Mazda CX-5, 2.5L Skyactive G - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2014, 02:57 PM   #21

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuyler1 View Post
I know I know. I can scour the internet and find photos of people hauling larger loads with this car. That doesn't make it safe. However it will certainly be safer than my current option which I only plan to continue to do for short trips to car-related events (where people appreciate seeing the old pickup).

I'd be most worried about the transmission. In fact, I was doing some research on the Mini Countryman today. I'd prefer a stick shift and Mini offers the Clubman with all the niceties, the more powerful engine, and all wheel drive with a manual transmission. Mazda only offers the base model. Of course Mini doesn't recommend towing at all with the car in the US but they rate it at 1000kg (with trailer brakes) in the UK. More research revealed owners are using them to tow upwards of 2,000lbs.

I don't know. I just don't want to drive a full size truck every day for the few weekends out of the year I'll be hauling a trailer. If rear sag is an issue I'm not opposed to installing adjustable shocks or something.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

What others are doing, what specfications apply to "European Versions" and how a Mazda Compares with a Ford are all non-starters in discussions about safe towing and towing ratings.

And installing heavy duty shocks/springs will also have no effect to the ratings.

As mentioned, ask your ins company about what will happen to your coverage if you have an accident while towing over limit. Better yet, ask a good atty. about the wisdom of doing same.

We may disagree with what some mfgs. set as towing limits, but it's what we got.....

FWIW: If I were to tell you that towing over limit is safe, you could then point a finger at me in court some day..... no thanks, I won't do that, and neither should anyone else.....

For this discussion, yer on your own...

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:54 PM   #22

Name: Chris
Trailer: Scamp 16
New Hampshire
I agree they are non-starters when talking about tow ratings. We can't change those, but I find value in discussing how those ratings are derived and whether safety is actually the primary concern.

There could be a strong argument (using the different models of the Ford Escape for example) that ratings are used to boost sales of larger motors and provide a cushion of safety for the warranty claims department. If the only difference between the higher rated version is horsepower and torque the rating seems to be more about what is preferred for towing, not what is safe for towing.

Now as far as the CX-5 is concerned. They don't have a version rated high enough to tow my trailer so there could be a number of reasons beyond horsepower and torque numbers. The final drive ratio according to cars.com is 4.62 while the Escape is 3.07. That probably means the CX-5 will be hunting for gears with a heavy load in tow. So even if the chassis is safe, the transmission could be prone to failure. If my assumptions about that are true, I most likely don't want a CX-5 right now.

...there are rumors of the CX-5 getting a Diesel in the near future. Last report claimed 2016 model year. Not sure I want to wait over a year to find out what those specs will be. I could always pick up a used Escape and drive it for a few years until Mazda gets their act together.
chuyler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:16 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
If you are looking used, a pre-2013 Toyota RAV4 with tow prep package is rated 3,500 lbs.
My 2008 Sport V6 has 269 hp. a larger radiator and alternator and transmission oil cooler. Hitch and wiring are extra.
In 2013 they dropped the V6 and lowered the rating to 1,500 lbs. and lost me as a potential customer. Luckily, I've only got 62,000 kilometers on it ( 38,500 miles ).
Old 02-19-2014, 06:07 PM   #24

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuyler1 View Post
I agree they are non-starters when talking about tow ratings. We can't change those, but I find value in discussing how those ratings are derived and whether safety is actually the primary concern.

There could be a strong argument (using the different models of the Ford Escape for example) that ratings are used to boost sales of larger motors and provide a cushion of safety for the warranty claims department. t
Is providing a cushion of safety to avoid warranty claims a bad thing? Me thinks its probable a good thing as once the vehicle is off warranty I am paying the repair bills and the fewer repairs I have to pay out of pocket the better!

There really isn't a great deal of value to this forum on speculating about how tow ratings at set. Which is what one is doing in discussing how tow ratings are derived. Unless we had a senior engineer from each auto manufacture who can tell us factually how each car is built and tested its all speculation. Nothing solid enough in my mind to be worth risking my safety, my passengers safety or those I share the road with.

Will be pretty darn happy when all the auto makers get back on board with the SAE J2807 the standard “Performance Requirements for Determining Tow-Vehicle Gross Combination Weight Rating and Trailer Weight Rating,” Really sorry they bail on it last year - but very happy to see one of the big ones bragging about using it on one of their vehicle ads this year! As expected that has resulted in a couple of the other big manufactures saying they will indeed be back onboard by 2015.... that is if you honestly think any of them actually stopped doing the testing anyways!

The SAE J2807 will hopefully once and for all end all the conspiracy theorist here as well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:17 AM   #25

Name: Chris
Trailer: Scamp 16
New Hampshire
The cushion of safety with warranty claims is definitely a good thing, but I'm trying to avoid over-buying for the 10-15 days out of the year I will be towing.

If it came down to "this vehicle was not rated higher because it is low on power and torque" I'd be willing to take that chance. If it came down to cooling system limitations, braking, and/or handling then its a completely different story for me. Anyway, I guess its not worth discussing, especially in this thread.

I came back here for a bit of an update. I've driven both the CX-5 and the CX-9 now. Although the 9 is significantly larger, it is probably a better fit for me. I can get a pre-owned one with similar options for around the price of a new CX-5. Gas mileage is 16/24 instead of 24/30 but other than that it seems like the best solution for me (if I go with Mazda) since it is rated at 3,500 lbs with tow package.
chuyler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:06 AM   #26

Name: daniel
Trailer: 13 Ford Escape SE 2.0 tow package 3500 lb.travel lite i17
Michigan
2013 Ford Escape 2.0 4WD Tow package 3500# no Fiberglass RV - ONEFORD's Album: 2013 ford Escape Travel Lite I17
ONEFORD is offline   Reply With Quote