went, on their cross country trip. I give it a 30% chance they made it there.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 01:29 AM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Ok, got to add on to Jarreds post, just not wagging the dog. We were at a hotel for the night and I saw a Uhaul box truck and a car trailer with a nice Charger on it in the parking lot. Later in that afternoon I saw two people walking around it and they opened the trunk. I walked over and struck up a conversation with the guy. Turned out he was a Marine and they were being transfered to a new base in California. The trailer they had had tall fenders and they couldn't open the doors to get in. The only way they could get the car off and on was going through the trunk. Perfect, Semper Fi
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 05:47 AM   #20
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Good day Andy. Well I an truly envious about your X5 as a TV. I have driven them and know what you mean about stable.

I have followed them on other forums and they are top rated when it comes to drive and towing. When thinking about buying one I had many email talks with one of my online pals that has been towing with one for many years. They are one of the worlds most highly rated TV's.

Anyway, with any ST tire you need to keep your speed reasonable even with the X5 up front. Spewing trailer tire rubber all over the highway is not nice for the guy who is following you.

PS... Here is what my pal is towing with his X5. The X5 is very capable.
Attached Images

MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote