Mirrors - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2014, 05:03 PM   #21

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Don't forget the unwritten rule of "if you're pulling a camper we must pass you" so the better you can see what those people behind you are doing the better off you are.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:57 PM   #22

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Thanks Everyone for your replies. I will go with the extra mirrors, seems like the safe thing to do. I really do appreciate your time . Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:40 PM   #23

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
For twelve years I towed a 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe with a 2000 Ford F-150. No need for extra mirrors. Now I'm towing Ten Forward. Eight inches wider and towing with a 2014 Ford F-150. I still don't think I need a mirror on the drivers side. That extra small spot mirror in the top corner lets me see the rear for a long ways. The mirror I'm going to need is for the passenger side (objects are closer than they appear), and the awning arms on Ten Forward interfer with what I can see. I've tried towing twice now without that mirror... It's gonna get put on before the third trip. I bought a pair of CIPA mirrors like Huck, only for my tug. CIPA 11800 Ford F-150 Custom Towing Mirror - Pair
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:25 AM   #24

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
We also recently went through the process of prepping for a trek to Backus to pick up our first ever trailer (a 13') and this forum so so very helpful in our preparations. I tried several of the available towing mirrors for our Highlander and also settled on the Melenco Grand Aero mentioned in the earlier post. They are easy to install, are fairly resistant to vibration, and work really well for us. Although I can "get by" without them, a short tow without installing them made it very apparent how much safer and comfortable I am with the additional rear visibility they provide.
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:34 PM   #25

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Carl, We pull an EggCamper with a Highlander. Never felt totally comfortable with my rearview field of vision, especially on the passenger side. Bit the bullet and put extension mirrors on both sides (CIPA brand) - big improvement in the confidence factor from being able to see further behind us. But then I realized I still couldn't see aggressive drivers coming clear up on our camper's bumper - the kind who suddenly whip out around you in the blink of an eye to pass you (on either side). So we bit the bullet again and mounted a full-time wireless camera on the back of the camper. My wife keeps an eye on the camera monitor while we drive and lets me know if someone is really up on our rear. If someone starts passing us on either side, she lets me know once they make their move to be sure I know what's about to happen. It's great having 4 eyes watching essentially a full 360 degree view around us, and she has fun watching traffic come and go from that rearview perspective. Did we really need all that? Probably not. But between the two extension mirrors and wireless rearview camera, we spent a total of around $150, and we feel it's been worth every penny - just for the added piece of mind. Just my two cents worth on the topic....

Happy camping!!
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:03 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I commend you for employing your co-driver to monitor the monitor, allowing you to keep your eyes on the road.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:49 AM   #27

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Changed My Mind

After reading all these posts and re-measuring my mirrors; I decided to order some towing mirrors. I'd rather err on the safe side. I ordered the same ones Glenn and others recommended in an earlier thread. The mirrors on the Subaru Forester taper smaller on the outside, and it looks like the mounts will work better than a strap arrangement on others. If they don't help; I can always return them.

We leave in 10 days! Carl, who was your salesman? Our's is Alan. Just curious.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:39 PM   #28

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I commend you for employing your co-driver to monitor the monitor, allowing you to keep your eyes on the road.
Thanks Glenn, but I really didn't have much say in the matter. Once my wife got her hands on the cute little color monitor, there was no getting it back from her. Her new toy, her new job, and I'm very thankful for it!
Old 07-25-2014, 01:55 AM   #29

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
After reading all these posts and re-measuring my mirrors; I decided to order some towing mirrors. I'd rather err on the safe side. I ordered the same ones Glenn and others recommended in an earlier thread. The mirrors on the Subaru Forester taper smaller on the outside, and it looks like the mounts will work better than a strap arrangement on others. If they don't help; I can always return them.

We leave in 10 days! Carl, who was your salesman? Our's is Alan. Just curious.

Tom
Jim is our salesman. I first inquired in may, when i called back he had all the info we talked about on hand. Done deal. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:13 AM   #30

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Red face Tow mirrors

I bought a pair of these

Clip-On Tow Mirror - Four Corners 25855 - Mirrors - Camping World

at Camping World. They told me they are universal, but it is obvious to me that I have two right hand mirrors, both convex and hard to install on the left side.

I think I prefer my old fender mount ones, but I am concerned they could scratch the new car although they didn't scratch the old car.
Attached Thumbnails
DCP_2913.jpg  

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:11 AM   #31

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
Did you do the rear view camera yourself Denny? How? Got pics?

Thanks!

Frank

No pics but there wouldn't be much to show anyway. Camera is mounted over the door, required a 5/8" hole. Camera wire is routed along edges and behind cabinets so doesn't show. The car end has the monitor fastened to a cut off water bottle that sits in the center console cup holder. The wires just hide under the drivers seat when not in use. Getting the wire through the body of the vehicle was the most perplexing task. I found a plastic hole cover in the bottom of the trunk under the spare tire (2014 Jeep GC) that I didn't mind drilling a hole into.

Denny Wolfe
Wanderingourway.wordpress.com
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:30 PM   #32

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I tow my EggCamper with a Chevy Silverado and use the mirrors on the truck. Have no need for towing mirrors. I did use them with the stickies we had and really needed them.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:44 PM   #33

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
We have a 2005 Ford Escape. There are no mirrors that claim to fit our model other than those claiming to be "universal".

I'm another that leave the curtains open front and rear which allows me to use the rearview mirror to some extent.

The odd thing is on extended mirrors one would angle them in but on the stock mirrors the best view is obtained by angling mirror out pretty far.

One way to test or adjust a mirror is use a walmart parking lot. Go out in the empty part, pull in so trailer is in spot behind tow vehicle. The parking space lines behind you provide a "lane" reference. Adjust mirrors to provide view of "lanes". If desired have a helper stand or walk behind trailer or beside vehicle to establish any blind spots.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 10:43 PM   #34

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
Did you do the rear view camera yourself Denny? How? Got pics? Thanks! Frank
Frank, For what it's worth, I bought a 25' video/power extension cable (~$5; 20' would have worked if I could have found one) and ran it along the frame channel from front to rear (inside protective 3/4" PVC conduit). Then hung the camera on the spare tire facing rearward and plugged it into that end of the video/power extension cable. Next, I attached the video wireless transmitter to the front end of the video/power extension cable, used alligator clamps to attach the transmitter power leads (+/-) directly to one of the batteries on the camper tongue, then wrapped the fully connected transmitter in an old washcloth to protect it a bit, and just dropped the transmitter into the battery box and strapped lid back on the battery box. From that point, the camera is live. Then I attached the wireless video receiver and monitor to a 12V power plug, and all my wife has to do to watch the camera image is slip the power plug into the 12V power outlet in the console between the front seats. The wireless signal only has to go from the camper tongue, through the rear window of the Highlander, and so far, it's been a clear image with no problem. When we stop to eat or sightsee, if we're worried about anything getting stolen, we just pop the camera off the spare tire, unplug it from the extension cable, and tuck it and the monitor in the console between the front seats so both are out of sight. Works for us.

When I get some time, I'm going to work out a temporary mount for the camera on the back of the Highlander pointed at the hitch ball (powered through a 4-pin trailer receiver) so I can first use the camera to help me hitch up the camper then move the camera to the rear of the camper for travel.

I hope that all makes sense....
Old 07-27-2014, 04:34 AM   #35

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Dale, that sounds like a good plan, but I wonder how wireless would work with my extended cab pickup with a long box? For the most part, it seems folks usually say go direct, but maybe I'll give the wireless a try & see how it goes.

I put on a direct wire rear view camera for the pickup to assist in hitching, & now have it down to just backing up once, get out, drop the tongue down, done. Not too difficult to do. Tied the camera into the driver's side reverse light, works great. I think the kit cost me 48 bucks from Amazon.

Thanks!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:03 AM   #36

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
We also travel with the Grand Aero mirrors when towing our 19' Escape with the FJ Cruiser. They provide a great improvement in rear visibility, are fast and simple to add/remove, and were reasonably priced.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:28 AM   #37

Name: McKenna Lynn
Trailer: Considering Scamp 13
Colorado
I am hoping to order a Scamp near springtime and have never towed either. Any tips for learning on the road?
McKenna Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:12 AM   #38

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Hi and welcome. Good question from you before you have to tow. My answer to you may be different than others may put out there. Towing a trailer going forward is pretty easy. Depending on how long the trailer is will deturmine how much you need to make any turns in town on surface streets. The longer the trailer from the ball to the trailer axle the turn will be wider. Think of the semi's your seen in town making a turn and needing both lanes. The shorter it is pretty much tracks the same as the TV depending on how tight the turn is. With any freeway/highway traveling you really don't have to worry about tracking. Overall I always drive with my eyes way ahead of where I'm at on the road. That comes from 20 years of commercial trucking. Setting myself up for an exit long before I need to be in that lane because people really didn't want to let a large truck and trailer to merge in front of them, even two miles ahead of my exit. Might have slowed them down a few seconds . I still drive that way today in my personal cars. Old habits die hard but I'm never in a hurry anymore.
I guess my best info for you would be to borrow/rent a utility trailer and take it to a large parking lot and do a little practicing of how a trailer tracks behind your TV in short/long turns and also do some backing up using the painted lines. The biggest thing with backing up is setting up your trailer for backing up is to "break" it so when you stop your forward travel you only have to chase it back. Not sure of how to explain that other than with the trailer and TV at an angle you really only have to back up and only staighten the trailer when it is in line to your final parking location with very little wheel movment of the TV. It's not hard, just takes a bit of practice. A 13' Scamp will track very close to the TV.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:30 AM   #39

Name: McKenna Lynn
Trailer: Considering Scamp 13
Colorado
Dave, if I am visualizing this correctly, and there is ample room, I just try to go forward in such a way as when I start to back up, the trailer will go straight in. In the case of not enough room, or angled driveways, is it possible to back up in such a way as to tip the trailer sideways? I'm assuming, as a newbie, I would avoid sharp angles backing up at any cost.
I know that driving forward is not the problem. I'm worried about breaking for the lights and not being able to stop. I have nightmare daydreams about going 2 mph.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
McKenna Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:14 AM   #40

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I would second Dave's suggestion, rent or borrow a trailer, even a utility trailer and practice in a large empty parking lot. If you can drive a lawn tractor, or some other weight such as a quad runner into the trailer so much the better but not essential.

Early one Sunday morning in a parking lot my wife learned enough about driving a 38 ft. school bus camper with a stick shift and air brakes to be a relief driver on the highway. Used rest area to change drivers so she did not have to drive in traffic, by end of second long trip she was comfortable enough to pull off highway into gas stations.

You just need to get a feel for how it accelerates, brakes and turns. If you want to be ambitious you can practice backing into some parking slots to get an idea of how that works.

Best advice in the world is "drive with my eyes way ahead on the road" AIM High with your eyes. This gives you the time to change lanes or stop safely with a trailer. Having a navigator that can read map and road signs leaves you free to focus on traffic.

On stopping for the lights, if there are crosswalks look at the ones for pedestrians going the same way you are. The crosswalk lights start flashing don't walk ahead of your traffic light changing. If you look far ahead (as you should) and see green traffic light but crosswalk flashing don't walk then be prepared to stop. Watch for it in your normal driving and you will see what I mean. Just an extra "edge" you can give yourself.

Some crosswalks even provide a count down of number of seconds until light changes. But I have only seen those in cities.

There is always reserve pull through sites for any camping on your way back or your first few outings while you get a feel for things. And backing in after dark is much less pleasant.

My own pet peeve, if you are going to help guide me in stand in front where I can see you and your hand signals! If you need me to stop so you can go back and check for obstacles fine, I'll stop, you check then come back up front. At the very least if you can't see me in the mirror I can't see you so hand signals don't do any good, same with hand signals in the dark. Pointing a flash light behind the trailer then pointing left or right while standing in the dark is not really helpful. Whew! feel better getting that off my chest.

The fact that you are a little paranoid is a GOOD thing if it makes you use caution.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote