MAXXIS Tires available: 175/80R13 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2016, 09:11 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
MAXXIS Tires available: 175/80R13

For anyone living in the Nashville, TN area, I know of two brand new Maxxis 175/80R13 Load Rating C tires available at the local Discount Tire store! Date code is "2316". Link to the store below. They're made in Thailand but Maxxis owns their factory, molds and does not have "another" company making their tires and putting their name on them. (This info can be found on a MAXXIS Tires article in the latest (Sept '16) Trailer Life magazine.)

Here's how that came about. I had been searching tires and settled on the Maxxis from their HIGH reviews (never found a negative other than a little pricey). I had called our Discount Tires store (DT) for pricing. $219 mounted/balanced/new valve stems. Before making the decision, I wanted to know the date code that would be on the tires. (Etrailer says theirs can be up to TWO yrs old!) I didnt get a call back. So to shorten this story, I wound up calling Maxxis and they highly recommended Real Deal Tires - Buy Tires Online - Leading Brands including Maxxis, Michelin, Kumho and BFGoodrich. Austin of RDT actually went to his warehouse, called me back the date of "2316" and I clicked the order button. $162.86 to my door which was yesterday. Was going to get my BiL at a local automotive repair to install them/balance etc.. $27

Yesterday morning, I had a voicemail stating my Maxxis tires were in at the local DT store!!?? I called and told him that I was still inquiring on the last call but did NOT tell them to order the tires and never got the promised return call so I ordered online. He was VERY apologetic about it. And what he did shocked me...but told me to bring HIM the tires/wheels and they would mount/balance for free and he DID! He wants my business and will get it! My wife actually took them and couldnt believe how nice they were and didnt make a dime off of us.

I called this morning and they still have the two MAXXIS tires and again the same date code as mine. So if someone around in the Tennessee/Alabama/KY area has a 13' trailer with 13" tires and wants a good deal on what I feel is the best tires, they're there. He said they would be there for a couple of days if someone calls and wants them! Otherwise, they will send them back.

Discount Tire Store in Spring Hill, TN | TNN-10

Also, there is another thread I had started last week about tires and include the link here. I show some pics of the treads and how these were ACTUALLY balanced! (Another story!) Also some interesting info on "ribs" that I found out about and post pics of. Click here to view that thread:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...s-76485-5.html
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:17 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Good news, Darral! I've also had generally good experiences at our local Discount Tire. Only problem is they are so busy!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:42 AM   #3

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Just got 2 Maxxis from Real Tire thru Ebay. $157 for 2, free shipping to Texas, ordered Sept.9 and delivered Sept. 13. Dated code 2316. They're going on the Compact Jr. Great deal.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:24 PM   #4

You're right Jon! But this round was a win-win. Spring Hill is about 15 min up the road for us with LOTS of shopping areas now. So I packed the wheels in the car and sent the wife to have them installed. She took advantage of the wait (a little over an hour) and did the lady-thing with some stores we dont have here. She was happy and so was I that all I did was have to load and unload them. Still waiting to install as I think I need to do a little maint. on the lugs before installing the wheels. Dont want no "galling"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Good news, Darral! I've also had generally good experiences at our local Discount Tire. Only problem is they are so busy!
Old 09-15-2016, 01:09 PM   #5

Name: Talia
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr.
USA
These the tires you're talking about?

Ratings, reviews and specifications for Maxxis M8008 ST Radial BS Trailer Tire tires
Talia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:19 PM   #6

Yes, those are the exact tires they have at DT's store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talia View Post
Old 09-16-2016, 02:52 PM   #7

Name: Talia
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr.
USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Yes, those are the exact tires they have at DT's store.
Sweet, thanks.
Talia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:19 PM   #8
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Our trailer came with Carlisle Radial Trail RH tires. At about 30k miles they were due for replacement. I bought the same tire. Now at 60k miles we are again looking for tires. Unfortunately Carlisle has discontinued the RH tire. After reading numerous tire threads and contacting several members, I decided to try the Maxxis 8008 tires. They arrived today from Discount Tire. Date code 2316. Cost $159.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170213_141423.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	102934

Might be a while before they get installed.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:36 PM   #9

You wont regret it. VERY nice tires with a super rating. I read a good article in "Trailer Life" before I bought mine and that helped sell them. The writer brought out interesting "facts" about the manufacturing of the tires.

I was getting negative comments about the newer Carlisles so I stayed away from them- even from distributors that carried them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Our trailer came with Carlisle Radial Trail RH tires. At about 30k miles they were due for replacement. I bought the same tire. Now at 60k miles we are again looking for tires. Unfortunately Carlisle has discontinued the RH tire. After reading numerous tire threads and contacting several members, I decided to try the Maxxis 8008 tires. They arrived today from Discount Tire. Date code 2316. Cost $159.

Might be a while before they get installed.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:54 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
It's amazing that these tire threads have so much traction, but never seem to get to a destination, or anywhere really.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:14 AM   #11
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
You wont regret it. VERY nice tires with a super rating.
I'm sure you're right. Every thing I read agrees.

Quote:
I was getting negative comments about the newer Carlisles so I stayed away from them- even from distributors that carried them!
I've gone through 3 sets of Carlisles, two on the Trillium and one set on my previous trailer. All good. Not one issue. If they still were making them, I would be on set number four. But I will let others find out if the new and improved version is really new and improved.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:21 AM   #12

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
It's amazing that these tire threads have so much traction, but never seem to get to a destination, or anywhere really.
Now that is an astute observation.....
Old 02-14-2017, 01:36 PM   #13

I've always had perfect service from DT and wouldn't think of going anyplace else for all my vehicles.
I bought tires for both my vehicles there to the tine of about $1600 and didn't blink an eye.
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 05:04 PM   #14
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Romas View Post
I've always had perfect service from DT and wouldn't think of going anyplace else for all my vehicles.
I bought tires for both my vehicles there to the tine of about $1600 and didn't blink an eye.
Unfortunately they have no locations in Vermont. For that matter, I'm not sure they have any locations in the northeast. Ordering online appears to be the only option.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:06 PM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I've dealt with Discount Tire once and once was more than enough for me .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires