Mirrors - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2008, 12:54 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Does anybody have any suggestions for trailer mirrors that would work on a Toyota Rav 4?

Thanks,

Greg
Greg Conly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:20 AM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
I've used these with reasonable success on a 2001 RAV4.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:28 AM   #3

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
the set of those that we tried on our Mazda always seemed loose and wobbly no matter how tight we tried to make them.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 11:12 PM   #4

What is reasonable success? Would you purchase the same ones again? There does not seem to be a whole lot of selection with regard to mirriors.

Quote:
I've used these with reasonable success on a 2001 RAV4.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:47 AM   #5

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
I have used these strap on ones, not on a Rav 4, but the work well enough to see what is behind you. Make sure the rubber strap is through the plastic clip good, I lost one on Saturday going down the QEII. You can get them at WalMart for under C$20.00

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-mirr...-on-mirrors.htm
brendadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:33 AM   #6

Quote:
What is reasonable success?
Means they're not amazingly tight, but very OK for me. I can see more behind the trailer with them, and they haven't fallen off yet, so that's a good start, and there's probably not that much more to expect from any attached mirrors unless you bolt them on. But I haven't tried any others, and I can't say how these will hold up in the long term. Plastic, you know... Made in wherever. Time will tell.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Means they're not amazingly tight, but very OK for me. I can see more behind the trailer with them, and they haven't fallen off yet, so that's a good start, and there's probably not that much more to expect from any attached mirrors unless you bolt them on. But I haven't tried any others, and I can't say how these will hold up in the long term. Plastic, you know... Made in wherever. Time will tell.
Here's an update, for what it's worth... I just made another 600 mile trip with that type of mirror, but this time it rained the whole time. The rubber feet constantly want to slip off when wet, and as soon as you want to tighten the straps a bit, the weak little plastic clips that hold onto the vehicles's mirror will just bend open and slip off. I'm not impressed.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:14 PM   #8

Trailer: Hunter Compact II
I have had good luck with the door mounted strap on mirrors.
Door mirrors
Mike Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:18 PM   #9

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
I am using CIPA mirror #11950. They were recommended by the service department of a local RV dealership. They work even better when I tuck the loose ends of the rubber strap under itself to keep it from flapping. $22.95 on the box
Kent I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:23 PM   #10

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Mckesh(sp???)
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:42 AM   #11

Thanks for the information, I purchased the ones from Crappy Tire and they seem to work well when not towing anything. I can hardly wait to see how they work in 14 days when I pick up the trailer. It should be awesome eh?
Old 07-02-2008, 07:15 PM   #12

I've read positive things about these Tow-N-See mirrors. Has anyone here tried them? They attach directly to the vehicle's mirror surface with a big fat succion cup and you can adjust them from the inside if you have power mirrors.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:32 PM   #13

Trailer: 73 Boler and 78 Biggar
Quote:
I've read positive things about these Tow-N-See mirrors. Has anyone here tried them? They attach directly to the vehicle's mirror surface with a big fat succion cup and you can adjust them from the inside if you have power mirrors.
Tow n see is what I use , I LOVE THEM ,they come on and off real quick and our just wide enough to see around the boler , I would highly recommend them!
John J. M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Tow n see is what I use , I LOVE THEM ,they come on and off real quick and our just wide enough to see around the boler , I would highly recommend them!
John,

How long have you been using them? Don't you find the suction cups take too much real estate off the vehicle's mirrors (if you want to keep them installed while you travel around without the trailer attached)? And do they stay put in wet or hot weather?
Old 07-03-2008, 07:22 AM   #15

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
I have a set of those mirrors and like them.... but have to say I dont always use tow mirrors with the Scamp.. I dont know if its a "have' to thing here in WA.. as the trailer isnt 8 ft wide??
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote