Mirrors - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-22-2014, 02:51 PM   #15

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
I've towed with and without extra mirrors, and it is more comfortable having the mirrors even though one may get by without them for a while. I used the same kind as Radar1 and they work well, however they only last for a couple of seasons before the straps deteriorate and break.

A while back I saw a post about a mirror that attaches to the top of the existing mirror's housing with a couple of thumbscrews (IIRC), and they looked really good. I'll probably buy one of that type next.

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:02 PM   #16

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
This is the mirror Mike.

Milenco Grand Aero Towing Mirror | Milenco Limited | Caravan Products | Caravan Security | UK

You'll find them on Amazon and at Costco.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:00 PM   #17

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDenny View Post
Had a RAV4 towing a 6'8" Snoozy. Never thought of mirror extensions when we picked it up, bought them the next day as I felt very uncomfortable with the poor rear view. The mirrors helped a lot but came with their own slipping and vibration problems. A rear view safety camera system was the ultimate fix.

You can't do that for the trip home unless the factory mounts the camera for you but I'd take at least one extension mirror. An extra set of eyes when you are turning or changing lanes doesn't hurt either.

Denny Wolfe
Wanderingourway.wordpress.com
Did you do the rear view camera yourself Denny? How? Got pics?

Thanks!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd Escape 2L Ecoboost with 3500# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:07 PM   #18

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
I got these for my F150: Amazon.com: CIPA 11600 Ford Custom Pair Towing Mirrors: Automotive

They're okay, but 1st off, I rarely use the passenger side one. The driver's side one though allows me to see closer behind the trailer than my regular stock mirror will. Basically I want to install a rear view camera on the back of our egg. That means another monitor on my dash along with the truck rear view camera monitor and the GPS!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd Escape 2L Ecoboost with 3500# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:35 PM   #19

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
I got these for my F150: Amazon.com: CIPA 11600 Ford Custom Pair Towing Mirrors: Automotive

They're okay, but 1st off, I rarely use the passenger side one. The driver's side one though allows me to see closer behind the trailer than my regular stock mirror will. Basically I want to install a rear view camera on the back of our egg. That means another monitor on my dash along with the truck rear view camera monitor and the GPS!

Frank
I've got those for my Blazer. The one problem I had with them is they are a little heavy and if your existing mirror mounts are worn, they will shake like heck with the extension on. I ended up replacing my passenger side mirror because I couldn't get it to tighten up. Once I installed the new mirror, I decided I didn't need the passenger side extension anyway since I am almost always in the right hand lane.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:47 PM   #20

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
On my Savana, I can only see the top corners of my Trillium, so I don't see the point of additional mirrors.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:03 PM   #21

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Don't forget the unwritten rule of "if you're pulling a camper we must pass you" so the better you can see what those people behind you are doing the better off you are.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:57 PM   #22

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Thanks Everyone for your replies. I will go with the extra mirrors, seems like the safe thing to do. I really do appreciate your time . Carl
Old 07-22-2014, 09:40 PM   #23

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
For twelve years I towed a 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe with a 2000 Ford F-150. No need for extra mirrors. Now I'm towing Ten Forward. Eight inches wider and towing with a 2014 Ford F-150. I still don't think I need a mirror on the drivers side. That extra small spot mirror in the top corner lets me see the rear for a long ways. The mirror I'm going to need is for the passenger side (objects are closer than they appear), and the awning arms on Ten Forward interfer with what I can see. I've tried towing twice now without that mirror... It's gonna get put on before the third trip. I bought a pair of CIPA mirrors like Huck, only for my tug. CIPA 11800 Ford F-150 Custom Towing Mirror - Pair
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:25 AM   #24

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
We also recently went through the process of prepping for a trek to Backus to pick up our first ever trailer (a 13') and this forum so so very helpful in our preparations. I tried several of the available towing mirrors for our Highlander and also settled on the Melenco Grand Aero mentioned in the earlier post. They are easy to install, are fairly resistant to vibration, and work really well for us. Although I can "get by" without them, a short tow without installing them made it very apparent how much safer and comfortable I am with the additional rear visibility they provide.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:34 PM   #25

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Alabama
Carl, We pull an EggCamper with a Highlander. Never felt totally comfortable with my rearview field of vision, especially on the passenger side. Bit the bullet and put extension mirrors on both sides (CIPA brand) - big improvement in the confidence factor from being able to see further behind us. But then I realized I still couldn't see aggressive drivers coming clear up on our camper's bumper - the kind who suddenly whip out around you in the blink of an eye to pass you (on either side). So we bit the bullet again and mounted a full-time wireless camera on the back of the camper. My wife keeps an eye on the camera monitor while we drive and lets me know if someone is really up on our rear. If someone starts passing us on either side, she lets me know once they make their move to be sure I know what's about to happen. It's great having 4 eyes watching essentially a full 360 degree view around us, and she has fun watching traffic come and go from that rearview perspective. Did we really need all that? Probably not. But between the two extension mirrors and wireless rearview camera, we spent a total of around $150, and we feel it's been worth every penny - just for the added piece of mind. Just my two cents worth on the topic....

Happy camping!!
Old 07-23-2014, 11:03 PM   #26

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I commend you for employing your co-driver to monitor the monitor, allowing you to keep your eyes on the road.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:49 AM   #27

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Changed My Mind

After reading all these posts and re-measuring my mirrors; I decided to order some towing mirrors. I'd rather err on the safe side. I ordered the same ones Glenn and others recommended in an earlier thread. The mirrors on the Subaru Forester taper smaller on the outside, and it looks like the mounts will work better than a strap arrangement on others. If they don't help; I can always return them.

We leave in 10 days! Carl, who was your salesman? Our's is Alan. Just curious.

Tom
Old 07-24-2014, 10:39 PM   #28

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I commend you for employing your co-driver to monitor the monitor, allowing you to keep your eyes on the road.
Thanks Glenn, but I really didn't have much say in the matter. Once my wife got her hands on the cute little color monitor, there was no getting it back from her. Her new toy, her new job, and I'm very thankful for it!